Things you do a lot of, but never get good at

The goal of debate is truth right? I’ve never seen debate in terms of winning or losing, unless the ‘win’ is saying true things.

In HS, I was pretty good at golf. I played on the golf team and practice daily during the season. I can never get anywhere near that good again. If anything, I get too frustrated and give up playing. I’ve tried to get into it again, but it’s just so much work to get good at again. The only thing I enjoy is the driving range since I can just rip it without accuracy and hit 300+ But maybe only 1 out of 10 will be actually straight lol.

I set up my board in the garage; plywood behind it takes care of hole worries.

Don’t give up. It’ll click.

Sometimes there is no truth.

There is a reason why we have things like political parties, if there was one way forward, we wouldn’t be wasting time with elections.

2 Likes

I will say there is always a truth. But people have different ideas on how to arrive at it.

1 Like

And most of us here are fortunate to come from functioning democracies. You can’t hide problems. The election is more to determine how to address the problems.

I think we’ve become conditioned to accept this in modern day politics. Defaulting to the ‘other side’ argument is too often an excuse to preserve a status quo of power relationships.

The other side part falls apart when patent falsehoods are repeated over and over without any substance. Im okay with claims the Dems are also racist–if anything what amazes me is how many examples these guys MISS of that until conservative radio feeds them the talking points–but substantiate them with actual names, who, when, where, why, what.

If the other side is, say, Obama did it too, or the dems did it too with no greater context, no specifics, that’s not good faith debating.

There may be no objective truth but what is going on with a certain element here is a blatant distraction, distortion of the truth and. the presentation fake newsy sites like we’ve discussed. then this appeal to the ‘other side’ gives those ideas legitimacy.

For example? I mean, I rely on Aristotelian metaphysics for absolute Truth in the same way I rely on the old testament for religious advice.

Have you tried growing a mustache?

3 Likes

The statement i just made. There is always an absolute truth is a statement of absolute truth.

1 Like

I wonder if that’s true for logical fallacies? :ponder:

If I said there was no absolute truth, I would be making a self refuting statement of absolute truth.

Even if I said there is no absolute truth sometimes. I would still proclaim an absolute truth that is always true and not sometimes true.

1 Like

Are you this much fun at parties? lol

Anyway, imma head out and finish up working on the lawn. Enjoy the sandbox.

1 Like

Only when i smoke a joint and think I’m Plato.

Running. I tried and tried. Did intervals. Bought different types of shoes. Talked to good runners, etc. etc. I improved but in the end, I was only average. I could never break 25 minutes in the 5k, for example. Now my knees are shot and no more running for me.

3 Likes

I suck at running. It also doesn’t help that I hate it.

But after learning more about body mechanics, I think us bad runners have bad form. Good running form saves a lot of energy with each stride. But I hate running long distance so I never bothered to spend money using the video technology they now have for this. It’s actually really cool but I don’t like running. I only do 1 mile runs as fast as I can. I run around a 7 min mile when in shape. I think it could be much faster if I had better form, but I only do it for conditioning so I don’t care that much.

1 Like

Spanish done lots of this in school days but forgotten, Mandarin love it but everytime I open my mouth everything are mixed up perhaps in my head everything are scrambled eggs.

I love classical music and Jazz but can’t remember the title who cares.
Love reading books but forgot the writer anyway just try to enjoy it every single moment.

3 Likes

3 Likes