Time vs Money - What's more precious to you right now?

If I had to guess, alcohol and TV.

3 Likes

Good point.
Actually I don’t want to ‘retire’ retire at all. I want to run my own show. That could be something like a small resort, enterprise making some food/drink related products, some other world changing idea . Just doing something that I am really engaged in, could enjoy my time more, not have to answer to the ‘man’ so much or could make a bigger difference in the world. I already see lots of my local family but freedom to travel more ,or locate where I actually prefer would be awesome.

Part of the motivation is that I want to actually build something , and that takes years. So the earlier I get started the better. I can’t really do it properly when I’m working here and also based here.

10 Likes

Maybe in certain places but that’s not the necessarily the case elsewhere.

Right now, I have to choose money. Of course, I’d very much like to be in a position where money is less important than time for me - but at the moment, I am simply not there yet. Probably quite far, to be honest, actually…

1 Like

Damn right. My body can’t handle the lack of sleep and stress like it used to. That’s reality.

3 Likes

Cuter, quieter, cleaner and less annoying–I picked animals over the kids :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pro tip: Posting less in online forums can increase the first and reduce the second…

:nerd_face:

4 Likes

Rabbits are cute and quiet, but they’re literally crap factories…

Not quiet either to be honest, mine’s a noisy little shit in the mornings.

But their crap doesn’t smell at least. It’s just hard little pellets I can scoop up in a dustpan.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s that. My birds are the same. They crap like machine gun fire, but it’s completely odorless.

Derailing slightly… personal growth is the most important thing to me as I move into middle age. The thought that I haven’t mentally matured is most heavily on my mind. Every day has been a kind of ground hog day since about the age of seven. Continually approaching every situation with the same mind set is what I’m actively working to break free from.

Get out of your trench, brother! There was no war. :heart:

5 Likes

Start today. In fact, talking about it to others is a start. The only thing holding you back is…. YOU!

Open that business. Go make some mistakes. Learn some positives. Get out there and start satisfying that need.

Before that you could also… Make a vision board. Go talk to someone who runs a food cart. Watch shows about making and selling produce. Stick a rocket up your backside and light it up!

I’m excited to read about your goals!

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. You have to just jump in and do it. You might be one of those instant-success people who can just get everything right first time (I’ve met a few of them and they are intensely annoying…) but most of us need several years to screw up and learn from our mistakes. By the time you hit retirement age you’ll actually be competent enough to do what you want to do.

3 Likes

They say it takes 10,000 hours to become really good. You are running out of hours…!

2 Likes

Time earns money and money buys time. Trying to retire by 35 and I need money for that, then I will have lots of time to worry about having nothing to do.

1 Like

Retire from what? In my opinion, retirement is an illusion. For a reminder, watch The Running Man (1987 Arnie film).

I have friends my age, mid to late 40’s gearing up to ‘retire.’ They are actually gearing themselves up for death. “I’m too old to (insert ANYTHING. I hate (insert ANYTHING). I want to sit down and watch TV.”

We are apex predators/ keystone species, the pinnacle of current evolution, literally masters of the universe. I’m never retiring!

2 Likes

Retirement for me means I no longer rely on someone for subsistence. Right now I need a job to pay the bills. After retirement job may need me but I won’t need them and can leave at the drop of a hat. For example should I suddenly decide to go on a trip around the world (several months) I just quit on the spot and don’t worry about money after I come back.

3 Likes

Thank you for replying. I wish you success in your goals. :hugs:

1 Like

I have to watch the Running Man again to understand this point.

I want to have a small resort /farm B&B with landscaped garden and pool and workshop area somewhere warm .That could be a nice base for us .

I also have a plan related to Food/Drink product but that is somewhat difficult to do from here due to the market and specific opportunity I want to target I have started into the understanding and mechanics of it from last year. Suffice to say I think I know how to judge the quality , and how to package , and have a good idea of the branding and positioning in my mind. But not started a business yet.

I have a friend who did something similar since last year in the middle East , launched the business but has struggled to make it work due to the market there . My friend told me that she would rather have a business that didn’t have a stock to worry about and to be able to be more mobile. So it just goes to show starting a business doesn’t mean you aren’t restricted still.

If I started now I’m afraid to be left with stock that won’t sell. But it’s true I probably should get started now to work out the supply and shipping and importation issues for the future. I’m a believer that you should be in the market that you want to sell into, especially if you want it to be perceived as a local business and brand , not foreign brand. It should be set up there and you need to be active there.

1 Like

The running man is about chasing the illusion of freedom. Freedom exists in the mind. There is nothing to chase.

Get on that horse and ride it, Brian Jones!

1 Like