ThinkVantage Password Manager

I recently bought a Lenovo x61 laptop and I’m very happy with it, except. . .

it comes with this ThinkVantage Password Manager security program that is driving me nuts, especially when I use forumosa. Every time I click on a different page of forumosa the damned pop-ups pop up, asking me to insert my password. Actually, they’re asking me which one of two identical passwords I apparently entered already for forumosa I want to use. I choose one and click accept and the problem’s solved for now (until I go to the next page of forumosa and it asks again), or I click cancel and same thing – it’s solved for now, until I go to the next page.

So, I right clicked on the program and to “advanced settings” I think it was, where one can “restrict” or “remove” so the password’s deactivated for a particular address, so I deactivated it for forumosa, repeatedly, but it made no difference at all.

Next step, if none of you can give me a better solution, will be to remove that program from my computer. Is that my only hope? Will I regret removing that program? Thanks.

I would uninstall it and use the password manager in Firefox. At least I know what it’s doing. Why do you need an external one when Firefox does the job?

Maybe there’s some settings for a private/public computer. You want it on private because you’re the only one who uses it, maybe it’s asking for the master password because it thinks it’s a public (libraries, netcafes etc) computer.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I would uninstall it and use the password manager in Firefox. At least I know what it’s doing. Why do you need an external one when Firefox does the job?[/quote]The ThinkVantage one is supposed to be a bit more secure because it makes use of some security chip thingy that ThinkPads have. (It’s actually something called “Client Security Solution” that includes a password manager amongst other things.) I never bothered to set it up, though. Certainly for sites such as Forumosa it would seem to be a bit over the top. As you say, the Firefox one is good enough.

MT, rather than uninstalling Client Security Solution outright, why not just disable it if you feel comfortable with that? Or you may be able to just disable the password manager bit of it. Because I haven’t activated it, I can’t read the Help file, but if you open Client Security Solution (Start > All Programs > ThinkVantage > Client Security Solution, if you’re in Vista), you should be able to find information on this in the Help.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I recently bought a Lenovo x61 laptop and I’m very happy with it, except. . .

it comes with this ThinkVantage Password Manager security program that is driving me nuts, especially when I use forumosa. Every time I click on a different page of forumosa the damned pop-ups pop up, asking me to insert my password. Actually, they’re asking me which one of two identical passwords I apparently entered already for forumosa I want to use. I choose one and click accept and the problem’s solved for now (until I go to the next page of forumosa and it asks again), or I click cancel and same thing – it’s solved for now, until I go to the next page.

So, I right clicked on the program and to “advanced settings” I think it was, where one can “restrict” or “remove” so the password’s deactivated for a particular address, so I deactivated it for forumosa, repeatedly, but it made no difference at all.

Next step, if none of you can give me a better solution, will be to remove that program from my computer. Is that my only hope? Will I regret removing that program? Thanks.[/quote]

I just deleted the thing. It was so annoying. I also deleted the Levono Rescue/recovery program. It was using up 70gigs of my hard drive. I was downloading movies, watching them, then deleting them. Think that recovery program was keeping a copy somewhere. Real pain in the ass and slowed my system down. Working fine now.
:bravo:

Any program you didn’t willingly install that causes you grief should be deleted right away, on general principles.

i disabled mine. but man, what a great computer otherwise.

quick question, I’m not getting a lot of battery power from the 8-cell i bought, maybe 4-5 hours. any advice? X60.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]i disabled mine. but man, what a great computer otherwise.

quick question, I’m not getting a lot of battery power from the 8-cell i bought, maybe 4-5 hours. any advice? X60.[/quote]

How long have you had it?
I’ve had mine for about 10 months. The battery lasts for a whole 30 minutes now.
Not a happy bunny.

[quote=“jacktorrence”][quote=“Jack Burton”]i disabled mine. but man, what a great computer otherwise.

quick question, I’m not getting a lot of battery power from the 8-cell i bought, maybe 4-5 hours. any advice? X60.[/quote]

How long have you had it?
I’ve had mine for about 10 months. The battery lasts for a whole 30 minutes now.
Not a happy bunny.[/quote]
Have you left it plugged in all the time? That kills batteries pretty quickly. If you really want to leave it plugged in for long periods of time, you should at least set it to recharge the battery only after the charge drops down to 80% or something like that.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]i disabled mine. but man, what a great computer otherwise.[/quote]Which did you disable? The Client Security Solution (with the password manager), or Rescue and Recovery? Fine if it’s the former, rather drastic I think if it’s the latter.

Rescue and Recovery is a really great thing. It backs up a complete image of your data and OS, on a partition that’s hidden from Windows. So if Windows ever gets really broken, you press the blue button during startup and you can restore the computer to the state it was in when you backed it up.

I say “when you backed it up” because you have to set a schedule or back up manually. I don’t think it’s set to back up by default. And in any case, it never backs up individual files, as Jack Torrence thought it did. What might be causing his hard disk to fill up is that Vista has a kind of versioning, and keeps copies of deleted files. I’m pretty sure that can be turned off.