This is racing... East Asian style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYEn_fpv-4

1 Like

Just show up with whatever you got.

#5 has no brakes and two gears; starting and go.

Wow, cool.
That one guy’s armor reminds me of the Keirin racers.

He is a Japanese auto racer. A really unique Japanese motor sport that is bet on like horse racing. The riders where different colours, and have no endorsements. They also have certain strict rituals to abide by as racers before and after a race, including rejection of fame.

The winner came from last place at the start. His tires slipped at the 2:45 point. He could probably add some milliseconds if he trimmed down his attire.

I would love to you see this live. What is it called or how to get more information?

Seems like an exhibition race, comparing the 3 different types of bikes. I agree looks like he slipped when he hit the paint line a couple times.
I think it is called Auto-Race.

Was thinking the same thing.

Yes, it is at a Japanese auto race track. There is more information in the comments on the video on the youtube page. If you google Japanese auto racing, wikipedia has an entry which gives a bit more detail. There are also some other great races to watch on youtube, where you will see how competitive it can really get.

Apparently it started out in the 50’s as speedway racing on dirt, but the government banned it as it thought it was too dangerous which is how it morphed into auto racing.

This is an exhibition, but some of those guys racing are professional motorcycle riders. I find it mesmerising as it is all about the line you take. You will notice #5 is continually looking around to see where his rivals are, and uses his inside foot (which is covered in an iron boot apparently) as a brake.

Brilliant I reckon.

They have it in the States too. It’s called flat track racing.