This place is too dangerous for me - going home

Just seen my second scooter accident in one week - people skidding across the road and only just making it, due to wearing a helmet. I’ve picked two people off the road - and they were lucky.

As for me, well, I’ve been hit crossing the road for the second time, just now. Did anyone pick me off the road? No - in fact the scooter zoomed away. This lack of respect for pedestrians is just unbelievable. What if it were his sister, not just some foreigner?

The amount of stress caused by traffic conditions is incredible and it just mounts up. It’s all so unnecessary, too. I have to work out the best way to get home each day based on which roads I have to cross. Totally nuts, in my opinion…

Welcome to the Jungle :whistle:

I hate to say it but I’m a bit of a risk freak, and driving in Taiwan was one of the things I loved the most. Now as every love is, it had it’s dark side, and the thing I hated about Taiwan the most was driving.

Best to keep doing what you are doing, finding safer ways to go home, or if you can, just use public transportation.

I agree with the OP. There is little if any regard for human life on Taiwan’s roads, yet the Taiwananese themselves will argue that point until blue in the face. I’ve been driving here for three years and it’s getting progressively worse, not better, despite marginal efforts by the government to implement tougher laws.

Ironically, I’ve just now come to terms with how god-awful these suicidal maniacs are on the roads, and have more or less become one of them. Let’s face it: if you can’t beat 'em, join 'em. Or better yet: When in Rome…

On the other hand, some TW drivers have got balls. I’ve seen car drivers simply drive in front of fast moving traffic without looking, expecting everyone to stop…and they do! Driving at full-speed through red lights; I have seen so many instances where there should have been a major car accident that never was, because other drivers stop for the fools.

But I have stopped trying to drive like a whiteman because you always get burned in the end. Don’t misunderstand me; it’s not like I’m cutting people off and doing 360s in intersections trying to figure out which road to take. And for the most part I continue to stop for pedestrians and red lights. But I’ve been taiwanized in moving traffic and I have no regrets. :notworthy:

I drive like an aggresive whiteman~ Kinda like Sydney peakhour~ (Boo Sydney! Yay Melbourne!)… don’t really have much of a problem. Still, the driving here still gets to me occasionally, and sometimes I swear I’m close to road-raging. Luckily for me, if I’m in the car, the missus and little one are usually there - so I control myself. On the bike - it’s relaxing enough to keep me just under the red-zone~

Georgia > Picking up accident victims can sometimes lead to trouble for you. Especially in a hit-run situation. Be careful my friend - don’t end up in trouble for something you didn’t do~

I understand the OP’s concern, but one should always keep things in perspective.

After all, it’s probably less dangerous walking across the road in Taiwan even during peak rush hour, than it is to scuba dive to 100 meters on a couple tabs of acid, or to bungie jump over a rocky chasm using only a jock strap for a bungie, or to swim across crocodile infested waters with slabs of prime rib strapped to ones body.

So long as the OP is not blindfolded or slithering prostate across the road, she should be fine. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I understand the OP’s concern, but one should always keep things in perspective.

After all, it’s probably less dangerous walking across the road in Taiwan even during peak rush hour, than it is to scuba dive to 100 meters on a couple tabs of acid, or to bungie jump over a rocky chasm using only a jock strap for a bungie, or to swim across crocodile infested waters with slabs of prime rib strapped to ones body.

So long as the OP is not blindfolded or slithering prostate across the road, she should be fine. :slight_smile:[/quote]
It may be less dangerous but I think you do that much more often than the other things you mentioned, thus you increase your chances of getting hit.

