Time to go home

Well, I’ve done my time, paid my dues and learnt a lot by living in Taiwan and now I must say that it is time to head back down under and resume (or start) a career.

So from that, what do people do for work when they finally go back home? I’m curently entertaining the idea of doing a bit of consultancy work between Australia and Taiwan because of my knowledge of the country, language and culture. This idea is linked to a few other projects that i have in my mind as well but if reality hits me hard, then what other prospects does someone who has lived, worked and survived in Taiwan for a long period of time have?

Thanks

Keep in touch, I might ned a gig when I head back myself.

I know I probably won’t stay in China/Taiwan forever either. Some day I will head back to Australia for longer than a few weeks holiday.

I haven’t really thought much about what I will do when I return but I would be interested to know of others experiences.

I think we should all head to Oz and set up a consultancy advising returning expats on what to do.

From what I’ve observed, you have to be here inTaiwan to make things work. You are selling your ability to communicate with suppliers, your expertise in the local market, your ability to get things done locally. There are a lot of details that just can’t be handled unless you are here.

Once you’ve got he process on autopilot, you can consider moving him with frequent trips back to the island. However, if your business grows, that means you will always be setting up and following up on a myraid of details, and the ideal of having things automated will be difficult to maintain.

Tomas

[quote=“grahamg”]So from that, what do people do for work when they finally go back home?
Thanks[/quote]

You are asking THE question. It is the worry creeping somewhere in our collective amygdala (fear center of the brain). I was at first surprised your question was not flooded with replies, especially with the kind but trembling “Thanks” begging to know what to do in the face of the unknown ending your message. But then on second thought, I can see why few have responded.
My answer is this: Think about your interests and abilities, network and imagine yourself 5 years from now. Write it all down. Now put it into one sentence. Then add it to the Mission section of your resume;. You seem to want to go the entrepreneur route, so you won’t be sending out lots of resumes anyway, but this will help you define your path for yourself. I think I got that from a resume writing guide somewhere, but it works. :slight_smile:

So what you have been doing in Taiwan for (insert time) has been irrelavant to what you consider to be a career?
Have you not gone to university yet? People usually have a vague idea of what they want to do in the future and major in a related subject.
If you are just sowing your wild oats here and want to stop and go back to “normal,” then…
I think to assess your situation, more information would be needed.
:arrow_right: :?:

interesting question by Wolf:

“have you not gone to university yet”?

Well, I’m sure he would know, that i wouldn’t be working here legally if i hadn’t gone to university…anyway, yes i have been to uni numerous times and have now gotten to the stage of having two undergrad degrees (one with a double major in media and computing) and another degree with asian studies majoring in chinese. these were followed by yet another post grad course as well as a masters course. so i think i have been to uni.

it is a well known fact in my country that many people eventually do not end up in a career that is based on their studies. this is about 10 or so years after they completed uni. i am now getting rather close to 40 and still have a strong interest in what i studied though.

the reason i am seeking the entreprenurial route is that i am sick of getting tossed around like a lump of meat by someone else and i am sick of busting my balls for someone else to get rich. time to get off the corporate bus and do it my own way i feel

currently i am working on a project that is related to media and computing and of course taiwan and australia as well as working on a few other little projects as well and liekwise some people have already approached me to help them with a few things as well in terms of trade.

but anyway, yes taiwan is a good place to be as it is a dynamic and well, interesting place to make money. however sooner or later most of us have to leave this place and head back to our fair countries so from that, i am more than curious about what people thnk they will do with themselves when they do finally go back home.

i understand that there are a lot of teachers here so what do these people expect to do back home. i’ve heard of how tough it is for esl tachers to go back home ( and thats for the qualified ones) but what about the make believe teachers - what do they expect to do back home.

althernatively, how many people are seriously considering staying in taiwan until they are old and grey? then what…

sell o-a-mi-suaN?

You know, Pearl milk tea is really popular in Southern California right now. :laughing: But they call it Bo Ba milk tea, or something like that. My wife says it means “big tits” in Taiwanese, but I’m not sure I believe her.

The english teachers I’ve known who came back to the US have

1. gone back to school for an advanced degree
  2. taught ESL at college extension programs
  3. gone to work for preschools
  4. become teachers at elementary shools (these people had degrees in early childhood education)

I started out teaching English in Taiwan but got into editing in about 1994, and am now an editor/writer in the US. I spent my last year in Taiwan finding a job in the US, and nothing panned out until I finally planned a 3-week trip back and let the companies I was interested in know I’d be available for an interview during that time.

You know, Pearl milk tea is really popular in Southern California right now. :laughing: But they call it Bo Ba milk tea, or something like that. My wife says it means “big tits” in Taiwanese, but I’m not sure I believe her.

[/quote]

I believe “nice rack” is the preferred translation for bo ba. :smiley:

For what it’s worth graham, I’m doing number one when I get back (going for an advanced degree). I’ll never go back to doing business full-time. Large American corporations are…shit, just watch the news, or work for one for six months, and you’ll know what bastions of bootlicking and idiocy most of them have become. Small companies are much more fun to work for, but are usually not very stable.

Me, I’m headed for the golden halls of academia. Of course, I’ll have to shine some boots there too, I’m sure, but I’m hoping that the percentage of idiots is lower and tempered by at least the outward pursuit of knowledge.

T.