THSR: "Baby Changing Station" vs "Diaper Change Zone"

“Baby Changing Station” is a standard phrase in the US for this purpose.

Example:
plumbingsupply.com/baby-chan … tions.html

I wonder if the Baby Changing Stations are made by Koala Bear Kare, a major manufacturer of such items. They certainly use “Baby Changing Station”. You’d think the HSR authorities would defer to the usage as it’s used in English speaking countries. (But no… Taiwanese mid-level government officials always have better Engeroosh than native speakers…)

I’ve also seen “Diaper Changing Table”, but “Baby Changing Station” avoids the word “diaper” and the unsavory imagery it conjures up.

One word of advice for the HSR authorities and their critics: Googling can shed light on what phrases are common in the West.

I’m guessing that someone whose English was pretty good realized that what passes for English in Taiwan is often laughably bad, and started to assume that pretty well all examples were wrong. He/she’s overcompensating.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“cranky laowai”]I wouldn’t know how to tell the original complainers they’re wrong, wrong, wrong. (But I’m trying muttering it right now, just in case that works.)

Taiwan Gaotie’s Web site, however, has a suggestions form and a customer-service number (6626-8000).[/quote]Does that page work?[/quote]

Nothing seems to happen after I click Submit.

Just to muddy the waters a bit:

There’s a local TV personality (a Taiwanese guy) whose stage name is 黑人. Furthermore, the term 黑衣人 (man/men in black) can end up sounding like 黑人 if spoken quickly.

Babies should be careful when changing stations. That’s a dangerous thing to do when you are that little…

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“cranky laowai”]I wouldn’t know how to tell the original complainers they’re wrong, wrong, wrong. (But I’m trying muttering it right now, just in case that works.)

Taiwan Gaotie’s Web site, however, has a suggestions form and a customer-service number (6626-8000).[/quote]Does that page work?[/quote]

Nothing seems to happen after I click Submit.[/quote]

I did submit a comment to the HSR, and got back an automated email stating they “were glad I enjoyed their services”–I never actually used them, but hey.

I don’t know what exactly you’re referring to in this part, but I just gotta say that I love those signs![/quote]

David on Formosa has several posts on “kiss and ride”. Here’s one of his photos at a high-speed rail station.
[/quote]

That is so weird…maybe the guy heard it said on his last trip to America and thought he was getting down with the hip American things.

I don’t understand why so many Taiwanese have difficulty distinguishing between formal English appropriate for signs or written documents, and colloquial or slang phrases. It never seems that difficult for me in Chinese…and if one is not sure it is so so easy to check on the internet to find the correct usage.
Maybe it is because they regard foreign culture as “informal”, “easy”, or “relaxed” in contrast to their own “formal” and “serious” culture, and erroneously believe that the average foreigner would admire the hipness of such a sign.

My buddy from New Jersey says that “Kiss and Ride” or “Park and Kiss” is as common as can be for commuter lines into New York City. You drop off your better half, kiss and split. He thinks these signs are (in suburban train stations) common in the Tri-state area.

Seems like it is also in use in Australia. But then they did to favour this type of informal language.

northerndistricttimes.com.au … 1_news.htm[/img]

I don’t know what exactly you’re referring to in this part, but I just gotta say that I love those signs![/quote]

David on Formosa has several posts on “kiss and ride”. Here’s one of his photos at a high-speed rail station.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I guess I missed that important news item. :unamused:

I didn’t know what the signs meant when I first saw them in Virginia about 11 years ago, but it took me less than a minute to figure it out. I can’t believe people would actually want the station authorities to spend money to change the signs! :loco:

It’s a cute idea. We should all be reminded to show a little tenderness before we say goodbye to someone. You never know if it could be the last time…

As long as the people in charge have a reference or a guidebook to go by, then they’re ok against stupid attacks, right?

It’s when the people in charge have NO idea where certain terms come from or why they used those terms that they start panicking and calling in “language experts” to rectify the terms.

The MRT and the Airport have their work simplified since they contracted outside help to build and name the facilities. Kiss and Ride came from the company that built the HSR. Taiwan could always play the “it is so called because the major company in (whatever foreign country) also has it so”. That’s not so hard now is it?

Ironically I read the link to the news site as Nonews, now of course I realize my error, but seriously, over zealous news reporting at Taiwan’s best. So if they change it to “diaper changing station”, then are people going to expect a new one in return for their old one? Or perhaps another old one for their old one?

Could be worse I guess…

“I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated.”

guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2008/nov/01/5