This weather is keeping me off my bike!

It is true that rain keeps people off their motorcycles (least polluting vehicle), but from what I’ve seen it sure as hell doesn’t stop scooter (most polluting vehicle) riders from polluting the air. Ban scooters, and make big bore bikes the only 2-wheeled transport allowed in Taiwan. Sure there would be tons of fatalities (population control and a good way to get rid of idiot riders :slight_smile: ), but at least the air would be better. :laughing:

Now that I can agree with. And why not motorbike taxis? Heck, I’d pay to ride on the back of one of those babies.

That’s what I said about the whole SARS issue. Island’s over populated…why try to contain it? Let it kill off the old and the unhealthy for a year or two…then the economy will thrive. I was explaining this to people in line at the airport when I was coming back from Canada…they thought it was funny (nervous laughter), but they warned me not to talk about it with the customs guy.

I just want to say I would look so hot on one of these bikes. Grrr…Meowww

Here is neat pic of…ahh…ME! Err, yeah me…riding…uhh…MY BIKE! I’m still new on it so…I’m taking it slow.

:wink:

Is a pilot’s licence required?

Headlights optional are they then? :wink:

Good point dude…however, scooters are not that bad…in fact, they are used widely in Europe…They just have better laws and regulations for them…no more 2 strokes, “road worthy” type of inspections every 2 years for all vehicles!..I’m sure if Taiwan set up a road vehicle clean-up program that would see all crap scooters removed from road use and scrapped, there would be an improvement…lots of scooters here are unsafe for road use and so are their operators!..it may take many years to get any o fthis stuff done…but at least new 2 strokes are not being sold or produced here!..the question is, how long will the owners of the remaining 2 strokes keep their garbage?..cheers

Good point dude…however, scooters are not that bad…in fact, they are used widely in Europe…They just have better laws and regulations for them…no more 2 strokes, “road worthy” type of inspections every 2 years for all vehicles!..I’m sure if Taiwan set up a road vehicle clean-up program that would see all crap scooters removed from road use and scrapped, there would be an improvement…lots of scooters here are unsafe for road use and so are their operators!..it may take many years to get any o fthis stuff done…but at least new 2 strokes are not being sold or produced here!..the question is, how long will the owners of the remaining 2 strokes keep their garbage?..cheers

People will keep their polluting 2-stroke pieces of shit until the government imposes a charge on them for it. Then they will dump them like a, um, er, like a big poo.

It’s easy to make laws here: simply charge the feckers. They’re as tight as arses, so even a wee charge makes a difference. Hence all the garbage dumped in Yong He. Hence my company feeling it necessary to point out in an email to employees they could not bring their garbage into work for the company to dump.

An extra NT$2,000 a year on the old tax should sort out the 2-stroke pollution here. And we could phase out diesel buses too. Hmm. Wonder why it hasn’t happened already? :laughing:

See Hsiadogah’s interesting take on that. A little 2-stroke can be extremely fuel-efficient; double the mpg of a big bike. And if well maintained then needn’t emit too many other kinds of pollutants.

You know there’s a yearly emissions check, right? The standards for that are actually quite strict. But the implementation leaves something to be desired.