Things that age well

General Bashar Al-Assad. Responsible for almost twenty years of genocide and chemical attacks on his own people. A living breathing war criminal. Still going from strength to strength. And at 55 he still looks dapper in a suit.
You’ve got to hand it to the man. He’s an untouchable monster.

He on insta?

Sure. https://www.instagram.com/syrianpresidency/

I’m not sure he replies, but you could slide into his DM’s and ask him arousing questions about the 2013 slaughter of over a 1000 Syrians using chemical weapons, for example.

2 Likes

Mario Cipollini
Legend

Then

Now

1 Like

I’m not sure what thread this aboot anymore.

It’s not aging well, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I blame the OP. Derivative threads rarely end well.

Yeah, but he’s a vampire.

1 Like

:laughing:

Canadian accents never get old!?

Noop, they doont. But in all seriousness, its the frenchies fault on that point…

The Dark Knight

I’m a big fan of the MCU, but that movie never gets old.

3 Likes

I find it terribly overpraised. It’s slightly better than other superhero movies in that main characters actually die in it, and Heath Ledger was good (though also terribly overpraised), but it’s still a superhero movie through and through. The ending (Gary Oldman’s cringey monologue) in particular is just awful.

The cinematography is good, though. Can’t really deny this aspect.

1 Like

:kissing_closed_eyes:

Agreed. Though, outside of nostalgia with the old ones, i find the dark night trilogy probably the best of all the batmans. And up there as far as super hero movies…which are overwhelmingly terrible compared to many other sub categories. Aflecks batman catastrophe should be met with jail terms. Bale did a better job than the rest.

I really enjoyed the two Tim Burton films. Things had gotten so dire ( “You’re compost”) by the time Nolan turned up that anything half decent would have been a relief. I enjoyed the dark tones of The first two Nolan films. The dark knight rises didn’t do it for me.
Then Affleck… He really drove home for me the meaning of the expression, “I’m getting too old for this shit.”

1 Like

Haha. Totally! I agree the first couple kodern day one werent bad. Im not sure if thats nostalgia or they were better though. The dark night trilogy to be hobest i loved btman begins. I think thats the name, where he went all to the roots. Agreed the later ones went down hill quick.

But they are all FAR better than that star studded batman with Arnold, sylverstone, carrey, the men in black old guy and clooney. That one should of been awesome, and i am sure its not bad after a medium dose of mushrooms, but…ya…superhero movies generally suck. At least the superhero movies based on comic books suck.

You are very much right for affleck. I mean, damn. No bad will towards the guy, i mean if someone paid me millions of dollars to suck ass, i would too.

1 Like

Spot on. It had all the makings of an Adam West/ Burt Ward/ Cesar Romero classic. What they came up with though was some kind of turd casserole.

Affleck was in a dark place in his private life at that time. He was basically being himself in a latex suit. It was a kind of therapy for him, which left those who watched it needing a therapist by the end.

Batman et al form parts of our childhoods. Leaping around, being heroes, it still lingers in us as adults ( "Parkour, Michael. Parkour.) There’s something evolutionary in there too. It speaks to the ape in us. But I swear to God I’m getting tired of watching the Waynes dying in that alley.

1 Like

Ya, its true. I grew up as a kid buying marvel comics, hated DC. didnt read many all the way through as they were fairly lame. my thouught was, at the time, they would gain value and i could sell them later haha. Magic cards and hot wheels the same. God dang thats embarrasing. Still have boxes in storage back home lol. But always liked batman as a story (not always the storytelling), as it could be anyone. He isnt a mutant, freak, imaginary mystical being. Just a dude with money and motivation. And all bullshit aside, thats what a superheroe can be in reality…anyone that cares enough and works hard enough to make a difference.

Then, damnit. He is a rich spoiled fucktard that didnt work at all for his money and just lived by his dads one liners. Damnit…super hero movies are all shit! Like learning santa was a lie.

1 Like

Winter Soldier was great. Punch punch punch end.

There’s a story (apocryphal maybe) that if George Clooney meets anyone who saw Batman and Robin at the cinema, he refunds them their money.

Eventually those cards and hot wheels will have value. Don’t bin them.

1 Like