Threatened by strong opinions and criticism

Hey everyone. Just wanted to pop in here with a quick question for you all.

I have been having issues with the schools I’ve been working for since the beginning of the new term. To me it seems that even as a foreign teacher, we’re expected to conform to their bullsh*t standards and methods for teaching (IMO). If we don’t, then we are bombarded with complaints and the famous Taiwanese way of doleing (sp?) out backhanded BS.

Anyways, my problems are that I’m a very outspoken person, and I firmly belive in my methods of teaching (which were developed at one of the finest Liberal Arts schools in the U.S.). I have refused time and again to give in to the pressure of the schools to teach a certain way, and have voiced my displeasure of being pressured to do so. So, given my strong opinions and refusal to change the methods which I, and others, agree are quite alright…these schools have begun to cut hours.

Bottom line…has anyone else experienced this same kind of thing when you didn’t just go along with what a school wants, like some mindless sheep out to pasture? I really hope I’m not alone on this.

There is no ONE PERFECT methodology for teaching languages.

Language teachers should seek to try out a variety of methods in their classrooms in order to appeal to a variety of learning styles. If teachers do not continually and actively research their own classroom environments, they may find themselves subject to burnout early in their careers.

So, I believe your school is correct in pressuring you to try another methodology rather than adhering strictly to the ONE you think is best.

You also must remember that learning styles are affected by sociocultural factors, so a methodology that may appear to be superior in the US, may in fact, not aim to promote the same skills in Asian learners.

You should be more flexible with and not so judgmental of your school. Afterall, they are not forcing you to use a particular method, are they? You are the one demanding that YOURS be used.
Which is what? PLease elaborate. It will shed more light on this subject if you added detail to what exactly you’re doing that they’re opposed to.

BTW, you’ll not get very far with Taiwanese by taking this attitude. In fact, you wouldn’t get far with too many jobs anywhere in the world. YOu need to bend and flex more and there are ways of doing it so as not to sacrifice your own set of beliefs.

Therin lies the problem. I call my “style” just that, but I do encompass different methods of learning in how I teach. Visual, spatial, verbal, etc. I have always strived to be able to reach every student and not just the ones who fall into a certain category. I have a broad range of how I approach it, which I haven’t seen too many others do, so that’s why I call it a style. May not be the right term though. No, the methods that are trying to be forced on me are the whole “the kids should be absorbing this like sponges” approach. Memorization and not what I would call actual learning. That’s the major problem I have with it. Or “test taking machines” as was stated before on another thread.

[quote=“Alien”]
BTW, you’ll not get very far with Taiwanese by taking this attitude. In fact, you wouldn’t get far with too many jobs anywhere in the world. YOu need to bend and flex more and there are ways of doing it so as not to sacrifice your own set of beliefs.[/quote]

Actually I’ve found that to be a half-truth everywhere else I’ve been except here.

The school is the one paying you your salary. If they want you to do things a certain way, then do it. If you can’t do what is asked, for whatever reason, then look for a place that matches your teaching style.

Good point.

I realize I’m being a bit stubborn with my method(s), and yea sometimes it causes friction. But I’ve been teaching ever since my freshman year in Uni, and its just a little unnerving that the same things that worked, and worked well, back home seem to cause conflict here. But I suppose that’s just me refusing to adapt and be flexible, as alien was saying.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks ya’ll. :notworthy:

[quote=“SteveZeAuthor”]I realize I’m being a bit stubborn with my method(s), and yea sometimes it causes friction. But I’ve been teaching ever since my freshman year in Uni, and its just a little unnerving that the same things that worked, and worked well, back home seem to cause conflict here. But I suppose that’s just me refusing to adapt and be flexible, as alien was saying.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks ya’ll. :notworthy:[/quote]

I think finding a school that meets your requirements as a teacher is the key to being happy as an ESL teacher in Taiwan. Some folks like the song and dance routine while others want to teach in a more hardcore environment. Find a school that matches how you think English should be taught.