Throw the fish back in please

Why is it that many of the fishing enthusiasts in the Tucheng area do not throw the fish back in after they have caught them? Instead they throw them on the bank to die. This leads to a bad smell and a proliferation of dead fish carcasses not even taking into account depleting fish stocks in the river. Is it not part of the local fishing culture here to return [strike]dead[/strike] ( caught but alive) fish back into the river? I am of course talking about hobby fishing.

In my experience they keep everything they catch regardless of size. They’ll also plop down next to you regardless of the size of the fishing hole or stream.
Saw two guys with a net completely empty a fishing hole I know of. I didn’t tell them the hole was run off from a main sewer. Happy eating!

A good practical question fenlander.

Simply a lack of respect for nature perhaps?

I get worked up every time I see students flicking cigarette butts or I see someone throwing crap out of his or her car. I think this kind of behavior is pretty common here. Am I right?

I’m still guilty of not being vegetarian yet, but to catch a fish for sport and then leave it to die seems idiotic on many levels.

Ignorance. They’re city dwellers trying a new hobby, same as those who go riding expensive italian racing bicycles without a helmet or without cycling shoes. They bought the gear (or some of it), but have no prior experience with the sport and no community of experienced peers who can guide them well.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”]In my experience they keep everything they catch regardless of size. They’ll also plop down next to you regardless of the size of the fishing hole or stream.
Saw two guys with a net completely empty a fishing hole I know of. I didn’t tell them the hole was run off from a main sewer. Happy eating![/quote]

Well I am glad they eat everyhting it is better than just throwing it on the bank to die. Come over to where I am and you will see them strewn about. There was a really large one dumped on the bank yesterday.

Funny story about the sewer lol By the way Bubba do you fish?

ah those racing bikes damn I wish they had kept to those old commie style bikes instead

This is true for a lot of things here in Taiwan. Personally speaking I’ve encountered this with hiking, large motorcycles and surfing. 15 years ago everyone’s idea of a restful weekend was drinking rice wine at a KTV on their one day off. The longer weekends and better lifestyles and economic changes have brought a leisure class that are trying new stuff.

Lead by example. I catch and release, ride my bike responsibly and surf safely and courteously (unless someone snakes me -then they are pushed gently off their boards)

Fenlander my fishing style watch to the end [ast the squirrel trapping—

I don’t hunt or trap anymore.

It can’t be much fun catching dead fish.

Sorry, MT, I don’t buy that. Even the basest savage knows that living creatures suffer pain. And these are Buddhists! :roflmao: Perchance in their “rebirth” they come back as the butterfly that gets gleefully squashed; the fish that is randomly left to suffocate on the wharf; the dog, kept in a cage, that gets mercilessly beaten when it pees on itself; the shark, it’s fins cut off, thrown alive into the sea to die a horrible death by drowning; the elephant, whilst still alive, having it’s tusks hacked off; or the lowly rat, mutilated in traps, reviled for wallowing in man-made filth. Instant karma.

This is true for a lot of things here in Taiwan. Personally speaking I’ve encountered this with hiking, large motorcycles and surfing. 15 years ago everyone’s idea of a restful weekend was drinking rice wine at a KTV on their one day off. The longer weekends and better lifestyles and economic changes have brought a leisure class that are trying new stuff.

Lead by example. I catch and release, ride my bike responsibly and surf safely and courteously (unless someone snakes me -then they are pushed gently off their boards)

Fenlander my fishing style watch to the end [ast the squirrel trapping—

I don’t hunt or trap anymore.[/quote]

Ha ha nice fishing love it. I’ll have to do that in front of the local fishermen to see how they respond lol

It can’t be much fun catching dead fish.

Sorry, MT, I don’t buy that. Even the basest savage knows that living creatures suffer pain. And these are Buddhists! :roflmao: Perchance in their “rebirth” they come back as the butterfly that gets gleefully squashed; the fish that is randomly left to suffocate on the wharf; the dog, kept in a cage, that gets mercilessly beaten when it pees on itself; the shark, it’s fins cut off, thrown alive into the sea to die a horrible death by drowning; the elephant, whilst still alive, having it’s tusks hacked off; or the lowly rat, mutilated in traps, reviled for wallowing in man-made filth. Instant karma.[/quote]

He’s saying they are doing it cause they don’t know better what are you saying exactly that they are doing it from malice or they just don’t care?

They’re doing it because it gives them some type of vicarious “power” to know that they are the Top Dogs.

Is this on the conscious level or unconscious?

:thumbsup:

Maybe they just enjoy killing lol

Maybe they just enjoy killing lol[/quote]
Like I said. Power. Turns my stomach.

They probably beat their children too, those monsters.

I’ll slap you with my sole and put you in your plaice. If I only cod.

Leaving the dead fish on the banks is littering, that’s bad, ok I understand , but what’s the point of throwing dead carcasses back into the water? Isn’t that just as disruptive to the ecosystem as depleting the live stock ? Catch and release, is that what you are talking about, fenlander?

Okay I will explain. In normal fishing protocol one catches the fish and then removes the hook while they are still alive. You then throw them back into the river. Therefore they can breed again and this does not deplete the fish stock. The idea of most sport fishing is not to eat the fish just catch it to asscess your skill at fish hunting.

Okay I will explain. In normal fishing protocol one catches the fish and then removes the hook while they are still alive. You then throw then back into the river. Therefore they can breed again and this does not deplete the fish stock. The idea of most sport fishing is not to eat the fish just catch it to asscess your skill at fish hunting.[/quote]
:thumbsup: