Throwing in the Towel

Nah, nonsense ImaniOU. :stinkyface: The world is large, life…long, and people unique. Take on life large and in charge with all the things you love to do. Doing so will make you glow and shine which undoubtedly will catch the eye of a discerning guy who’s RAW (ready, able, willing) :slight_smile:

I feel Imaniou…

But Girl, you are only in your mid-twenties and you have so much going on in your life right now… look on the bright side, I think life is more than that…

It’s hard to convince you myself because I am one of those late twenties Asian female that will become an old-maid soon if I don’t get marry by 30, according to Asian standard…

All I can do each day is focus on myself, my family and friends and that makes me happy right now in my life, not much, but I gotta keep my heads up. Right?
:wink:

I think the right man will around…just for you!!

hum, don’t lower yourself just for the sake of finding one, but do open doors to others that you usually don’t consider to be “your type”, you will be surprisied what you might find in the end.

Dear Imaniou,
I do so absolutely understand you.I

Alaska isn’t the man-buffet it used to be. Most of the good ones have been snatched up what with the groups of Taiwanese 30-somethings coming in and snapping up all the goods. You’re basically limited to wet-behind-the-ears enlisted rapper-wannabes and drunk, bigoted in-from-the-village rapper-wannabes.

As far as ImanIOU, I feel your frustration. Not sure if you want advice or just a moment to vent, but I agree with some of the helpful comments up above. Just keep active. Do new things. Concentrate on yourself for a while. I know I’ve always had the most happiness (in and out of relationships) when I’ve been the one going out and seizing my bliss.

Good luck.

I think a lot of important points have been said, and I think special attn should be paid to the constructive comments.

One thing I’d like to add is you have an advantage over a lot of other people looking for love. That is, you have a great personality and positive outlook that makes it easy for you to make new friends. Not only that, but you have a network of friends on-line and off-line who are here to support you. And that ain’t nothin’ to shake a stick at!

There are a lot of people out there looking for…well, just looking for, really. But they generate negative vibes, throw blame around, and rant constantly. And those people won’t generate 1/10th of the support you’re getting. They’ll go through life’s hills and valleys with bitterness in their hearts. You’ve got a solid core that will get you through the good and bad times, and that ain’t nothin’ to shake a stick at either! :slight_smile:

I feel for you, but realize this…it could me much, much worse…you might be married and wondering the same thing.

I can understand where Imaniou is at with this. Rather than for me giving up, I just have delayed the whole thing and focused on other aspects of my life. Once I did that there was a certain relief that came with it. I am getting older and certainly dont want to be an older mom, but there are much worse things in life and it’s not really a life requirement that I get married and have kids to be a complete person.

I don’t know for Imaniou, but it would be nice here to be considered by the opposite sex. A little flirtation, some attention every so often. Just the feeling of being a woman in someone eye’s is flattering to the ego, and sometimes reaffirming. Imaniou, someone once told me that when I was questioning the same as you, that God was preserving me. I still don’t know exactly what that means per se. But I have made it come to mean that He’s not just gonna put anyone in my life, but someone that will treat me and love me as my heart desires. And you have been very honest with your childhood expriences, and knowing who you are- you deserve to have nothing but the best. So, if you have to wait just a little bit, try to hang in there.

ouch :astonished:

Did it just get bitter cold in here? brrrrrrrrrrrr

Ironlady wrote [quote] and eight days ago I married him.

Congratulations Ironlady!!! Be gentle with your new toy or you may break it before you’ve finished playing with it. :laughing:

[/quote]What he said.

JDSmith,

This comment was more an expression of existential angst rather than a comment directed at someone specifically…

[quote=“Elegua”]JDSmith,

This comment was more an expression of existential angst rather than a comment directed at someone specifically…[/quote]

gotcha :wink:

Imaniou…are you really only in the your mid-twenties? And giving up on love? Girl, you are just beginning to find out about love. You’re going through the growing pains right now.

I was like you in my later 20s. I had so much luck with relationships early on it was pathetic. Had a great gal in my late teens, even better gal later in my mid-20s…and then BAM! Nobody for years.

It happens to the best of us. You do have to focus on other things though or you will be depressed. I took up a brand new sport and met a lot of people, and became great friends with girls, rather than romantics.

I was miserable until I did indeed think of other things besides landing a great girl. Heck, change careers or go back to school! That will catch your attention.

No, no, no — keep the towel because you never know when you might meet that hot, sweaty guy just looking for a towel and BAM, there you are, ready and waiting to wipe him down. :wink:
Seriously, girlfriend, I am well over the

I also agree to keep the towel .
I never thought of having my first bf who is from a different country, 20 years older than me, having a totally different life as mine, and I do fall in love with. I think you never know what kind of person you’ll be attracted to.

I might suggest just open more possibilites to yourself while having fun. :wink:

I just came across this article from the Wall Street Journal:

Asia: heaven for men, hell for women

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]I just came across this article from the Wall Street Journal:

Asia: heaven for men, hell for women[/quote] I think that article pertains to ex-pats in Thailand and maybe Hong Kong rather than Taiwan or Asia as a whole. The situation here is not exactly the same.

Soi Nana is a sleazy ex-pat red light district. Most if not all those women will be with the men for quick-fix financial gain.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“hypermegaglobal”]I just came across this article from the Wall Street Journal:

Asia: heaven for men, hell for women[/quote] I think that article pertains to ex-pats in Thailand and maybe Hong Kong rather than Taiwan. The situation here is not exactly the same.

Soi Nana is a sleazy ex-pat red light district. Most if not all those women will be with the men for quick-fix financial gain.[/quote]

I agree, concerning male western expats + asian women, for all I know Taiwan is very different from Thailand. However, for western women both countries and - as the article claims - maybe all of Asia seem to be difficult places relationship-wise. That was my point (should’ve made it clear).

I’ll hold on to my towel for a little bit longer…perhaps tucking it into my back pocket so I don’t forget it’s there. I’m not one to give up easily on anything that seems impossible (such as coming to Taiwan alone with only a few months to save up for the plane ticket and living expenses), but whereas most of the challenges in life seem short-term, it feels like this one has lasted me my entire lifetime.

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement and I hope this thread has helped anyone out there who feels the way I do by taking your words to heart. Thanks.

Okay, now I’m confused.

If love will find me when I stop looking for it, does that mean I should pull my profile off Forumosa Friends?

Or just change my status to “single, but not looking”?

:slight_smile: