Throw the fish back in please

I have to admit the main issue for me is not the fish dying but the fact my dog keeps rolling in dead fish. This really pisses off my wife when we come back from dog walking. In addition the fish smells mainly because of the fish oil which is not soluble in water and so is hard to wash off. I would also really like it if they thought about maintaining fish stocks in the rivers or at least eat the fish!

I must admit that I find the joy of hunting or killing an animal for sport absolutely alien. But I do accept that hunters or fishers who eat their kills have at least done their own dirty work as opposed to myself and other meat-eaters.

Not to catch and release epitomizes selfishness. The fish should be thrown back in and alive. No reason for dead fish on the bank or in the water.

What Taiwan needs is a real national hero like Rex Hunt (Mike’s brother). rexhunt.com.au/

If Taiwan had a good national fishing show that taught people how to kiss a fish instead of killing them, we’d have more fish for everybody and less sellfishness.

Check out Rex Hunt’s fishing videos youtube.com/watch?v=A5wVO7Yusrk

In the US there are large percentages of the fish stock that are non-native and considered pests.

No limits and no requirements to catch and release, in fact, it’s often encouraged to remove as many of the non-native fish as possible since they are often detrimental in displacing the native populations.

I have no idea if this is what you observed but it’s worth looking at possible explanations rather than just dismissing the Taiwanese for wrecking the environment.

Even if that’s the case, kill them immediately after catching. Don’t leave them to flap around, suffocating.

[quote=“Shaktipalooza”]In the US there are large percentages of the fish stock that are non-native and considered pests.

No limits and no requirements to catch and release, in fact, it’s often encouraged to remove as many of the non-native fish as possible since they are often detrimental in displacing the native populations.

I have no idea if this is what you observed but it’s worth looking at possible explanations rather than just dismissing the Taiwanese for wrecking the environment.[/quote]

I’m with jimi on this one - kill them if they are pests.

But also - don’t just leave them rotting around for fenlander’s dog to cavort with.

I’m not going to the Tucheng area to check out the rotting fish and look online for comparisons, but I’m quite convinced that the people fenlander is speaking of are not trying to save the native fish population by killing non-native species. People who are actually aware of fishing are unlikely to drop fish off on the bank.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”][quote=“Shaktipalooza”]In the US there are large percentages of the fish stock that are non-native and considered pests.

I have no idea if this is what you observed but it’s worth looking at possible explanations rather than just dismissing the Taiwanese for wrecking the environment.[/quote]

I’m with jimi on this one - kill them if they are pests.

But also - don’t just leave them rotting around for fenlander’s dog to cavort with.

I’m not going to the Tucheng area to check out the rotting fish and look online for comparisons, but I’m quite convinced that the people fenlander is speaking of are not trying to save the native fish population by killing non-native species. People who are actually aware of fishing are unlikely to drop fish off on the bank.[/quote]

You made me laugh with that post. I like your very dry sense of humour. I will try and take a picture next time of some examples lol :thumbsup:
The point about the non native fish made by the other poster is actually a very good one but yeah I think you are right about those fishemen in Tu Cheng and their reasons not being anything to do with conservation. They leave trash everywhere too as well as the fish.

I’ve never seen people angling in Taiwanese rivers. However, the rivers in the national parks near where I live are full of fish traps. Seems to me this would explain your fishy situation adequately: turn up, take the fish they want, chuck the rest. Isn’t that what fishing’s about? :unamused:

There are lots of anglers in Taiwan they even have a TV program devoted to it. Angling is a huge sport here there are two angling shops right near my house :thumbsup:

Yes, completely true, however in my experience the vast majority of anglers I’ve seen have been fishing on the coast. Fishing on the beach, fishing on rocky outcrops, etc.

Most of the fishing I’ve seen in rivers has been people leaving lines in the water and wandering off, or setting fish traps and wandering off.

Are you talking about this fish?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plecostomus

The waters here are loaded with them since they are a popular aquarium fish and the habitat in Taiwan is perfect for them. And everyone knows how disposable pets are for many Taiwanese.

[quote=“cjc444”]Are you talking about this fish?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plecostomus

The waters here are loaded with them since they are a popular aquarium fish and the habitat in Taiwan is perfect for them. And everyone knows how disposable pets are for many Taiwanese.[/quote]
God damn yes that is one of the most common ones I see yes. Are they a pest species?

Oh yes they are. About every country with weather such as here has an issue with these since they are so popular with the pet trade. I think they are native to central and south America with talks of banning the import of them into the US. The fishermen are doing the right thing, but as usual, the wrong way.

Yah well i’m impressed then. I was ignorant about this partifcular issue but now I know better. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I would have looked a right plonker if I had screamed at them for not throwing the pest fish back in the river :roflmao:

fenlander, as cjc444 says

It’s far from environmental preservation they are partaking of. They are a.) leaving rotting corpses around, and b.) not killing the fish before leaving them.

You’d be a plonker for not getting irritated with them. Shout away. They are being as thoughtless as the people who dispose of their pet fish, albeit that their actions are less environmentally destructive.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”]fenlander, as cjc444 says

It’s far from environmental preservation they are partaking of. They are a.) leaving rotting corpses around, and b.) not killing the fish before leaving them.

You’d be a plonker for not getting irritated with them. Shout away. They are being as thoughtless as the people who dispose of their pet fish, albeit that their actions are less environmentally destructive.[/quote]

Yah this is true. As you can see from my avatar I am a huge dude so I will throw one in the river while howling “dieeeeeeeeeeeee”. :thumbsup: is that good enough? Do you think it will get the message across?

[quote=“fenlander”]
Yah this is true. As you can see from my avatar I am a huge dude so I will throw one in the river while howling “dieeeeeeeeeeeee”. :thumbsup: is that good enough? Do you think it will get the message across?[/quote]

They’re too daft to get any message. But it would make me happy.

[quote=“ThreadKiller”][quote=“fenlander”]
Yah this is true. As you can see from my avatar I am a huge dude so I will throw one in the river while howling “dieeeeeeeeeeeee”. :thumbsup: is that good enough? Do you think it will get the message across?[/quote]

They’re too daft to get any message. But it would make me happy.[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

On Sunday something worse happened. A discarded (lost) barbed hook with fishing line hooked into my dog. Anyways I have experience of removing fishing hooks from humans even barbed ones so I got it out but that is not fun.
Dog is fine of course just highly annoying

[quote=“fenlander”]On Sunday something worse happened. A discarded (lost) barbed hook with fishing line hooked into my dog. Anyways I have experience of removing fishing hooks from humans even barbed ones so I got it out but that is not fun.
Dog is fine of course just highly annoying[/quote]

You have my sympathies. The hook may of course have just been lost, but might have just been more thoughtless litter. Happy you knew what to do.