Threats from former partner- how to proceed?

Call in the help of your local contacts

In addition to the above suggestions, there’s also the Legal Aid Foundation.

Specifically for landlord-tenant issues, you may want to contact the Tsuei Mama Foundation.

3 Likes

Just so you know legal aid foundation advise is not all that useful… relevant agencies are far more useful than these guys.

It’s hit and miss – there are some very smart people working for them, but you get assigned the lawyer you get assigned. :2cents:

1 Like

Yea I went there for legal advise regarding the o bike case and they have no idea how the Taiwan criminal justice works…

They’re called LAF because they LAF at you for not having money to hire lawyers.

Actually I had better luck searching on Dcard or PTT… can’t post anything on PTT but plenty of people post about legal problems there.

I mean if the OP’s ex is threatening then she needs to file a police report.

I would change locks as an immediate step and then find a new apartment within a week or two. I’d send him back the money he wants less repair fees (with an explanation of why the money was deducted) and eat losses from early rental termination.

Lawyer can help you keep your money and provide some cosmic sense of justice, but lawyers and police are not some magical forcefield that provide you safety 24/7. Violent mentally unstable large former boyfriend you struggle to communicate with who is demanding money from you and knows where you live? Time to disappear - new apartment would help a ton. Not sure if workplace is an issue.

Mistakes are opportunities to learn. Consider traditional wisdom regarding housing and rooming with members of opposite sex.

3 Likes

He broke the lease and damaged the flat. He gets nothing and he is responsible for repairs.

2 Likes

Yes, in terms of justice.

But I assumed we were primarily concerned with her not being violently attacked. In which case justice is irrelevant because being “right” doesn’t prevent an angry violent mentally unstable man from violently attacking you. What prevents that is either having him locked up (impossible in this case as no crime committed) or making it impossible for him to find you.

If money is the primary concern, sure, get a lawyer (note though that involving lawyers adds huge expense, so if she thinks 70k NTD is a problem then wait till she sees the lawyer’s hourly biling rate). Of course don’t be surprised then when the violent angry mentally unstable former boyfriend does something very bad indeed.

Hence my recommendation to give him what he wants and then make it such that he can’t find her. Yes, in terms of justice this is unjust, but she is at least safe and learns a critical life lesson.

2 Likes

block social media and cellphone numbers as well.

this is about the best thing to do. 70k or so, seems like a lot but in the grand scheme of things its not life changing amount of money and you can recover.

just vanish, in about 2-3months you will financially recover, its coming into winter so its a good time to live quiet and simple, watch movies, hang with a few good friends.

1 Like

Huge as in tall, muscular, or fat?

How could he damage your work life? Do you two work together?

All of the above? Lol. I’m concerned with him contacting my employer and basically badmouthing me or embarrassing me, dragging our dirty laundry into my workplace and creating drama. This fear is based on his past erratic behavior, past relationship threads on this forum discussing vindictive ex behavior, and knowledge of pretty severe mental health issues he’s struggling with.

1 Like

if he “badmouths to your employer” its very easy to press criminal charges for defamation, and i would assume that the employer will A: not be interested in listening to him, B: semi protect their employee from harassment in the workplace.

2 Likes

Given the fact that I work with this lawyer and he is a reasonable man, I think I would know what kind of expenses we’re looking at. I said he gives free consulations as well. So one should not make wild unsubstantiated claims.

There are lots of things he can do to her legally if he wishes. Capitulating can be perceived as admission of guilt. That’s why a lawyer’s advice is recommended.

Perhaps, but unless she wants an angry landlord also going after her, the lawyer’s advice is going to be the best advice anyone can give.

2 Likes

makes me think of this guy

1.88m tall but he doesn’t look it it photos
he’s more fit now though, this is an old pic

1 Like

I think @luke08 has a valid point. Personal safety comes first. We don’t know all the details and @anonanon will have to judge, but it’s worth mentioning in this context.

6 Likes

I think should try to move out ASAP, ask the landlord for a deal.on the deposit. If anything is left over ex gets half. If the landlord doesn’t do a deal landlord needs to inform ex on your behalf. Better you don’t contact ex actually if at all possible until you are sorted out . You should really move for your own safety and you can find a cheaper place to live anyway. Move out first with all your stuff so as he doesn’t know where you are. Money can always be earned later
You can also flag up with your HR or manager that your ex is acting erratically and they should not let him on premises or share information about you under any circumstances .

3 Likes

What needs to happen is OP needs to file a police report and get a restraining order. Seriously. The police report can also be used to inform people like bosses and landlords of the situation.

And probably get some pepper spray too…

Yep, this is in process now. I appreciate everyone’s solid advice here!

7 Likes

Wait, his past relationship threads on this forum? :grimacing:

That’s how I read it at first too.
But I think she means examples of vindictive ex partners written in other threads on Forumosa.

1 Like