Things that Taiwan does better than where you come from?

Inspired by this topic.
Since most of the users here are expatriates, I think it might be an interesting topic to discuss. You know, every dark cloud has a silver lining that kind of stuff. :laughing:
A blatant “NOTHING” is also very much appreciated. :roflmao:

Healthcare
Gun control
MRT systems
Lack of minimum balance fees for bank accounts
Convenience stores
Internet

I got asked this the other day and the things I came up with were

Mrt, I don’t use it much but every time I do I can’t get over how good it is

Countdown displays at traffic lights,but this does seem to encourage people to jump the lights so maybe 50/50

Cheep fuel

Elevated roads

Everything… except tourism/air quality

No late fees on utility bill payments

Computer building and repair. Instead of shipping your computer or printer only to wait weeks for it to be sent back and paying through the nose for the privilege, I can just take my computer or peripheral to the designated repair shop, which is usually not far, and get it fixed While U Wait, often free of charge. Also, it’s easy to go shopping for parts at real stores instead of having to order online and wait for delivery like in the US.

Benefit of living on a small island nation, I guess.

Convenience of, well, everything. From supermarkets to telecom outlets, I can walk or bike everywhere. Back home, I needed to drive.

Recycling. Americans just don’t really believe in it.

Healthchare. Needed to be said again.

Buses are reliable, efficient, and cheap. Taxis are not unaffordable.

Sense of safety and security when walking the streets.

Affordable dining.

Respect for education.

Tolerance for the gay community.

I can keep going. OP, this question is kind of silly. If we thought NOTHING in Taiwan was better than back home, we wouldn’t be here. It’s a matter of picking and choosing what your priorities are. For the time being, I still prefer life in TW to life back home. That may change one day, but Taiwan is a great place, dirt and all.

[quote=“Chris”]Computer building and repair. Instead of shipping your computer or printer only to wait weeks for it to be sent back and paying through the nose for the privilege, I can just take my computer or peripheral to the designated repair shop, which is usually not far, and get it fixed While U Wait, often free of charge. Also, it’s easy to go shopping for parts at real stores instead of having to order online and wait for delivery like in the US.

Benefit of living on a small island nation, I guess.[/quote]

In Belgium they charge you to just have a look at at what the problem could be … than they estimate what it could cost … than they tell you it can’t be fixed cheaply and will take some time.
Just ask someone to come and fix your washing machine or any appliance … they charge to drive up to your house even nothing is done yet …
So, sometimes I wonder how people make money here, but they do.
Speed … CHT comes to fix your internet or MOD in record time … don’t expect your cable or phone company in Belgium to be there soon and without charging.

MRT, taxis, traffic fine enforcement, customer service (except restaurants). There’s more but that’s what I can think of at the moment.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Chris”]Computer building and repair. Instead of shipping your computer or printer only to wait weeks for it to be sent back and paying through the nose for the privilege, I can just take my computer or peripheral to the designated repair shop, which is usually not far, and get it fixed While U Wait, often free of charge. Also, it’s easy to go shopping for parts at real stores instead of having to order online and wait for delivery like in the US.

In Belgium they charge you to just have a look at at what the problem could be … than they estimate what it could cost … than they tell you it can’t be fixed cheaply and will take some time.
Just ask someone to come and fix your washing machine or any appliance … they charge to drive up to your house even nothing is done yet …
Speed … CHT comes to fix your internet or MOD in record time … don’t expect your cable or phone company in Belgium to be there soon and without charging.[/quote]

So true, we have our house back home rented out and to have someone come and fix the dishwasher for our tenants cost almost nt$17000

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Chris”]Computer building and repair. Instead of shipping your computer or printer only to wait weeks for it to be sent back and paying through the nose for the privilege, I can just take my computer or peripheral to the designated repair shop, which is usually not far, and get it fixed While U Wait, often free of charge. Also, it’s easy to go shopping for parts at real stores instead of having to order online and wait for delivery like in the US.

