Time Asia: Lee Kuan Yew Reflects - on China and more

Much of the interview touches on topics that would fit better in the “international politics” forum. But the first two pages speak specifically to Chinese issues, and I imagine that makes it an appropriate topic for this forum.

Lee’s a remarkable man who has definitely left behind a legacy Asia will remember for a long, long time.

time.com/time/asia/covers/50 … intvu.html

This discussion on Tiananmen is interesting:

[quote]
TIME: You mentioned 1989, the year of the Tiananmen crackdown. You’ve said that came as an incredible shock to you. Do you think Deng Xiaoping did the right thing?

LEE: I cannot judge what he did, because I did not have his information. If, in fact, there was a danger of similar outbursts in other cities, then I think he had to move. But I said later to [then Premier] Li Peng, “When I had trouble with my sit-in communist students, squatting in school premises and keeping their teachers captive, I cordoned off the whole area around the schools, shut off the water and electricity, and just waited. I told their parents that health conditions were deteriorating, dysentery was going to spread. And they broke it up without any difficulty.” I said to Li Peng, you had the world’s TV cameras there waiting for the meeting with Gorbachev, and you stage this grand show. His answer was: We are completely inexperienced in these matters. [/quote]

I find his insights to the world, especially SE Asia, to be quite accurate. Fascinating man. If only Taiwan had a leader like that, much would have been resolved sooner.

Yes, if only Taiwan had had a western educated top notch lawyer to adapt and apply what he learned in an Asian setting. :wink:

I dislike a lot of what “MM” Lee stands for, but I still respect the man. Not many leaders, liberal or otherwise, could have taken a small island city that was on the brink of chaos after being tossed out of Malaysia and make it into what Singapore is today. Mind you I think there are plenty of flaws in modern Singapore that no other country should emulate, but Lee has good reason to be proud of many of his country’s achievements.

cctang:

Could you relate this discussion to Taiwanese politics a little more closely please. Otherwise I will probably move it.

Thanks.

Yes, if only Taiwan had had a western educated top notch lawyer to adapt and apply what he learned in an Asian setting. :wink:

I dislike a lot of what “MM” Lee stands for, but I still respect the man. Not many leaders, liberal or otherwise, could have taken a small island city that was on the brink of chaos after being tossed out of Malaysia and make it into what Singapore is today. Mind you I think there are plenty of flaws in modern Singapore that no other country should emulate, but Lee has good reason to be proud of many of his country’s achievements.[/quote]

:bravo: I dislike LKY with a passion, but let us give credit where credit is due. It is a clean island with top notch infrastructure, a well-educated and modern thinking workforce, and an efficient government.

[quote=“Feiren”]cctang:

Could you relate this discussion to Taiwanese politics a little more closely please. Otherwise I will probably move it.

Thanks.[/quote]
Feiren,

I wasn’t sure it was really Taiwanese-politics related… I thought folks might want to discuss the first two China-specific pages of his interview, but it looks like Lee’s the item of interest. It’s probably a good idea to move this over into the ‘international politics’ forum.

There is the common misconception that somehow “Taiwan” has something to do with China … so I imagine that is why the original poster put this ITEM in this Taiwan Politics Forum.

However, the Republic of China on Taiwan is merely a “government in exile,” and is not recognized by the United Nations or by any leading world nations.

In 1895, Taiwan was ceded to Japan, but in the post WWII peace treaty, the territorial sovereignty of Taiwan was not transferred to the Republic of China …

so again, Taiwan is not “Chinese territory.” I suppose that Lee Kuan Yew is not at all clear about this … but the question becomes … will he search on the forumosa.com/taiwan/ website for this thread’s lucid postings … ???

Check your history, Singapore was not tossed out it decided to not be part of the Malay federation.

Sorry satellite TV but you’re wrong. Singapore WAS expelled from the Malaysian federation in August 1965 by unananimous vote of the Malaysian Parliament because of irreconciliable differences concerning its status within the federation. Lee Kuan Yew has always maintained he did not want this.