Railways - THSR to be extended to Pingtung

Expected to take about 9 years. They’re also planning on building a science park at the terminal station!

With the Yilan extension also planned, could we one day see round-island travel on THSR?

2 Likes

thats cool!

Good news for Taiwanese people and people living in or visiting Taiwan.

I’m guessing a lot of Taipei workers will be moving there in the future and commuting in.

• Please disregard this post. Got the Pingtung and Yilan articles switched around in my mind

In my opinion, the money you would save on the cheaper rent would be more than lost on the very expensive HSR tickets you’d need to buy each day, or do they have a season pass?

2 Likes

Why would you want to spend 4 hours a day commuting?

2 Likes

to live someplace you prefer but where there aren’t the job opportunities for you available; plenty of people in the u.s. do it, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic (or commuting weekly on long flights, then driving each day). HSR would be a much more comfortable way to do it.

1 Like

Deleted post in error

Deleted post in error

We are talking about Pingtung

2 Likes

As I noted in subforum Kaohsiung Pros and Cons, a lot lot lot more money from the central government will be pouring south into Tainan, Kaohsiung, Pingtung in the next few years. Very good news.

Did they finalize a route? I thought they had 2-3 choices but the article doesn’t get into much detail about that.

Will this be another station miles away from the center of the main city?

1 Like

Probably. And they’ll build a huge mall around it.

2 Likes

Lucky the govt is so rich.

Sorry, my mistake.
There were a lot of news articles on the Yilan HSR extension recently and I confused the two articles.

Meanwhile the route will bypass Kaohsiung Main Station.

There’s no way they’d put up with this in Taipei.

Guy

No need to go to Kaohsiung main station. Zuoying already handles the traffic just as well, and you can take either TRA or MRT from Zuoying to main station. No need to throw money down the toilet by making HSR go through that main station.

2 Likes

Someone thought it was worth connecting to Taipei Main Station in Taipei City. Why?

The planning in Kaohsiung always has a whiff of something. I’m not saying it’s corrupt, but it sure looks corrupt. Think about the bogus “Shiziwan” KMRT Station that doesn’t actually go to Shiziwan!

Guy

1 Like

The Pingtung County Line group posted a map of the proposed development. On the map there’s a science park, the HSR station, a “technological products” 科技產業 park, a repair area for the HSR and an “exercise and recreational products” 運動休閒產業 park.