Time to get a new Canadian passport

I’m coming up on my ten year anniversary of being in Taiwan. And that means I’ll need a new 5 year Canadian passport. Anyone know what documents I’ll need to bring with? Or where I could find the info myself? Thanks in advance.

And I tried searching for this…but when I did a search for “new candian passport” and specified the words need to be in the “title” of the post…I got totally non-related posts…like one topic called “warhammer” was close to the top of the page.

Anyway…feel free to move this as well mods. I’m not sure if this is legal…or residency.

EDIT: Canada’s Trade Office in Taipei: canada.org.tw/english/index.php

Try searching under “canadian trade office in taipei”, and you might have more luck. I did mine last year and was pretty straight forward. Info’s all on the site.

1- Get the printable form here.

(For additional info, this website is good. It’s the same website where the above form is available. )

2- You need 2 passport photos signed by a doctor/lawyer/notary.

3-You need two friends/acquaintances to sign the form to validate your identity.

4- You need your old passport.

5- You need your ARC.

6- You need money to pay for the passport.

7- Take all that to the CTO, and you’re set. 2-3 weeks later you will receive your new passport.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

on top of what bob said:

1. dentists also qualify.

2. the friends don’t need to sign, but you do need to write up all their info (addy etc.)

3. bring about 60 NT worth of stamps along, and they can mail your stuff to you when it’s ready - saves another trip into town.

passport service only available 9-11:30 or so. i had to wait about 20 minutes to see someone, and was out the door 5 minutes later.

the last few times i’ve been, everyone in the CTO has been great. big change from 5-10 years ago.

I heard if you don’t have a doctor…etc…to sign the photos…you can pay some extra cash and it’s ok?

Is this new? I’ve always said that I will never be suprised by the stupid things the passport office comes up with but time and time again they prove me wrong.

Canadian passport? I heard you can grow them. The passport office is here.

I hear taking your passport photo in a hockey mask helps.

reminded me of a rather big issue - make sure the pictures you get match the specs. if there is any problem, you will get sent away and told to get new pics. print out the requirements and show them to the store, or go to the store that the CTO recommends (near their office).

and yes, you can pay about 2K extra and “someone” who has never met you will guarantee that you are really you … (talk about a cash grab).

the PP itself is $2900 for the 24 page and $3300 (check to make sure) for the longer version.

I just noticed this:

[quote]Guarantor

The guarantor does not have to be a Canadian citizen, BUT must be chosen from the groups specified on the passport application form, and must work or practice in Taiwan . This individual must have known you personally for at least two years to qualify as a guarantor. The guarantor must sign the guarantor portion on the passport application form only after the application is completed in full and signed by you. Applications submitted with a date of signature for the guarantor preceeding the date of signature of the applicant will be rejected.

If you do not have a guarantor which satisfies these conditions, you can fill out the form PPT 132 “Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor” and sign it in the presence of a commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, or a Canadian consular officer at the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei (for a fee of NT$ 1,500).

Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.[/quote]

Mordeth, this definitely applies in your case.

The info was taken from: http://www.canada.org.tw/english/services.php#passport

[quote=“funkymonkey”]I just noticed this:

[quote]Guarantor

The guarantor does not have to be a Canadian citizen, BUT must be chosen from the groups specified on the passport application form, and must work or practice in Taiwan . This individual must have known you personally for at least two years to qualify as a guarantor. The guarantor must sign the guarantor portion on the passport application form only after the application is completed in full and signed by you. Applications submitted with a date of signature for the guarantor preceeding the date of signature of the applicant will be rejected.

If you do not have a guarantor which satisfies these conditions, you can fill out the form PPT 132 “Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor” and sign it in the presence of a commissioner for oaths, notary public, lawyer, or a Canadian consular officer at the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei (for a fee of NT$ 1,500).

Please Note: The PPT 132 form may not be accepted in some situations. For example, if you have been living in Taiwan for over 3 years, you will be expected by Passport Canada to have a guarantor and the form will likely be refused.[/quote]

Mordeth, this definitely applies in your case.

The info was taken from: http://www.canada.org.tw/English/services.php#passport[/quote]

Friend of mine has been here for 5 years and he has been seeing the same doctor for that whole time. He asked him to sign it and the doctor refused.

Taiwanese are afraid to sign anything legal looking.

He explained that at the office and they let him use the PPT 132 form.

