This is good news, but bad reporting about electric vehicles

[quote=“Abacus”]Oops. Somehow I thought the big test was only for red plate but it’s also for yellow plates. It should be since they largely have the same benefits.

The latest issue for big motorcycles on the tollways is that they don’t have front license plates and they would have to install all new cameras to capture rear (in addition to front) license plates. It doesn’t sound like a big deal but they claim it would cost 1.2B NT which is a waste of money (colossal waste). Seems like it would be easier to give yellow/red plate motorcycles the option to put a large front plate on their motorcycle if they want to use the tollway.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003590722

Or motorcycle haters are doing everything they can (like inflate numbers) to keep motorcycles off of the tollways.[/quote]
I’m sorry to correct you again :slight_smile:

They DO have license plates on the front. Normally they go on either the windshield or one of the fork bars.

Well, they might not have changed it yet. In fact, they still drive on the wrong side of the road, anyways :roflmao:

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Blaquesmith”]
In theory, weren’t the red plates supposed to be “above 550cc” and thus, eligible for entering the highways? I heard they wanted to allow it, then backpedaled, then wanted to allow it again, and so on.
[/quote]
No. Every motorcycle (not sure about greens, actually) can enter highways, well, the PROVINCIAL highways. The (un)famous Number 9 (BeiYi) is a highway and I’ve been riding it with all the bikes that I have had.

What you mean is “expressways”, and they used to be opened to only cars and red plates. However, if I not wrong, this has changed and also yellow plates can take these roads. The problem, I believe, is that some boards are old so you can still see some of these signals that have written on them “>= 550cc”. But again, I believe that these boards are outdated. Well, I might be wrong as well. But the test is the same.

Then you have the “Freeways”, which are NATIONAL highways. There have been some rumors about some of these freeways opened experimentally to the bikes in the South, but TBH I don’t think that has ever happened. Will they be opened? it would make a lot of sense, but because there are always lots of traffic accidents, the law changes tend to be slow and conservative.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_system_in_Taiwan[/quote]

Because the Taiwanese logic had to be present in traffic laws too. Apparently, they don’t think updating the traffic signs is worth the amount of money they would require, so they prefer to keep contradictory signs and laws and wait for the traffic casualties to magically decrease on its own. Chabuduo.

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“Abacus”]Oops. Somehow I thought the big test was only for red plate but it’s also for yellow plates. It should be since they largely have the same benefits.

The latest issue for big motorcycles on the tollways is that they don’t have front license plates and they would have to install all new cameras to capture rear (in addition to front) license plates. It doesn’t sound like a big deal but they claim it would cost 1.2B NT which is a waste of money (colossal waste). Seems like it would be easier to give yellow/red plate motorcycles the option to put a large front plate on their motorcycle if they want to use the tollway.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003590722

Or motorcycle haters are doing everything they can (like inflate numbers) to keep motorcycles off of the tollways.[/quote]
I’m sorry to correct you again :slight_smile:

They DO have license plates on the front. Normally they go on either the windshield or one of the fork bars.[/quote]

Yes, but they must be too small or oddly placed otherwise they wouldn’t have written an entire article resulting in a 1.2B cost to retrofit the tollway system. Or the article writer has an axe to grind with motorcyclists.

[quote=“Abacus”]
Yes, but they must be too small or oddly placed otherwise they wouldn’t have written an entire article resulting in a 1.2B cost to retrofit the tollway system. Or the article writer has an axe to grind with motorcyclists.[/quote]
Or both things :smiley:

I was thinking before that a system working already with white plates on cars would definitively need some adaptation to work also with red plates places in funny ways on bikes. Still not impossible though, and sounds like there’s a lot of hate towards riders in this country.

Why? i don’t know :whistle:

[quote=“jesus80”]I was thinking before that a system working already with white plates on cars would definitively need some adaptation to work also with red plates places in funny ways on bikes. Still not impossible though, and sounds like there’s a lot of hate towards riders in this country.

Why? I don’t know :whistle:[/quote]

Because most of them drive like crazy monkeys on PCP. We could say the same for the car drivers, too. And the blue truck drivers. Basically, you can say the same for any driver on the island, either local or foreigner gone native.

Last weekend we went to Erziping area, in Yangminshan, and I counted at least 6 crashed motorcycles ditched on the side of the road. All of them yellow or red-plated, and all of them beyond repair. All of them were recent crashes, with not a hint of rust, and not yet salvaged for parts.

Presumably the owners ended up as squids, so the locals would consider it asking for trouble to use the spare parts. If you put those spare parts on your own motorcycle, you will crash too, because that motorcycle was bad luck. Nothing to do with the driver’s own fuckwittery. Obviously.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“jesus80”]I was thinking before that a system working already with white plates on cars would definitively need some adaptation to work also with red plates places in funny ways on bikes. Still not impossible though, and sounds like there’s a lot of hate towards riders in this country.

Why? I don’t know :whistle:[/quote]

Because most of them drive like crazy monkeys on PCP. We could say the same for the car drivers, too. And the blue truck drivers. Basically, you can say the same for any driver on the island, either local or foreigner gone native.

Last weekend we went to Erziping area, in Yangming Shan, and I counted at least 6 crashed motorcycles ditched on the side of the road. All of them yellow or red-plated, and all of them beyond repair. All of them were recent crashes, with not a hint of rust, and not yet salvaged for parts.[/quote]

The strange thing is that I notice that on mountain roads by all types of drivers but I notice it a lot less on the freeways/expressways/tollways and long straight sections of highway. There’s just something about driving on a twisty mountain road that turns people into idiots.

6 sounds a bit too high for me. I see crashed motorcycles (well, most of them are actually scooters) every now and then on the popular mountain roads, but 6 is unusually high. Some chain accident?

Besides, mountain roads are more tricky than straight roads. No surprise that people ride there more, and crash there more.

[quote=“jesus80”]6 sounds a bit too high for me. I see crashed motorcycles (well, most of them are actually scooters) every now and then on the popular mountain roads, but 6 is unusually high. Some chain accident?

Besides, mountain roads are more tricky than straight roads. No surprise that people ride there more, and crash there more.[/quote]

We saw 6. 2 next to each other (but on opposite sides of the road, presumably they crashed together or with each other), and the other 4 in different parts of the mountain.

Mountain roads are delightful to ride in if they’re well maintained and there’s not too much traffic. Sadly, that’s not the case in Taiwan.

Mountain roads are always a pleasure, even here in Taiwan. And they are always dangerous, specially here in Taiwan :smiley:

Wemo electric sharing scooters have green plates (50cc)