Those adorable brown dogs in Taiwan

I see at least five of them a day. They’re sort of toy sized. Look like a brown poodle mix. Does anyone know the actual name of the breed? :slight_smile: They’re adorable.

are these the ones that are carried in cute ladies hand bags on the MRT?

are these the ones that are carried in cute ladies hand bags on the MRT?[/quote]

Yes. :slight_smile:

Here are some pics. I guess these are just toy poodles? I saw a girl putting little shoes and a dress on one. The dog looked fairly miserable. :wink:

Brown poodle/maltese/yorkie crosses, usually. Very trendy among the local airheads who often neglect to check their expensive purchases and discover at bathtime that they’ve been sold a normal white one that has been cunningly dyed the trendy brown colour. :laughing:

Seriously? That’s pretty hilarious. :smiley: How much do these go for in Taiwan?

During my last trip to Orchid Island one of these mysteriously appeared in my house. It was smaller than my hand. The color exactly matches my hardwood floors…Have to be careful walking around.

Despite my utter disdain for handbag dogs, it’s been wonderful having a pet in the house after so many years, it even of acts like a real puppy…Well, sort of. I’ll have it jumping down waterfalls (as long as they are under 30cm in height…Doh!).

I grew up with a K9 reject German Shepard. I don’t know anything about handbag dogs. I know they like water, but this thing could be swallowed by even a medium size Taiwan beauty snake if I take it up to the mountains.

Now it’s about as big as my size 13 tennis shoe at 4months of age. I still watch it walk around, expecting it to suddenly morph into an animatronic Japanese toy at any second. It gets trapped on the stairwell still…and jumping off the couch means a sharp knock to the head. On the plus side, it’s reasonably intelligent and doesn’t bark aimlessly.

I don’t think he’s going to make it much past 5 pounds, and I’m gearing up for the inevitable sniggering that will occur when I take it camping and introduce it to the community.

Cute yes…Would I do it again? Absolutely not.

:silenced: :whistle:

Hey, think of it as a fashion accessory.

But there are some tough poodles out there as well:

If you want one, we’ve got two at the vet: FREE!!!

People pay top dollar (over 30 thousand nts) for the right reddish brown color ones, and as it has been said before, many cases of forgery have been spotted (pun intended).

Furthermore, they have sparked a whole industry of groomers, dog apparell, vets, etc.

As always, our advice: please do not buy, there are plenty at the shelters, quality control is inexistent at pet shops and breeders, etc. (you’ve heard it all before).

ps.
Hey, little doggies are very sensitive to changes in temperature. You should see the lovely denim jacket I got for Toto last Saturday, with its own fake fur trim.

And yes, they do not like shoes, but they will get sick if they get into poodles, LOL. :laughing:

Of course, since the vast majority of abandoned purebred poodles would have originated at local petshops and breeders, wouldn’t that mean that quality control is nonexistent at shelters, too? Not disagreeing with you, but perhaps “quality” isn’t the best selling point for abandoned dogs.

Of course, since the vast majority of abandoned purebred poodles would have originated at local petshops and breeders, wouldn’t that mean that quality control is nonexistent at shelters, too? Not disagreeing with you, but perhaps “quality” isn’t the best selling point for abandoned dogs.[/quote]

On the contrary. These tough guys are stronger than the rest, having survived the harsh streets of Taiwan, and even more grateful of being given a shelter and a loving family, in contrast to what they had before. These little fellows are top of the line. :wink: Plus, they have already been given love and medical attention, probably more than previosu owners.

[quote=“Maoman”]“quality” isn’t the best selling point for abandoned dogs.[/quote]The point is that they are NOT sold but free to good homes. Would you prefer paying 30k for a dog that may have been bred under questionable conditions or would you rather get one for free? That’s the selling point. :wink:

marboulette

They are labradoodles… a mix between labrador and poodle. They’re hypoallergenic too! Read more here: http://www.allergyescape.com/labradoodle.html

A Poodle and a Lab?! :shocker:

That is the weirdest thing since I first saw a Shetland sheepdog. Oh, look, a mini-Lassie… smaller than my cat…

I’ll be damned! I thought you were just taking the piss but it’s true! No wonder these dogs are known to be very obedient and very smart. Both the Poodle and the Lab are among the smartest breeds out there.

Personally, I would have called them Labroodles. :laughing:

marboulette

They’re cute but way too expensive. Might as well adopt. :slight_smile:

[quote=“MJB”]During my last trip to Orchid Island one of these mysteriously appeared in my house. It was smaller than my hand. The color exactly matches my hardwood floors…Have to be careful walking around.

Despite my utter disdain for handbag dogs, it’s been wonderful having a pet in the house after so many years, it even of acts like a real puppy…Well, sort of. I’ll have it jumping down waterfalls (as long as they are under 30cm in height…Doh!).

I grew up with a K9 reject German Shepard. I don’t know anything about handbag dogs. I know they like water, but this thing could be swallowed by even a medium size Taiwan beauty snake if I take it up to the mountains.

Now it’s about as big as my size 13 tennis shoe at 4months of age. I still watch it walk around, expecting it to suddenly morph into an animatronic Japanese toy at any second. It gets trapped on the stairwell still…and jumping off the couch means a sharp knock to the head. On the plus side, it’s reasonably intelligent and doesn’t bark aimlessly.

I don’t think he’s going to make it much past 5 pounds, and I’m gearing up for the inevitable sniggering that will occur when I take it camping and introduce it to the community.

Cute yes…Would I do it again? Absolutely not.[/quote]

LOL! Love this! :laughing:

[quote=“Icon”]If you want one, we’ve got two at the vet: FREE!!!

People pay top dollar (over 30 thousand nts) for the right reddish brown color ones, and as it has been said before, many cases of forgery have been spotted (pun intended).

Furthermore, they have sparked a whole industry of groomers, dog apparell, vets, etc.

As always, our advice: please do not buy, there are plenty at the shelters, quality control is inexistent at pet shops and breeders, etc. (you’ve heard it all before).[/quote]

Hmmm…free? Are you for real? Ya got pics? :slight_smile:

I wasn’t going to buy one. I do believe in shelter dogs. :slight_smile:

[quote]That is the weirdest thing since I first saw a Shetland sheepdog. Oh, look, a mini-Lassie… smaller than my cat…

[/quote]

I know, right? Pretty disconcerting… :laughing: :smiley:

Inbred idiot dogs. Daft as they come. Owners aren’t much better. Get yourself a decent stray with a reasonably large gene pool - that’s how dogs are supposed to be.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Inbred idiot dogs.[/quote]These little guys are actually VERY smart and easy to train. As far as their health is concerned, though, you’re absolutely right. Strays rule.

Poodles are recognized as the second smartest dogs out there. Second only to Collies, and labs are about 6th. Both are listed among the top ten best family dogs and top ten easiest to train. And believe it or not, Poodles are also among the top ten best guard dogs. A poodle will bite your ankle if you even just raise your voice to the hand that feeds them. Fearless little buggers.

marboulette