This is fun, and illegal :)

I thought about some teaching as part time job (according to Police I need a extra work permit for this). Here is the funny thing the school said when I asked about sumitting the request for a second job to the CLA.

Suppose its illegal :slight_smile: I like the “cyber banking system” and that they “protect” teachers. Haha.

What a friggin’ scam these people are running…:roflmao:

Perfectly normal. Just hope the fuzz/fire brigade/cleaning lady bung is paid up in full and on time.

Aiyooooooooo! :unamused:

Just when I thought they couldn’t get any sleazier.

You should tell the school that you need to verify that is fully legal with the CLA and the tax office. See what the school says to that! Tell them that of course if they forget about your “tax”, you’ll forget about the CLA – remember, if a complaint is made about a school, the authorities HAVE to investigate. You’ve got the school over a barrel! Have some fun. :laughing:

Sounds like a great idea, maybe I can get some cash to shut up? :slight_smile:

I actually think about going to that interview and stealth-run my little Nikon L2 in video mode (can record a looong time on a 1 GB SD Card).

This is called using a “ren2 tou2” [people-head] in Chinese. It’s quite common in Taiwan, not only in English teaching. Taiwanese do it as well, to avoid paying higher taxes, or in specific situations where they don’t want someone to know they’re making certain sums of money for whatever reason.

Sounds like SOP for Taiwan businesses.

Leave well alone. If you don’t like it, go somewhere else.

Wow, they actually admitted it!

Yes, it’s SOP. Too bad OP didn’t record it. New job as CLA/FAP enforcement :smiling_imp:

Yes, it’s SOP. Too bad OP didn’t record it. New job as CLA/FAP enforcement :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Does EMail count as record? Cause its from a EMail. And the school/company is in the Hsinchu Science Park where the CLA doesn’t have anything to say but the Science Park Administration somehow administrates foreign work force (got my work permit from them).

engerim, yes, Email counts as record because you can print it out and show as proof. This point came up at my current employer who was going through some redundancy plans and the employee said he wasn’t notified (he was verbally but no written or documented proof etc). Having to deal with this, I immediately knew the employer was in some problems now and yep, they were, the employee could report to the CLA that the employer failed to properly notify him (employee could say he didn’t get any notice and the employer wouldn’t be able to offer any proof other than, “we told him”). The employer had to “pay him off” with creative terms to avoid being dragged into a legal/administrative fight.

This is tough for the foreigner because the T&Cs of your ARC and employment is such that without an ARC, you have to leave the country much sooner than you can start enforcement proceedings.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]engerim, yes, Email counts as record because you can print it out and show as proof. This point came up at my current employer who was going through some redundancy plans and the employee said he wasn’t notified (he was verbally but no written or documented proof etc). Having to deal with this, I immediately knew the employer was in some problems now and yep, they were, the employee could report to the CLA that the employer failed to properly notify him (employee could say he didn’t get any notice and the employer wouldn’t be able to offer any proof other than, “we told him”). The employer had to “pay him off” with creative terms to avoid being dragged into a legal/administrative fight.

This is tough for the foreigner because the T&Cs of your ARC and employment is such that without an ARC, you have to leave the country much sooner than you can start enforcement proceedings.[/quote]

Is the work permit equal to the length of the ARC? Cause my contract is three years, my ARC is length of the passport :slight_smile: Not to mention I never saw this “permit”. But I’m sure I’m legal cause I work for a Taiwan megacorp.

Well, in any case I won’t report them (hope that isn’t a crime here)? Cause I don’t want my scooter to be set on fire or chased by the local school mafia. Not to mention that I’m a foreigner :wink:

And the foreigners who are stupid enough to work for something like this and get kicked out… lets call it natural selection.

I’d agree.
Sure, if you make a stink about it, then you can be sure you will lose out somewhere along the line. Schools talk to each other, so you might find yourself having difficulty finding a part time or fulltime job at all.

Go to a different school if you are considering pursuing this issue, your life would be hell if you stayed with that school (assuming they still actually gave you the job)

But it’s the principle I guess right?

6%? Try NO percent. Tax my ass. That’s where the whole joke begins.