I know a guy who works at a bank…I’ll try him…and there’s a cop I know that’s pretty friendly…I could try him if the bank guy can’t do it.

I’ve renewed my passport twice here without a guarantor. The last time was about a year ago but even without a guarantor I didnt have any problems. I did have to pay an extra fee of course.

I had to an application ready that was downloaded from the web and they girl at the CTOffice said I needed two applications… so I went and filled out everything again and got the dentist to sign again. I wish they would have told me in the beginning.

Don’t know if that is still the case now.

[quote=“Morbius”]I had to an application ready that was downloaded from the web and they girl at the CTOffice said I needed two applications… so I went and filled out everything again and got the dentist to sign again. I wish they would have told me in the beginning.

Don’t know if that is still the case now.[/quote]

Well I’m on my way to Taipei now…fucking horrible day…I wanted to get there by 9…and as it’s 9:30 now you can see things aren’t going my way. And if I need my guarantor to sign two applications…then I’m screwed as well. Maybe I’ll just go another day…my friend is on hold with the Canadian trade office…he’s been on hold for over 45 minutes now.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Morbius”]I had to an application ready that was downloaded from the web and they girl at the CTOffice said I needed two applications… so I went and filled out everything again and got the dentist to sign again. I wish they would have told me in the beginning.

Don’t know if that is still the case now.[/quote]

Well I’m on my way to Taipei now…fucking horrible day…I wanted to get there by 9…and as it’s 9:30 now you can see things aren’t going my way. And if I need my guarantor to sign two applications…then I’m screwed as well. Maybe I’ll just go another day…my friend is on hold with the Canadian trade office…he’s been on hold for over 30 minutes now. Fuck Canada.[/quote]

dude, you only need one application signed in total. i’ve renewed here twice, and it’s always the same. got the PP in the mail last week, which was a week earlier than they said it would come.

i’ve voiced a fair number of complaints in the past about the CTO, but they’ve improved (though improvements could still be made).

I went in the other day with one application, two black and white photographs (stamped by the photo studio, and signed by my guarantor), $3,100NT (for the 48 page passport - the 24 page one is only $2,900NT) and had no problems whatsoever. They’re telling me that it’ll be ready in 15 working days. I was only in the office for 20 minutes. That’s pretty efficient for government offices, if you ask me. :idunno:
:canada:

I went in the other day with one application, two black and white photographs (stamped by the photo studio, and signed by my guarantor), $3,100NT (for the 48 page passport - the 24 page one is only $2,900NT) and had no problems whatsoever. They’re telling me that it’ll be ready in 15 working days. I was only in the office for 20 minutes. That’s pretty efficient for government offices, if you ask me. :idunno:
:canada:[/quote]

Had the same (good) experience 3 weeks ago. Was supposed to pick it up this week but I won’t have time until July. Just wish they had afternoon pick-up hours as well. I also didn’t have a problem getting my ENT to sign anything… granted he DID look confused but he willingly stamped everything.

I did mine last week. Overall, a bit of a pain in the arse, but not too bad. I didn’t have a guarantor (this is one item I’ve always hated on Canadian passports). I’ve been here well over the three year limit, but they still helped me out this time (with a warning that I will be expected to have a guarantor if I’m still here when I need a new passport next time. They also charged a cool 1500nt to have a consular official serve as guarantor).

The events of my visit played out like this: I downloaded, printed off and filled out the application form. I then arrived in Taipei early the next morning and was met by my girlfriend [who had the morning off and decided to keep me company :slight_smile: ]. We found the photo studio close by that will take photos to the specs required for the passport and got my photos. Soon after I was at the office with my number, waiting…(first wait was’t that bad) I then got called to go through one of the doors to submit my docs. I went through my docs with the person there (Very cheerful Canadian-Taiwanese who seemed genuinely interested in my experiences here). I was then given an additional doc to fill out because I had no guarantor. The pain in the arse part comes after I finished filling out said form and was told I’d have to take another number and wait again. The pain was reduced somewhat with their assurances that I’d be processed on that day guaranteed, come hell or high water. I then waited again and was eventually sent back the same cheerful employee who then brought in a consular official. She gave me a short interview, called my local references and then made me swear to the effect that all information I gave was true. I then handed them sufficient stamps to send my passport to me by registered mail, which they happily agreed to do, and I was done. Overall, not too bad.