Those cute little stickers from 7/11

What do they mean? Can I purchase/get a discount with them?

my missus is collecting them on a game card and you can get a variety of buy 1 get one free and other discounts at 7-11 and Starbucks and other places if you save enough of them

7-11 has two kinds of stickers. For the general merchandise one you need 30 of those point stickers to qualify for a small discount, but at NT$30/point that’s $900 into it.
The other one is their City Cafe promotion, which I think is like 6 cups of coffee = free one. That promotion might have ended already though.

Or you collect enough to get some crappy plastic toy that all the locals seem to be going for…

Yup. If you collect 30 stickers you can get a discount. And if you pay an extra NT39 you get that toy. One of my students came in with 4 of them…very proud. I asked him if his parents are spending more at 7-11 now, so he can get them. …he said yes. I asked how much he would pay for that…he said NT300.

His draw dropped when I worked it out on the whiteboard…that row of toys cost NT4000. Sure, you did get the drinks etc you bought, but I know people are spending so much more just to get it…not realising how much they are spending.

sillyyyyy

It’s thoroughly amusing to watch the expression on either the clerks’ or waiting patrons’ mugs when I refuse to accept those horrid little stickers. I usually end up giving them to some kids. If I had enough effort, I would save them all up and toss them all at once into a crowded foyer, just to witness the feeding frenzy.

LOL!

the thing that gets me is that you can’t go into a f’in Starbucks for want of double figure q’s for the duration…
On principle I avoid Starbucks, but, y’know, they have a cafe able to be sat in…until those little things come out…

I have such a love-hate relationship with Starbucks. Everything costs way too freaking much, and the portions feel (and probably are) smaller than what you’d get in the States for less. On one hand it is a nice place to sit down and pretend that I’m still in the States.

Battery9: do you mean if you got all of the toys it’d cost $4000? Because $39 + the $900 needed is only $939.
Lately I have most of my meals at 7-11 because I’ve just been too busy to cook and can’t survive on nutella and jelly sandwiches all the time, pathetic isn’t it?

Convenience stores do this all the time to get people to buy, it worked the first time around when Family Mart did that MSN stickers several years back, so they just keep using the same strategy over and over again. Everyone else just follows suit. If you notice businesses in Taiwan tends to follow the leader, if it works for someone their competitor follow suit.

It’s still very depressing to collect all those points and find that at the end you get a small pack of tissues that are worth like NT$20.

Save up 30 and you get two for one cold stone ice cream. If you go to 7-11 anyway, why hell not?

The toys are lame, but that’s Taiwan for you. Same Japanese fixation with cutesy useless dust collecting junk.

[quote=“catfish13”]… pretend that I’m still in the States.
… can’t survive on nutella and jelly sandwiches all the time …[/quote]

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: You’re 'merican AND like Nutella WITH jelly?? :ponder: A new definition of expat. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote=“maunaloa”][quote=“catfish13”]… pretend that I’m still in the States.
… can’t survive on nutella and jelly sandwiches all the time …[/quote]

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: You’re 'merican AND like Nutella WITH jelly?? :ponder: A new definition of expat. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:[/quote]

I am trying nutella and jelly (it’s actually ok) because my peanut butter ran out and I got too lazy to go to the store. Don’t you just love American ingenuity.

Thursday is the one day that I’m free, so the horror ends then.