Tipping in Taiwan? Who would you tip here?

[quote]I have never been able to convince my husband that we should give our landlords or the guards a red envelope at CNY. We’ve been here four years, and lived in three apartments.
Now we’ve got four full time guards that rotate, 3 ladies that clean up the common area and do a fantastic job, plus the landlord. [/quote]
Yeah, but you forgot to mention how much you pay a month on top of your rent for that ‘security fee.’ You are already paying these people, or do you think they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart?
Don’t ever tip here. It simply starts a bad trend. Soon everyone will be sticking out their hands, palms up. :smiling_imp:

Taiwanese doesn’t tip here since it is not popular here…
but I would tip whoever is nice to me, whoever said I am cute, whoever that is a bitch like me…

I tip when I feel like it… most of the time, they would take it too!! So I guess my money is good!!

I don’t tip in Taiwan, unless the hongbao’s to the outlaws count.

that’s tipping!! For thanking them for a wonderful wife !! right?! :wink:

More for keeping off my back and thanking them for keeping the missus off mine, when I moan enough over her, but you got the generel direction right.

What about cow tipping ? Does anyone do that in Taiwan ?

No I think they tip goats and pigs because, in general, Taiwanese have smaller frames than westerners. How many Taiwanese would it take to tip a cow?

My 2cents: We didn’t tip our doormen enough I think because they’re not as helpful on party nights as they used to be. But, yeah, maybe we shouldn’t have tipped them in the first place.

But I have one big question. Is giving a red envelope on New Year, the same as tipping? Maybe not.

I will tip (or rock for that matter) the boat every time I get the chance.

None, because no one wants to get mad cow disease.