Things to do for three days in Tokyo

I’m going to be staying in the Shinagawa district for a few days on my vacation and I’m trying to brainstorm a travel plan. I’m hoping to keep it pretty laidback and avoid running like crazy all over the place trying to fit as much possible in such a short trip, so I’d like to keep it fairly local to where I’m staying. Anyway, I figure most of you have probably visited Tokyo a few times, or perhaps even lived there, so I thought I’d see what you would recommend and pull some ideas.

I’d like to see a Shinto temple or two and do some shopping in the kinds of places that you can only find in Japan, but aside from that I’m not really sure where I should go or what I should see. I’m open to any and all suggestions, even slightly seedy ones…:eyes:

1 Like

Tokyo is awesome. Being based in the Shinagawa area will be reasonably convenient but you not be in one of the most relaxing districts! Do you know what will be your nearest station?

Regarding temples and shrines: this is not really Tokyo’s strong point (Kyoto and environs are better at this), but it is definitely worth stopping in at Meiji Shrine (right at Harajuku Station) to have a look. The impressive torii is built with wood from Alishan, revealing how Taiwan is still intimately linked to national sites in Japan. Less touristy but still awesome is Yoyogi Park, immediately next to Meiji Shrine. It’s a wonderful urban space, and linked up with the US, as this was a military site during the US occupation. If you’re really good, try to find your way to the back of the park to Little Nap Coffee Stand—their lattes (especially the iced ones served in a jar) are out of this world! If coffee is your thing, Tokyo is incredible.

Those are some places to start, among many possibilities. Be prepared to get lost. And enjoy the city!

Guy

2 Likes

See if anyone actually knows this song

https://youtu.be/IWWwM2wwMww

Actually, watch out for these motherfuckers…

https://youtu.be/eVTmtfzPPCI

1 Like

Something fun… slightly seedy perhaps…but fun and harmless. Yes, it is a maid cafe.

I’ll share what I’ve got so far:

DAY 1: SHIBUYA, obligatory sightseeing
parasite museum on the way to
hachiko memorial statue and
shopping at LOFT and
meiji shrine
then shimokitazawa for vintage shopping

DAY 2: cute stuff and weirdo otaku shit
sanrio world ginza on the way to
akihabara district (7 story sex toy store?!)

DAY 3: stick around SHINAGAWA, leisurely activities
hara contemporary art museum
aquarium
onsen

Might tweak a few things here and there but that’s the current agenda.

I considered this but I’m not sure I’d get much out of it. I do wanna explore some of the stranger things Tokyo has to offer though, because this is the first time I’m not going with family members.

If I had a couple more days I’d venture out to Otome Road and check out the yaoi. Heh!

They got those in HsiMenTing, for boys and girls

Maid cafes? In my Taipei??

Not sure this should be a priority, as you’ll see what it’s about heading to and from the station each day. But hey, who knows? You may end up loving this hood. : P

Guy

Yeah, I might change day 3 depending on how the trip goes up to that point. That’s why I’ve got the main destinations stacked in front.

1 Like

This song always makes me think of that Jackass sequence.

edit: Oh! that’s the second video you posted. Duh…

Can’t speak for your Taipei, but, in my youngest’s Taipei, yeah. She and her friends used to frequent them when they had cash to burn.
It got old pretty fast, FWIW.

Me, if I was there on a Sunday, I’d be checking out the Harajuku Elvii…

https://youtu.be/VDwSsigeIps

YM, of course, MV

1 Like

Robot restaurant!!! And I agree with @afterspivak about the Meiji shrine and Yoyogi Park.

But seriously, Robot Restaurant!! You’ll thank me.

But don’t order the food, just the single serve sake glasses. And get the ones that the label is painted on, nit a sticker. You can keep them and they make great little glasses.

1 Like

There used to be one at the end of the 前站 underground mall. Haven’t been over there in a while.

Final Score:

Old: 1
Punk: 0

1 Like

I don’t know when you’re going, but if you happen to be in the area on Sunday April 7 you’ve got to take the train 30 minutes south to Kawasaki to see the Kanamara Penis Festival at the Kanayama Shrine. A group of us went two years ago and had a blast.

1 Like

just make sure you eat a good ramen and bbq place. when i went there with my gf we stumbled into both and they were the best ramen and bbq places i’ve been too. the ramen in particular, nothings came close since. try to find a yokocho place too, theres one under a bridge somewhere. super cool. like the izakayas here but alleys full of them, and they are just better.

ueno market is really cool to if you have time. i think tokyo is basically my favorite place ever.

1 Like

Hey, you’re the second person to recommend this. I’m definitely gonna have to fit it into the plan now…

1 Like

Eat ramen. I love ramen. There’s many kinds.

1 Like