Things related to Taiwan schools (buses, cafeterias, etc.)

They do.
Two separate Neihu public schools for my children had kitchens and cafeterias with lady workers making different (healthy) meals each day.

When I was in second grade, 1988 or something, I remember schools didn’t have cafeteria at all. We had to bring our own lunch and the teacher would put it in a food warmer to keep it warm until lunch time. We had those stainless steel lunch boxes that we carried with us.

When did schools in Taiwan start having lunch brought over by an outside company?

The meals were not “brought” over by outside company.
They were (are still) cooked inside those 2 public schools in their kitchens.

Why are people so hung up on what school buses look like in Taiwan and whether they are private or public?

I know what school buses look like. If there are a bunch of kids in uniform sitting in a van or bus, then it’s a school bus. Same in Hong Kong. They are also privately owned in HK, contracted by each school.

I’m just surprised by the lines and lines of scooters and cars waiting to pick up kids in front of schools. And yes, I’m aware that some parents hire their own vans, but that’s my point: Why don’t schools here provide buses for everybody (except those within walking distance)? Why do parents still need to drop off their kids or hire vans?

Maybe the school doesn’t have funding or policy to allow it, as to why not, who knows?

time passes, and things change, eh? (it’s been an option for a long time, and many new buses have ac these days).

yea, no.

What’s f’ in annoying in the US is when there’s school bus service and traffic is all backed up because of all the snowflakes that are dropped off and picked up instead.

Very few kids go to the schools that are in their geographic area so that’s very silly

It’s probably because kids died from some guy passing school buses while kids are getting on or off, so they made the law.

Reminded me of this incident

Yea, if the cop needs to pass the bus he should at least turn on lights and sirens so the kid sees/hears it coming. They can break traffic laws in an emergency but they must signal appropriately.

A lot of those rules regarding school zone is the result of a string of deaths, that’s why they’re so strict.

These are official school buses in Taiwan. They are legally obligated to be painted this way:

c6c684f4868b55b0a565cbe17e919b34

Schools have fleets of them. Mostly private schools, but some public schools also have them.

1351649_2

There are even school bus toys specifically painted this way.

The big charter buses are hired for long field trips.

2 Likes

They’re usually yellow so they are conspicuous.

Difference is that school buses don’t have that rolling traffic light rule, and of course Taiwanese drivers tend to have crap spacial awareness…

Some schools do have them. The ones I have seen are all bigger schools with higher student loads. Smaller schools, especially elementary have a business deliver the lunch. I sit and eat with my kid and talk to the guy each time the lunch truck shows up. Same with busses. Bigger schools have their own. Many don’t and parents hire their own transport.

Read what I wrote previous as per color and bus type.

Hey do. Mostly. But think about student A lives 10km away and that makes every person on said bus late. It’s really just simple logistics. Poor parents can apply for welfare support.

As tp why there are scooters. If you see 100 scooters, you will receive 100 answers. Some dumb, some logical. I don’t trust taiwanese drivers, so we pick up and drop off our kid. Always. We also have a zero policy rule for our kid on a scooter, also related to safety issues.

I once taught a girl, elementary who lives across the street from the back of the school. Her grandma insisted to drive her on scooter around the building to the front. Crossing g on foot, 3m. Driving 100m. Don’t look for logic in places it doesn’t exist. You will give yourself a stroke :smiling_face_with_tear:
Take home point was Taiwan does have loads of bus and other transport available to children.

It is the right of the family how they want to deliver their kids to and from schools.

Parents get to go into the school and join their children for lunch?

If you arrange ahead of time and register for extra food to be prepared/delivered. More for special occasions like sports day, graduation, shows etc. Not everyday classes presumably.

Didn’t you read the post I was replying to?

So school buses are obviously needed.

Of course older students can take public transport.

Taiwan has busses. They tend to use vans, but it is the same deal. There is also a big enough industry here for people to pay by the month to have their kids delivered to and from school. Even super remote areas have government funded busses. Definitely a thing here :slight_smile: you can also call and get busses to pick you up and drop off, that’s more a scheduled thing for social services/welfare. For example old folks going out, seeing the doctor etc. But even me as a young foreigner have done this when injured and need to get from house to hospital in non emergencies. I would assume this may be difficult without mandarin, taiwanese, hakka, aboriginal languages and so on. I doubt they have perfect English service, but I get that feeling it probably exists just might take more time and effort.

1 Like

A wise man once said: “don’t apply your logic to their 邏輯”