Things that function as e-readers

Hey guys, I was at 3c the other day and I passed by the Lenovo Ideapad for 18,900. I have been waiting/looking for a decent Color-Reader for a while without having to pay apple’s price not to mention I don’t like the company as a whole. Anyone have experience with a thin device like the ideapad they would like to share? I think in the modern day of e-readers, you need at least a 10 inch screen for most of the magazines that are published these days. I currently have a 1 year old black and white e-reader I picked up from Korea that is great for regular paperbacks but terrible for magazines.

Isn’t 18,900 about the same as Apple’s price?

I’m going to wait to see what comes out in the next 6 months, as I don’t need one right away. There should be a lot of Android tablets coming out soon. However, I think for reading e-books I’d prefer something with an e-ink or pixel qi screen, as they’re easier on the eyes for long-term reading.

So far, the iPad is actually cheaper than competing Android tablets that have come out. However as scomargo pointed out, you will start to see a lot of hybrid devices over the next few months that try to bridge the gap between e-ink devices and full tablets. The Nook Color already seems to be one of them, however it only works in the US for now.

I was reading that the Ipad when it does come out here will be between the 20,000 to 30,000 mark (China Post). I understand about the e-ink but does everyone have experience using an Ipad or other device for reading use? I was very tempted by the Lenovo Ideapad, it was thin, lightweight and the screen was just the right side to start reading Popular Mechanics again.

Good 10" color reader right now means iPad.

This may be different maybe a year from now. Or not.

The IdeaPad screen is resistive, which is a non-starter IMO.

So IMO, the options right now to meet what you want is to buy an iPad or to wait.

Before getting my Kindle, I used my smart phone as an e-reader. It was nice because I always had my phone, so whenever I had a few minutes, I could read a bit. People asked if the font size was uncomfortable on my eyes, but I didn’t think so. I had to turn the pages quite often, but who cares? It was just a quick swipe of the finger.

I did a lot of thinking about whether I wanted to get a dedicated e-book reader, a tablet computer to use both as a reader and computing device or just stick to my notebook for computing and smart phone for occasional reading. For my own personal situation, I chose to get the Kindle reader.

Tablet computers are too expensive and not really well suited for either extended reading (eye strain and battery life) or computing (ergonomics of typing on a virtual keypad and looking at a flat device). Using the phone to read was OK for short periods of time, but for longer reading the eye strain and battery life are an issue. Both smart phones and tablets are back-lit, which is really hard on your eyes. If none of these issues are important to you, then the convenience of having a tablet for mobile computing and e-book reading might be worth it.

At the end of the day, with the low cost and compact size of the Kindle 3 and given that via Whispersync I can still pick up where I left off using my iPhone should I ever not feel like popping the Kindle into my bag, that was my choice. E-ink is far easier to read for longer periods than LED monitors. I prefer to use my notebook for mobile computing.

Samsung is announcing its own version of the iPad… 25K…

For a 7" screen. The device is about half the size of the iPad. The base model iPad (which is what I have) sells for $500 US, which is about $16500 NT. I don’t see that model going higher than $20K when it is released here.

FWIW, I use the iPad mainly as a reading device - both for blogs and Kindle books. I’ve had no problems with eye strain, although I rarely go over a couple of hours at a time. Battery life is a non issue - I usually charge it once every few days. The biggest difference between ereaders and tablets are that the latter have backlights and so can be used in low light, and they also do a much better job of surfing the net, since they are in full color.

For a 7" screen. The device is about half the size of the iPad. The base model iPad (which is what I have) sells for $500 US, which is about $16500 NT. I don’t see that model going higher than $20K when it is released here.

FWIW, I use the iPad mainly as a reading device - both for blogs and Kindle books. I’ve had no problems with eye strain, although I rarely go over a couple of hours at a time. Battery life is a non issue - I usually charge it once every few days. The biggest difference between ereaders and tablets are that the latter have backlights and so can be used in low light, and they also do a much better job of surfing the net, since they are in full color.[/quote]

a friend who’s at samsung and visiting now used the galaxy tab for a bit.
he said the tab is ok, but it’s obviously “beta"ish. feels people will simply just buy an the more mature ipad.
especially when the tablet glut happens and consumer confusion really starts to set in.
the typing thing ends up a pain in the ass on the 7”, as predicted. really reduces utility.
unless you sandpaper your fingers.
turns out the 10" is just as portable as the 7" in practice. since you can’t put the 7" in your pocket.