Thoughts on the untimely death of a foreigner

Some thoughts:

1. Isn’t there a payout from the mandatory motorcycle insurance that could also help?

2. Xpat Magazine would be doing the foreign community an enormous favor by also publishing an article on the importance of insurance so that other families will not have to be in a situation like this.

[quote=“Flicka”]Some thoughts:

1. Isn’t there a payout from the mandatory motorcycle insurance that could also help?

2. Xpat Magazine would be doing the foreign community an enormous favor by also publishing an article on the importance of insurance so that other families will not have to be in a situation like this.[/quote]

3. Huh? :eh: I’ve heard of maybe a half-dozen foreigners dying in Taiwan in my 6 years here. Now we learn of a foreign boyfriend and girlfriend who each died here within months of each other in traffic accidents in Tainan. What are the odds? Were they both extremely careless in crossing the road? Is Tainan’s traffic particularly hazardous? Did she step in front of a car out of grief over the loss of her boyfriend?

If she really is an actual person who was killed it’s very sad. Same for him. What an odd and unfortunate coincidence, though.

From what I’ve read on Tainan Bulletin, alcohol was a factor in both deaths.

Drunk driving catches up with most people eventually.

Taxis are too cheap in this country for this to be such a problem. My condolences to friends and family :frowning:

What a terrible thing indeed. :frowning: Was alcohol involved? Why aren’t the parents paying for it? If they can’t pay for the shipping, they must be in dire financial straits and will have trouble also paying for her funeral costs back in Canada (not cheap). Why don’t they come to Taiwan, burn her here, and take the ashes back to Canada. In my opinion, that would be the cheapest way to handle this.

[quote]THIS SAT XPAT RAGGAE PARTY ON THE LAKE
Just a reminder that this Saturday Xpat will be throwing another
killer bash to celebrate the release of the 3rd issue: POP. Come out to
the Lake Tavern in Kaohsiung starting at sunset and help us kick off our
best issue yet with:[/quote]

Nothing to do with this unfortunately worded ad was it?

Agree with Chewy. By the bye, I’m sure all my (non-teaching, admittedly) jobs had some measure of death insurance. Has someone checked out what the family is entitled to? If she was hit by a car, even though she sounds as though she was pissed, the driver too might be liable, or at least his/her insurance. Sounds to me like they need some assistance other than just money.

I know a friend in Taichuing had to deal with this when a young American co-worker was killed. He negotiated with the school, insurance and so on to get her body home.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote]THIS SAT XPAT RAGGAE PARTY ON THE LAKE
Just a reminder that this Saturday Xpat will be throwing another
killer bash to celebrate the release of the 3rd issue: POP. Come out to
the Lake Tavern in Kaohsiung starting at sunset and help us kick off our
best issue yet with:[/quote]

Nothing to do with this unfortunately worded ad was it?

Agree with Chewy. By the bye, I’m sure all my (non-teaching, admittedly) jobs had some measure of death insurance. Has someone checked out what the family is entitled to? If she was hit by a car, even though she sounds as though she was pissed, the driver too might be liable, or at least his/her insurance. Sounds to me like they need some assistance other than just money.

I know a friend in Taichuing had to deal with this when a young American co-worker was killed. He negotiated with the school, insurance and so on to get her body home.

HG[/quote]

Would these insurance schemes still cover a person if they were drinking and driving?Seriously, I can’t fathom why someone who has been drinking wouldn’t pay 120NT and take a taxi ride home. Aren’t teachers supposed to make good money in Taiwan relatively speaking? If she could afford to drink, why didn’t she just take a taxi home? :noway: :fume:

Canadian Maritimers are always stereotyped as drinking rum and pushing cod around the floor with their noses. It is sad that they aren’t overcoming this stereotype when they are overseas by acting more responsibly.

I’m sad for the families of this girl, but drinking and driving (especially in a country where taxis are bloody cheap–not like in Japan :s) puts everybodies life at risk.

Can we get some more facts before this spirals out of control please? Some of you are “IP heads,” and won’t consider anything until there has been significant proof. Things are in danger of becoming unpleasant in this thread. Please wait until there is more evidence before you start judging her. Thank you.

Agreed

On the Tainan Bulletin site alcohol is mentioned as a factor, but let’s not get too uppity about it, I mean young Cannucks, like younger folk from everywhere, are prone to stupidity, that’s just the nature of being young on a Saturday night.

There but for the grace of whoever go many of us I dare say, especially in our early days in Taiwan.

Agree Tom Hill, let’s keep the focus on what can be done to help.

HG

groups.yahoo.com/group/Tainan_bu … arset=big5

Drinking and driving is unpleasant. There is no way to “sugar” that simple fact.

groups.yahoo.com/group/Tainan_bu … arset=big5

Drinking and driving is unpleasant. There is no way to “sugar” that simple fact.[/quote]

Ok, then can we stick to the OP’s request for help, and start another thread about drinking and driving elsewhere please. Thank you.

This is not the time nor the place, Chewy. Several posters on this forum from Tainan knew the girl. I only met her once or twice but she seemed like a lovely person, and much too young to die. Lay off the sermonizing for a bit.

I think raising 300k is the wrong way to go about it.

Someone should find out how much a cremation costs, as Chewy suggested, and get her sent back to her family. Perhaps and auction could be held for her possessions to raise money as well?

Just brainstorming.

And yes please, this girl’s friends and family may log in here, so let’s be sympathetic if we can and empathetic in the very least.

To jana’s friends and family,
Very sorry for your loss.

jdsmith

Why do people suggest cremation when this is obviously not the will of the family?
I mean this may be the “cheapest option” but this is not what this is about, is it?

[quote=“Rascal”]Why do people suggest cremation when this is obviously not the will of the family?
I mean this may be the “cheapest option” but this is not what this is about, is it?[/quote]

Do we know that rascal? That they do not want a cremation?

When it says alcohol was involved, I think “drunk driving”. As I understand it, Jana was walking and hit by a drunk driver. It is most certainly not Jana’s fault.

As for cremation, we don’t know what the family wants. But what the family wants is how it should be. Many people oppose cremation for religious or other reasons.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Rascal”]Why do people suggest cremation when this is obviously not the will of the family?
I mean this may be the “cheapest option” but this is not what this is about, is it?[/quote]

Do we know that rascal? That they do not want a cremation?[/quote]

Sounds like they are a Catholic Nova Scotia type of family. If that is the case, I can probably understand why they want the body to be put in the ground. That being said, sometimes when it comes to funeral arrangements, cost is the determining factor. Anyways, my sympathies to the family (despite my “tough love” comments on drinking and driving!!)

This is a sad story. However, doesn’t NT$300,000 seem a bit expensive to send a box, one way, to Canada?

Thanks for the new thread moddy.

Can anyone fill in the gaps here, so speculation can end?

Good point, perhaps they are referring to the full cost of the funeral as well.

I just saw this regarding the cost of sending back a body to the US, although it doesn’t say from where.

Flying a body and casket home can cost as little as $300 or as much as $1,700 or more, depending on the airline, destination and, often, the weight, said Jack Jensen, spokesman for the California Funeral Directors Assn. And that doesn’t include mortuary costs.

HG