🚆 Railways - THSR to be extended to Yilan

Big benefit as gets people onto rail and it’s reliable and opens up huge capacity and it’s fast and less polluting, eventually connecting to hualien and maybe round island.

2 Likes

So what’s the plan with the light rail? get to badu then change to rail rail to finally get to keelung?
I might just use rail rail the whole way instead.

The article is poor.
There would be no reason to do that because you can already take the train to Badu and Keelung all the way.

It reads to me as they have agreed a high level plan to build a full capacity MRT line to Keelung through Badu, but the stations in Keelubg and route are to be decided (big money involved and a lot of politics ).

Now they may simply build an overhead track over the mainline TRA in parts , but it’s not mentioned .

so they are building two seperate lines? an MRT in jilong and a light rail connecting the jilong line to taipei?

Great news for surfers hey!

2 Likes

Motorways around the Xizhi interchange are a complete nightmare around rush hour (and several hours on either side), mainly because of cars queuing, so anything which encourages people off the roads makes sense. Xizhi has been developed massively over the past 20 years or so, with so many new high density developments, but the roads going in and out have hardly changed.

2 Likes

Up by Costco Xizhi it is a nightmare, and a dangerous one at that.

4 Likes

Yep a bit of a horrorzone.

2 Likes

Taiwan LOVES spending money on lots of new projects without thinking a couple decades in the future. Government funds, come on.

They said there would be flying cars in 20 years, 20 years ago.

2 Likes

But now we have Elon :slight_smile:

So, subterranean cars in tunnels. Kind of like, trains, but individual sized.

fify

1 Like

They could use dual gauge tracks for the section shared with the Minsheng-Xizhi line, that is if they still need them to fit on the TRA line. If the whole thing is going on a viaduct it may as well be standard gauge.

HSR is very fast
Best is to go from Keelung along the coast to Ilan

Will kinda ruin the view on the coastal highway
HSR cost so much. And is overall barely paying off its debt

This is a ploy by politicians to make money on land speculation

2 Likes

So where’s the station gonna be then? out in the middle of nowhere then get a bus to finish the journey and save no time overall.

3 Likes

I live in Yilan and use Puyouma to get back and forth to Taipei all the time. I also buy the bus tickets by the 10 pack and use that damn bus all the time. But I hate it. Uncomfortable seats, AC is always either too cold or too hot and it smells… and it’s a bus. Yuck. Plus traffic! Puyouma takes a little longer but at least you KNOW how long it’s gonna take.

So if I’m somewhere in Taipei near a TRA station and I can grab a Puyouma ticket, I will usually do that. E.g. early morning it’s usually easy to get a ticket. If I’m at City Hall, yeah, it’s the bus…

1 Like

Should be about 15 minutes to Nangang.

It took about ten years.

People whose home towns are in Yilan can take the HSR home during those peak “have to go home” holidays.

Then those of us with family in Hualien and Taitung can get Puyuma/Taroko tickets.

3 Likes