Thought of taking my scooter back to Aus

I’m going back to Aus in a few months and thought it would be nice to take my scooter with me.
Has anyone done that before? What hoops did you have to jump through? How much did it cost?

dont they sell real motorcycles in Aus? i bet the shipping only would cost you a scooter or motorcycle there…

they only got the small ones there, not as cool as Taiwanese ones…but if you live in WA, I guess a motorcycle is the better option.

Real motorcycle? Stuff that. I love my scooter. I think it’d be as useful in Aus as it is here in TW.
By the way, I’ll be living in Brisbane.
Any idea of cost involved?
Would it be cheaper to have it come on the plane with me or ship it separately?

Believe me. It would be far cheaper to buy a scooter back home than to ship it.

Airfreight is extremely expensive. I have shipped product by air and you are looking at a good few $$ per kg.

You simply cannot check it in with you when you arrive at the airport.

There is also import duty and the cost of a forwarder to take into consideration. There are also export costs and duties out of Taiwan.
Does the scooter meet with Aus regulations?
You will need plenty documentation as well.

Shipping by sea is also expensive if you ship LCL.

Suggest you forget about doing this.

[quote=“Marty”]Real motorcycle? Stuff that. I love my scooter. I think it’d be as useful in Aus as it is here in TW.
[/quote]

my point was and still is that scooters are only good for small cities… what scooter do you have?

Until someone who has done it before can define an exact price I would recommend not giving up on the idea. I know people who have moved an entire apartment from australia to another country for less than it would cost to buy a decent scooter.

australiatrade.com.au/Shippi … /Index.htm

[quote=“pqkdzrwt”]Until someone who has done it before can define an exact price I would recommend not giving up on the idea. I know people who have moved an entire apartment from australia to another country for less than it would cost to buy a decent scooter.

australiatrade.com.au/Shippi … /Index.htm[/quote]
I have a good friend who took a second-hand backhoe from here to Kiwiland. He just stuck it in a container with his other stuff and shipped it. OK, it was a relatively small one, but still. A frigging BACKHOE! With the caterpillar tracks and everything.

Thanks for the bit of info. That is something I definitely need to be looking in to. I of course will be bringing a whole bunch of other stuff back to Aus when I go, so perhaps a pallet of items including the scooter would be worth the cost.

I’d be concerned about whether the scooter’s specs comply with Australian regulations.

Absolutely. And chances are, it doesn’t. For example, scooters sold here don’t even have the normal 17-digit VIN. Not sure if they care about that in AUS, but you can’t register it in the US without that. And that’s a fairly common thing for vehicles to have.

You need to do a whole lot of researching to find out what it would need to be able to jump through all the legal hoops when you try to register it.