Georgia > Picking up accident victims can sometimes lead to trouble for you. Especially in a hit-run situation. Be careful my friend - don’t end up in trouble for something you didn’t do~[/quote]

I know - people have warned me about that. I was just walking by so at least as a pedestrian I couldn’t be ‘involved’. It was a young woman whose scooter skidded and ended up on top of her. Thing was, nobody was doing a thing, just weaving round her. When I ran over and tried to get the scooter off, a couple of guys joined me - so it was ok. But concerned what would have happened otherwise…I’d like to think people would help if it was me but they really don’t…strange as most of my students are lovely, kindhearted, very polite people and I suppose I expect people on the roads to be the same.

its not that dangerous…ive been here 17 years and only seen about 20 accidents with serious injury or death…considering the sheer volume of traffic, well, it’s all relative…

that said you need all your wits about you to drive safely here on a scooter…never presume traffic will stop for you just cause you got right of way. always presume your “opponent” is an idiot with a grudge against big noses…plus when in doubt its better to hit the gas than the brake!! (thats slightly tongue in cheek but does sometimes apply)

[quote=“Rascal”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]I understand the OP’s concern, but one should always keep things in perspective.

So long as the OP is not blindfolded or slithering prostate across the road, she should be fine. :slight_smile:[/quote]
It may be less dangerous but I think you do that much more often than the other things you mentioned, thus you increase your chances of getting hit.[/quote]

Are you kidding? I do all those things on my way to work each day.

Taiwan=scars-lots of scars seen and unseen.

It is, and that’s why your chances of being killed as a pedestrian or rider in Taiwan are pretty much ranking top in the world. It’s all relative, but in Taiwan it’s relatively stupendous on the roads.

Yes, I suppose it is all relative - so far, I’ve been hit twice while crossing the road and maybe 4 or 5 times I’ve been clipped by a scooter passing me on the pavement. Also, been dragged behind a bus twice!! Is it just me???

No, it is not just you. I have been reversed over, hit by a taxi that was using the pavement to turn a corner, slammed into by a taxi that hit me from behind when I was stopped for over two minutes at a red light, today sent into collision course (which I narrowly avoided with screeching of tyres) with another cars rear end because I was forced to out accelerate a car that was in the process of cutting my up with no indication. I have been side swiped by a speeding car (hit and run) which damaged by kick start and almost made me cack my pants, and numerous other incidents which are so many that I can not clearly remember. Taiwan drivers SUCK ASS!

[quote=“the bear”]its not that dangerous…ive been here 17 years and only seen about 20 accidents with serious injury or death…considering the sheer volume of traffic, well, it’s all relative…

that said you need all your wits about you to drive safely here on a scooter…never presume traffic will stop for you just cause you got right of way. always presume your “opponent” is an idiot with a grudge against big noses…plus when in doubt its better to hit the gas than the brake!! (thats slightly tongue in cheek but does sometimes apply)[/quote]

I’ve been here 9 years and seen 4 deaths. One was last week.

I lived in England for 22 years and didn’t see any deaths. Now there’s a comparison for you.

Fair enough but statistically you have a higher chance of dying on a motorbike in England or America than in Taiwan. We just see more deaths here because per/capita there are many many more bikes.

Check out these stats:

factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_a … acific.htm

I know these stats are a bit old, but I think they are still relevant. It shows that Taiwan isn’t as bad as some other countries. Look at South Korea. I remember reading in Time 2 years ago, that South Korea had the highest traffic related fatalities in the world per capita.

[quote=“MotorcycleRider”]Check out these stats:

factbook.net/EGRF_Regional_a … acific.htm

I know these stats are a bit old, but I think they are still relevant. It shows that Taiwan isn’t as bad as some other countries. Look at South Korea. I remember reading in Time 2 years ago, that South Korea had the highest traffic related fatalities in the world per capita.[/quote]

Am I reading this right? According to the above graph Taiwan is the safest place to drive out of those countries listed?

Yes, I suppose as Taiwan isn’t the most dangerous place in the world, because it is only in fifth place, there isn’t anything to be concerned about.

A post I made several months ago about the state of roads and users in Taiwan

ESTIMATING GLOBAL ROAD FATALITIES (check out table 17)

Well it’s good that the world gets to hear more about Taiwan I s’pose.

I have started relieving some of my driving stress by taking pictures of the things which wind me up when I am on the road. This way I tend to treat arses as a picture opportunity rather than as much of a frustration. This is my first week’s worth of photos to aid my frustration and for everyone to see.