This website has an annoying Taipei bias

Please take a look at this exchange today:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 5&t=147120

Note there isn’t any city attached, just a street name with the assumption that the OP and all readers live in Taipei and would understand the location. A true Taiwan-centric forum post should begin with “If you live in Taipei, then try…”

Not only is this confusing (there’s a Zhongshan Road in my city too), but it also seems quite arrogant? I’m annoyed because this isn’t a one off, there are multiple posts like this weekly. It is possible the OP and replying poster already know each other, but I still find people treating this forum as if it were a Taipei forum quite excluding.

My guess would be most posters live in Taipei or Taipei area? Maybe there should be a spot under the posters name where we could put our physical location. And make this easily poster update-able.

I know this helps when people are reporting about typhoon conditions in their area. Say instead of the funny titles we get after so many posts? LIke I have been KuanYin for quite a long time, I guess there is another 1,000,000 posts to go to get to to Dalai Lama or something? Maybe do away with the titles and we can put our physical location on Planet EArth .

We already have the grey color to denote newbie posters.

There is a field where you can show your location, under user control panel/edit profile. You should be able to see mine at left.

I don’t think there’s much to be done about it aphasiac. Most people live up north. Case in point is the question you linked to. It was asked without a reference to any location, an answer assuming the asker was in Taipei was received, and this turned out to be exactly what was intended.

Most people mention their location in a post if Taipei is not meant, and this is almost always taken into account when replies are made. That really takes care of any issues. I can’t imagine asking every person to mention their location in every post when the fact is that Taipei is meant the great majority of the time. I’m pretty sure much confusion wasn’t caused in the case of a “Zhongshan North Road Sec. 6” address where no city was mentioned, and am also pretty sure such confusion is rare.

To the OP: in my view, you are absolutely right. During my time in Taiwan, I have lived both inside and outside Taipei, and the divergent attitudes I’ve seen among locals and foreigners alike is striking. I’ve met people who proudly tell me they only leave Taipei to get to Taoyuan Airport! For them, this really is “台北國”. :astonished:

As forumosans, we can do better.

Guy

Is this really true?

I’m willing to bet that the total number of foreigners living in other places in Taiwan are around the same magnitude, if not greater than, the total number living in Taipei alone (although I don’t have the numbers).

And yes I believe people should mention the city every time they post a specific address for a specific shop or location that only exists in that city. What is someone new to Taiwan and living in the south going to make of the thread I linked, are they genuinely meant to just guess where the posters are talking about?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]There is a field where you can show your location, under user control panel/edit profile. You should be able to see mine at left.

I don’t think there’s much to be done about it aphasiac. Most people live up north. Case in point is the question you linked to. It was asked without a reference to any location, an answer assuming the asker was in Taipei was received, and this turned out to be exactly what was intended.

Most people mention their location in a post if Taipei is not meant, and this is almost always taken into account when replies are made. That really takes care of any issues. I can’t imagine asking every person to mention their location in every post when the fact is that Taipei is meant the great majority of the time. I’m pretty sure much confusion wasn’t caused in the case of a “Zhongshan North Road Sec. 6” address where no city was mentioned, and am also pretty sure such confusion is rare.[/quote]

Yeah i see that under LOCATION. But I’d like to see it right under our names. Without “location”
like just tommy525
Walnut Creek

P.s. Taiwan is really so small. Its like having New York, Miami, L.A. and San Francisco in the area the size of the rock. And of course then New York City will be Central. And most posters will probably live there or around there. L.A. could be like Kaohsiung. And SF equals Taichung.

Most posts are therefore going to be NYC centric

I understand it causes you confusion and irritation. I’m not sure about figures for who lives where, and we certainly have many people living outside Taipei as members here. I’m interested in hearing from more people. It seems to me that the great majority of posts here are in fact Taipei related though. If you look at the list of Restaurant forums, which are divided by area:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforum.php?f=178

from the post counts you can see what I mean.

i don’t live in Taipei anymore but I used to. And a bit in Taoyuan, though I normally don’t own up to that.

I would guesstimate that 75-80% of Forumosa posters live in Taipei. Sure, lots of foreign workers elsewhere, especially Taoyuan and Kaohsiung, but most Forumosans would live in Taipei.

That’s where the employment is, that’s where the biggest city is, that’s where most of the support is.

I live in Japan now, but still visit often enough to keep posting.

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!!!

I also get annoyed by this… but not very much. It’s just a fact of life that most English-speaking foreigners gravitate toward Taipei. Some hardly seem to look past Taipei city limits… and when they do it’s just to Kenting and Fulong. I’ve done my best to expand the bubble somewhat with my blogging and such… but I have learned to accept that a lot of expats/foreigners/whatever aren’t really interested.

Well the country is called Chinese Taipei…I just presumed it stopped at Xindian station.

Taipei bias? Not surprising, since it would seem most active posters reside there.

A few years ago, it was much, much worse.

There are plenty of Zhongshan Rd’s but the only Zhongshan North Rd Section 6 is in Taipei.

Can you make sub forums of ‘WCIF’? So you can have WCIF… Taipei. Etc. Then its all organised neatly and people don’t have to state where they are in their post? All replies are then aimed at the right area.

It doesn’t take a genius to know he meant Taipei. You think something as cool as hosting an MMA event would take place elsewhere? He wasn’t asking where to get clothes for betel nut girls

honestly it could have been anywhere in Taiwan as long as they can ship it to me. More convenient in Taipei since I can just pick it up.

The vast majority of posters live in the Taipei area. If you post saying “Anyone know where I can find…”, it’s best if the poster adds “… in Kaohsiung (or wherever)”, because without that, people will assume it’s in the greater Taipei area, and for good reason.

When asking where to get something, it’s your job to specify location (scope of desired responses) or have it in your profile location, not the job of those answering. The OP did neither. Most posters here are in Taibei, so it’s a natural assumption that they want greater Taibei locations in answers. The complaint (not by the OP of course) is not justified IMO.

I think that we need a “Non-Taipei forum”, visible only to non Taipei residents, where they can talk in a relaxed way without being harassed by Taipei people, who are known to be very rude and much of bullies. Somewhere were questions like “where can I get a female dress for mud fights?” don’t get funny responses from childish, pervert Taipei citizens.

EDIT: I see you guys coming with somethign along the lines of “then we need a private forum for Taipei citizens only”. Well, you have it already: it’s called forumosa.

There are very few inputs or discussions about anything “down south” so to speak. I think it’s partially because there more furinners in Taipei, furinners “down south” have organizational contacts and closer connections to share information, and mostly because Taipei weather sucks and people have nothing better to do.