This is sick

Why is it that whenever some Taiwanese guys wants to off themselves for money reason they HAVE to take their kids with them? I mean if they want to off themselves fine, but why hurt innocent kids?

Because they look at the children as their property.

It’s not just Taiwanese, or more broadly “Asians,” you just read about it more in newspapers in this part of the world. In the west, suicides are scarcely newsworthy, indeed the stories are often stopped for fear of creating a run of suicides.

Taking out the kids is all too common in many societies. I think it highlights that most people are insane when they do themselves in.

HG

Are you serious?

I was just wondering because it is quite noticeable how they often leave their “property” unattended, in total disrepair, or in the care or someone else.

My colleague and her husband see their daughter, in Tainan with the in-laws, once or twice a month and she was in tears about the fact that her daughter calls her ‘aunty’ and her mother-in-law ‘momma’. :frowning:

I’ve heard that it’s to spare the family from the anguish of living in destitution or deep debt and/or from the pain of losing a loved one. Seriously.

I heard from one of my Taiwanese colleagues the other day that “Taiwanese prefer to commit suicide in hotels and not in their houses” because it might affect: 1. the value of the property, and 2. the family members having to stay in the house afterwards.

That is also why, according to my colleague, it is best to avoid hotels where such things have taken place because some of the “rooms are haunted”.

True? I dunno. Just repeating what I heard.

[quote=“stan”]I heard from one of my Taiwanese colleagues the other day that “Taiwanese prefer to commit suicide in hotels and not in their houses” because it might affect: 1. the value of the property, and 2. the family members having to stay in the house afterwards.

That is also why, according to my colleague, it is best to avoid hotels where such things have taken place because some of the “rooms are haunted”.[/quote]

sure, but that’s where these ‘pearls of wisdom’ from the locals always fall flat, I mean how are you going to know?.. I doubt they’d start off the glossy hotel brochure with a list of “previous suicides at our hotel”… Then again this is the culture that views “re-nao” as a good thing… anything’s possible… :loco:

Yes, I think that’s about right.

Never read an American newspaper? At least the guys you are talking about take themselves out too instead of just trying to get away with killing their kids.

Are you serious?

I was just wondering because it is quite noticeable how they often leave their “property” unattended, in total disrepair, or in the care or someone else.

My colleague and her husband see their daughter, in Tainan with the in-laws, once or twice a month and she was in tears about the fact that her daughter calls her ‘aunty’ and her mother-in-law ‘momma’. :frowning:[/quote]

Well, you have to remember, it is their property, so they can do what they want with it–leave it unattended, give it cram school time all day instead of family time, take them out during suicides…

Well, if you’re depressed, you see the world as a hostile, mean, dangerous, and difficult place that you don’t want to live in any more - they blame their problems on the world; it’s possible that these people want to prevent their kids from growing up to spare them the pain and difficulties that, as they perceive it, life constantly threw at them.

Are you serious?

My colleague and her husband see their daughter, in Tainan with the in-laws, once or twice a month and she was in tears about the fact that her daughter calls her ‘aunty’ and her mother-in-law ‘momma’. :frowning:[/quote]

Well, you have to remember, it is their property, so they can do what they want with it–leave it unattended, give it cram school time all day instead of family time, take them out during suicides…[/quote]

Can’t argue with that! :notworthy:

That’s because they are sick, fock, shameless, irresponsible and cowards.

Flicka, the hole in your logic is that this isn’t merely a Taiwanese phenomenon. Murder/suicide is extremely common elsewhere.

In my experience, and it is considerable, the reasons cited are usually a sense of despair. The very despair that clouds a person’s judgement to the point that they can’t see any hope of things improving also envelopes their outlook for the people they love. In their own minds at that nadir, it is an act of mercy.

Tragically, all too often the kids perish and the parent survives. This is more often than not through the adult being more resilient to the means employed to attempt suicide, eg, gassing, poison, etc. Believe me, survivors are complete wrecks when they emerge from the fog and reailse what they’ve done.

HG

I think this is the wisest answer… I also think this is the most accurate.

I think this is the wisest answer… I also think this is the most accurate.[/quote]

I’m gonna have to disagree. I don’t think that people who are depressed see the world as a hostile, mean , dangerous, and difficult place that they don’t want to live any more. There can be several reasons why a person chooses to kill themselves,and different motivating factors.

Generally, people who are depressed tend to be supressing something. Rage, anger, sadness, etc. When they get to the suicide stage they see it as a good reason, because they can’t see any other opinion. I am not talking about those who use suicide as means to hurt someone else, i.e. you dumped me so I’m gonna kill myself suicide. Or the debt situation, which happens here alot.

People who reach the point of suicide have got it in their head that their problems are bigger than they are, a victim mentality. Oh woe is me. I can’t face it. They have given all their power over to the situation because they ‘think’ the situation actually has validity.

Also, there are people who haven’t been diagonosed for a mental illiness that they have stuggled alone with for years, and to deal with depression and not to find the correct solution can be daunting and exhausting. So, why wait for the great unknown date, just do it yourself.

Then their are the people who have terminal illiness who don’t want to suffer anymore. Are they seeing the world as a hostle place? Perhaps they think it’s would be humane to put themselves and loved ones out of their misery.

There are many aspects to look at when it invovles depression and suicide.

My landlord back in NZ found his son and three granddaughters nestled in his son’s car - the tragic result of a vicious custody battle.

It happens everywhere. The motivations may vary somewhat from place to place, but the end result is the same. So painfully unfair on those left behind.

This is so true it resonates, at least for me anyway.

Suicide, is mainly a cop-out that derives from what we now call “temporary insanity”. The beauty of all life lies in the moment, and the moment after that, and so on… And as we all know moments can fluctuate…

The point being that one most accept that sometimes we must live as a weed, bending in the wind… why would one want to uproot onself? Surely the sun shall rise again?

Shine on, Folks, SHine on,

Rainbows inna Duststorm…

:joker:

People that kill themselves could be doing so for selfish reasons other than those that are doing it to help others like ones dying of cancer and you name it. People who kill other people before they die are selfish assholes. A trillion fold.

I had a great uncle who shot himself. He had cancer. I know for a fact that he did it because he didn’t want to be a burden. That’s a commendable suicide. He was a hardass fella. I only met him once, but he was an ex-policeman who liked to drink whiskey and lived with his wife (my grandmother’s sister) in Sioux Lookout, Ontario. He wasn’t selfish.

Suicide is a selfish act in it self. But what intrigues me so much as how people react so strongl in IMO a very judgemental way. Lets not forget that in many cases that suicide is a cry for help. And quite often the signs where there. A person may have asked for help in several ways but because many people are too busy, or incapable of listening to someone-IMO we often tell the person to ‘be strong’ or it will get better, or my favorite-there’s hope just hang in there, we miss out that the person in question is seeking a emotional connection or connection of some sort.

Again, I’m not talking about those who use suicide as a means to hurt someone else.

It would be good if society would develop it’s listening skills a little more. :wink: