This Is How We'd All Die Instantly If The Sun Suddenly Went Supernova

:runaway:

We’re all gonna die!..eventually!

Not so bad. Could be a lot worse I guess.

1 Like

A little off topic…

I wonder how hard is it to build a neutrino producer and detector?

I could imagine someone using this to be able to communicate even deep underground without any concern about signals being blocked…

The article’s author picture though… I wish B. C. Forbes would have lived to see that.

1 Like

Bloody hard.

Current technology would not allow anything remotely usable: the detection efficiency is negligible, while the generation side of things is essentially uncontrollable.

If the neutrinos traveled at the speed of light we’d have a good eight minutes after they cleared the sun’s photosphere. Of course we wouldn’t know about it before they arriv

Debatable. Depends on how much our sol would swell before the neutrinos are released (actually from precisely where neutrinos would be generated therein). Could be only seconds. Depends.

This is why being third rock from the sun will be so uncomfortable in the unlikely situation laid out in the article (and why the whole idea, and this article is a little silly). Setting up an early warning station makes little sense even if sol don’t swole up.

Given the overall insufferableness of your canuckistanian “ideas” about the US to begin with, I expect a little more oomph from Canadians in the idea dept, you know. :face_with_monocle:

If the sun swelled to the size that particles travelling at the speed of light could leave the photosphere and travel to the Earth’s surface in seconds, we’d probably notice.

Oh we’d see the swelling of the sun, no doubt. But we wouldn’t know it if the sun actually went supernova. That’s because we would be dead before our senses gave us any new information at all.

Whenever any star goes supernova, neutrinos are the first signal that can be detected from them, but by the time they arrive, it’s already too late. Even with how rarely they interact, they’d sterilize their entire solar system before the light or matter from the blast ever arrived.

I’m more worried about global warming.

Oh, wait. This IS global warming.

1 Like

Don’t quote me on this but I’m pretty sure that current detection techniques are not too reliable as in they miss way too many neutrinos to be used for information transfer.

I felt like I went supernova last night – after eating some explosive chili.