This whole “you have to earn your holidays by working extra days” thing

This whole “you have to earn your holidays by working extra days” thing seems like a blatant & overt statement that “as people you are worthless besides the money you make, so much so that if you want a day off you have to trade another of your days off for it”

Am I missing something, or how /why is this acceptable for the locals? Just seems so fundamentally disrespectful, and way too on the nose for a place like Taiwan.

4 Likes

Perceived productivity is a thing. You will also get people who complain about having typhoon days. Money.

3 Likes

If your talking about today, it makes sense to me and most people. Next Friday is not a holiday, so why not work today and have Friday off and a four day long weekend, instead working one odd day (Friday). My old (American based)company also somewhat flexible work week working longer hours 9 days, get one day off (most people took a Friday or Monday) or 4/10 schedule (4 days a week/ 10 hour days). I find fair to most people in Taiwan ( a few may not like , but most do).

4 Likes

Maybe your a bit confusing about of the work culture. You’re time off is not making of the money.

4 Likes

Oh, so actually it’s a favor, basically giving them the opportunity to take a day off that wouldn’t otherwise be given off in between the actual holiday and the weekend - rather than just giving them that day anyway… - by trading one of their other weekend days for it?

June 26 is a normal work day. You are trading June 20 (Saturday) with June 26 (Friday) to have 4 continuous days off work (25th-28th).

2 Likes

Look how they get treated from children. It’s normal. We are the outsiders here. Normal for us is strange to them.

1 Like

No choice I just followed.

Yeah, like that.

It wasn’t too long ago that most people worked every Saturday here.
On the flip side most people in Taiwan still get more holidays and vacations than the US, but less than Europe, UK, Australia

1 Like

For your consideration:

2 Likes

Maybe they could spend the extra day brushing up on their grammar and punctuation.

1 Like

Bosses, or higher ups on the food chain, are used to treating lowerings as trash. As such the bottom of the food chain is rarely productive.

It is a downward spiral for sure. But its taught since birth. In the house, at school then reinforced at the workplace.

1 Like

My company (local) called bullshit on makeup days from the getgo. Yay!

3 Likes

Spoken like a bunch of non-business owners.
My only beef with the deal is that it should be optional.
Also last year they fucked it around and we ended up being required to use personal leave days for a couple, and THAT is fucking fascist BULLshit. :bomb:

1 Like

We’re bein’ downpressed people!
Fight the Power!

I raise you

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Earning or swapping

Good for you. Mine makes us use one of our leave days instead. :rant:

BTW, happy birthday, @the_bear!
:partying_face: :tada: :birthday:

2 Likes

I have to use personal days , can’t even work Sat if I tried. It’s OK because I have enough days I guess.