Time for everyone to get on the bike

This is dumb. Distribution needs a little tweaking, don’t ya think?

[quote=“Overweight ‘top world’s hungry’”]
The number of people overweight has topped 1bn across the world
There are now more overweight people across the world than hungry ones, according to experts.

US professor Barry Popkin said all countries - both rich and poor - had failed to address the obesity boom.

He told the International Association of Agricultural Economists the number of overweight people had topped 1bn, compared with 800m undernourished. [/quote]

Yeah…I’ll drop by your house tomorrow and empty your fridge. Make sure you’ve got plenty of steaks in the freezer. I’ll be happy to help with redistribution. :laughing:

I’d alot rather be overweight than starving.

Uh, the fridge is empty. Well, there’s a half dozen eggs and some cheese. Freezer’s got a bottle of vodka and some ice. Wouldn’t you rather have the bike on the balcony?

Sure you’d rather be overweight than starving, but it reflects poorly on us that there are nearly a billion people in serious need of food while still more are in need of less.

You can keep the bike…I’ll take the vodka, thank you. :laughing:

[quote=“Jaboney”]
Sure you’d rather be overweight than starving, but it reflects poorly on us that there are nearly a billion people in serious need of food while still more are in need of less.[/quote]

Why does it reflect poorly on us? Because Western and Asian cultures have been fairly successful at providing a decent standard of living for their citizens? There are good reasons why the 3rd world is the 3rd world. Get out of the classroom and go live in a 3rd world country for a while and you’ll see why. (and no, Newfoundland is not a 3rd world country)

I’ve been, thanks. And if you read the article, you’ll see that obesity is also a growing problem in the third world. Distribution’s only part of the problem–diet and lifestyle make a huge difference–but when there’s already more than enough, where it goes is immediately thrown into question. Hurrah to the West and Asia for feeding (most of) their folks. Boo to the West and Asia for not feeding the rest.

Shouldn’t that be Boo to the evil, corrupt leaders in Africa that take the aid money and use it to buy cars and mansions instead of distributing food to their people?

Perhaps you should read alittle bit more about American food aid to the 3rd world. For example, for yars the US has been supplying 75% of the milk to Indonesian primary schools for free. What do the Indonesians do? They charge the parents for the milk.

Lived and worked? Or simply visited while on vacation?

Looks like a win win to me. Kids get milk and the schools get some money. Perfect. Well done the US!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
Looks like a win win to me. Kids get milk and the schools get some money. Perfect. Well done the US!

HG[/quote]

Nope, sorry…the Indonesian word is Korupsi (I’m sure you can figure out the meaning)…the schools don’t get the money. And how many of the kids families do you think can afford to pay for the milk? More than 50% of the children don’t even attend school because their families can’t afford the tuition much less milk.

But Indonesia can afford to buy submarines from South Korea at $300,000,000US apiece as well as squadrons of Russian Mig and Sukhoi figher-bombers.

Well, that may all be true… but, the reason the Indonesian government/schools are corrupt is because the US is evil and arrogant. That’s why. I too blame it on Bush.

That is exactly right Tigerman. In addition, the US should be giving MORE even though none of it will reach the Indonesian children because it will show that we CARE and it will demonstrate that we are good world citizens. Also, for the same reason, we should be giving A LOT MORE to the UN because it does not matter really what it does or does not do. It will mean that we are BETTER people.

But the 'lil childrens of Indonesia are getting their milk, they’re just having to pay for it. The US is fostering a healthy and vibrant local entrepreneurial market. :bravo:

Indeed you should, I mean after all, the UN bails out your little Israeli pals when the limits of their sexual prowess are found somewhat wanting relative to all the strutting and crowing.

My, my, it’s going to be just that much harder to go Iran and Syria with a flaccid and humiliated Israel in tow.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
Indeed you should, I mean after all, the UN bails out your little Israeli pals when the limits of their sexual prowess are found somewhat wanting relative to all the strutting and crowing.[/quote]

Au contraire. The UN has always tried to stop the Israelis from giving your goatfucking buddies a good kicking.

Maybe we should give Australia to the Israelis as their new homeland. I imagine the IDF would cut through Australia like a hot knife through butter.

I rode my bike 550 km. last week, and all it got me was back home.