Speed … CHT comes to fix your internet or MOD in record time … don’t expect your cable or phone company in Belgium to be there soon and without charging.[/quote]

It’s even worse over here in Malaysia. They charge you for coming over but they never come when they say and don’t even bother to call. You’re lucky if someone shows up 3 days after they scheduled. Oh and you get charged first world rates for this.

Took us a month to get a cracked window fixed.

Like I’ve said, it’s chabuduo and mañana here together. :fume:

Public Transport
Close availability of food at all hours (I live in a small town here and only need to walk a couple of blocks).
Convenience stores (I don’t think we have them in NZ even though many petrol stations could pass for the same thing)
Motorcycle repairs
Bicycle Manufacturing
Movie Theaters (I didn’t know 2nd time around theaters existed before coming to Taiwan)
Providing a great choice of drinks (I always feel limited in my choices when supermarket shopping back home)
Internet broadband

Access to affordable healthcare and broadband are all i can think of. But that doesn’t make it any less an interesting place to live.

Gun control - I can stroll around without looking over my back
The peoples here do services without charging any fee to come to your home and check the pipes, cables, computer, appliances, AC. In my country a service/repair guy usually charges a fee just to examine your appliances.
I can eat anywhere without breaking my wallet. Eating outside is not a luxury in Taiwan. Men don’t need wives in this country to cook, do laundry, this is a good place for a single guy.

Than the UK? Lots of things.

• Low, no nonsense tax.
    -After the explosion in Ksiung, it took the military about a day to get there. Last year, when England was in severe danger of critical flooding, the UK gov did nothing, and only sent out Prince William and Harry to Chertsey after 2 months of angry complaints.
  • Liberal rules for small businesses: Set up a street cart or restaurant with no hassle.
  • TCM on Nat Health.
  • Properly supervised vote counting.
  • More streamlined rubbish collection, and a simple pay per bag levy.
  • Cleaner beaches.
  • Less violence in the streets.

Thanks for providing an antidote to another tedious gripefest.

The dentists here are convenient if you just need a check up or a filling.

Chinese food - most of the Chinese food in the UK is a sticky, gloopy pile of pick a colour sauce, with pick a meat which is supposed to be from pick a random Chinese province, but actually tastes the same as everything else of the menu. It probably is the same as everything else on the menu actually, except the colours that went into the sauce. Seriously if you go to one of these places, they’re mostly run by Cantonese people, you can order a dozen dishes - Thai green curry, Japanese seafood udon noodles, gong bao chicken, and just think of anything else that could be from China or one of the surrounding countries - and I guarantee it will all taste like oily, soy drenched slop. Makes me miserable when I do go home and my parents or friends want to get a Chinese takeaway. The city closest to my hometown in the UK is Newcastle. It has a growing China town that’s been there for at least 25 years or so. What’s ironic is that the best Chinese food in Newcastle isn’t even served in China town. A guy from the mainland checked out the scene and decided to do authentic Chinese food, for the growing population of Chinese students and for locals who wanted to try the real stuff. He didn’t want anything to do with the fake stuff in the so-called China town, so open a place a few hundred meters away. His restaurant is pretty damn good, you can get dong-po pork, numbing fish soup, etc. etc. It’s called Hei Hei for anyone who ever goes to Newcastle… starting to digress a bit… but yeah - Chinese food in Taiwan is better.

You’re right, but I sure as hell miss Lemon Chicken. Can’t find it here in a streetside restaurant for love nor money.

Vietnamese restaurants tend to be more authentic back in the UK. Less MSG, less gloop.

When you coming back? :slight_smile:

Here we go again.

Yes, Taiwan makes poisonous food better than us. It makes the farce of government slightly more farcical than the English manage. It makes education even more of a dumbass treadmill than we manage. It’s better at being racist to foreigners than we manage. It does pollution better than us.

I mean, England manages to sell horse as beef, have a shitty government, pollute the land through fracking, educates kids to be idiots and is in the process of allowing racists to be politicians. But Taiwan does it slightly better.

Yay.

When you coming back? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Tomorrow. :slight_smile: