Tinnitus: Any treatment contacts?

Sometimes I can identify a possible trigger, but not this time. The previous night’s sleep hadn’t been great, but not terrible. No alcohol yesterday; OK but not great nutrition; normal amount of exercise; normal amount of background stress.

Anyway, later today I’ll look for the ginkgo tablets in the photo above. Worth a shot. The ringing is still pretty bad.

EDIT: Some students are definitely interested in astrology. I’ve always got mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it’s great when they’ve got a passion or interest - it can be so hard to find a topic for which they show much enthusiasm or background knowledge. On the other hand, astrology?!

1 Like

So astrology, not astronomy. Age? University students? If so, what major?

University, mostly but not all English majors.

I was just diagnosed with sudden hearing loss (SSNHL) as well. Felt like my right ear lost all hearing and my balance suffered a lot, too.
I’m on day 4/5 and have been taking prednisone and doing oxygen treatment. I’m seeing a little bit of improvement but this has definitely been a hard experience. Doctor said only 1/3 can recover but I’m wishing for the best.

4 Likes

Stay positive.
This happened to me last year, got tinnitus and vertigo suddenly. Nausea from the vertigo was bad and I understand how depressing it can be. The vertigo was definitely the worst bit by far.

The doc gave me a battery of tests, diagnosed me with sudden hearing loss in my left ear and gave me the same treatment and I gradually recovered my hearing in the ear and the tinnitus went away. Got about 80% to 90% of it back within a month and it has stayed mostly stable since, good enough result for me. When they stay 1/3 recover what they probably mean is recover 100% of the hearing in that ear. It is probably that the recovery of hearing is a natural process that would occur without meds anyway , but just to be sure take the meds!

They seem to think it’s related to viral infections. It could also be blood pressure related, so she gave me some tabs for that aswell. And once I had a very salty meal and the next morning I had a vertigo relapse, so it could be blood pressure related for me. I try to get enough sleep and lay off coffee and beer if I start hearing tinnitus again. I take it as my body’s warning system to sort myself out.

Anyway, don’t freak out just yet.

2 Likes

Scary stuff. My ears have been bad these last days, they feel like stuck and “hard”, difficult to describe, plus a bit or more than a bit painful. Had a headache two days ago and might be related to the ears too.

Has anyone else experienced momentary hearing loss, as in your hearing drops to a 20-30% for 5 to 10 seconds?

If any of you ride a scooter, I suggest ear plugs.
That is what I did after I got it more so in my right ear - engine side.

I get this occasionally. And sometimes the opposite. Extra loud tinnitus for a short burst.

Yeah, I get that too.

So these days the tinnitus came back and I think I know why: I have had more anxiety, which made my jaw tense, which probably put strain on some nerves related to the ears…?

1 Like

Have you been sleeping ok? How many hours sleep are you getting a night ?

Not as many hours as I’d like… or need xD

Quality of sleep is important. For me cutting back on caffeine and alcohol was key.

2 Likes

Sleep is a giant factor for me. Quitting drinking, sadly, didn’t make a difference, or at least it hadn’t after six weeks, nor did I notice any worsening once I resumed occasional drinks.

Every few months I get in an awful cycle where tinnitus wakes me up, and then I get a bad night’s sleep, and then I’m sleep-deprived so the tinnitus gets worse, and then I don’t get enough sleep the next night … ugh. (That hasn’t happened in a while now. I regret remembering it and planting that seed in my brain.)

I haven’t tried cutting caffeine entirely since tinnitus became an issue for me, but if I have more than a couple cups of coffee, the tinnitus definitely gets worse.

Overly intense exercise will also worsen it, but usually only for 10-15 minutes. But that needs to be pretty intense, and only if I ignore the “SLOW DOWN!!!” alerts that my heart and lungs have already started to give me.

Sounds like menieres disease. Like you said, lowering sodium, alcohol, caffeine, and regulating sleep may help.

It also affects hearing in your ear, usually one side.

1 Like

My experience is that it doesn’t heal or goes away, it can stay dormant for a year or more and than returns, ending mostly in bout of extreme vertigo, sweating, nausea to slowly return hearing to normal. Stress is a huge factor I believe. The same goes for sleep paralysis, it comes and goes with stress.

3% of people are affected in some way by Meniere’s.

2 Likes

It could be related to blood pressure /hypertension is obvioisly related to stress. So less salt is also important in the diet. Once had a very salty meal and next morning vertigo and tinnitus. My left ear had a bad bout originally, psosibly an infection, or Meniere’s, never recovered completely the full range of hearing. but the vertigo is the worst bit when you get an attack, agreed.

1 Like

If truly menieres, the one “relief” about it is most people say vertigo subsides after about 10 years of first episode. Hearing loss and other side effects not so much.

Funny, except for the vertigo, the other symptoms are the ones I’ve experienced and tried to describe to other people including doctors:

• Regular dizzy spells. You have a spinning feeling that starts and stops suddenly. Vertigo may start without warning. It usually lasts 20 minutes to 12 hours, but not more than 24 hours. Serious vertigo can cause nausea.
  • Hearing loss. Hearing loss in Meniere’s disease may come and go, especially early on. Over time, hearing loss can be long-lasting and not get better.
  • Ringing in the ear. Ringing in the ear is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is the term for when you have a ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing sound in your ear.
  • Feeling of fullness in the ear. People with Meniere’s disease often feel pressure in the ear. This is called aural fullness.

However I have had some dizziness recently, but not exactly at the same time as the tinnitus and the other symptoms, or I didn’t perceived these things related to each other. And the dizziness haven’t been as long as it seems to occur with this disease.

1 Like

Go to the ENT doc in a big hospital, they have very good tests they can do, get checked out, check your blood pressure aswell.

1 Like

Not the best time to go to the doctor, also since I have reduced the stress on my ears (motorcycle, concerts, earphones, loud bus rides, etc), my ears are better, but still sensitive.