Tipping Is Good! ~ Taiwan Up!

Is this what you think (I also do think this) or is this what you know based on several different restaurants in several different tiers of establishments?

Are you talking about voluntary table tips or the automatically added onto your bill tips?

Is this what you think (I also do think this) or is this what you know based on several different restaurants in several different tiers of establishments?

Are you talking about voluntary table tips or the automatically added onto your bill tips?[/quote]

Far as I know a lot of ten pct and what not added to the bill simply gets pocketed by the establishment. IF theres a jar, that tends to get shared with the wait staff, again FAIK.

If you individually give money to a particular wait person, then he/she most likely keeps it.

I have many friends who ran restaurants in Taipei. Who know other friends who ran restaurants in Taipei.

That pretty much matches up with my suspicions. I really want to think that at least some of the 10% at a place like Fridays gets shared with the wait staff but I wouldn’t be surprised if they got stiffed.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]“The Tourism Bureau said it will inform Chinese tourists about the new system via cross-strait communications channels.”

Ha![/quote]
More like :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:, I’d say. There was a little independent diner near my hometown with a tip jar on the bar that said, “Tipping is not a place in China.” Damn right it isn’t.

I am surprised that so many posters tip when they don’t have to. I almost never do that, not only because I’m poor but because tipping is not expected at all. You guys deserve gold stars for making life a little better for those terribly unappreciated souls slaving away for a pittance in the local service industry.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]

[quote=“hannes”]

I also hate to have to pay for using toilets. That’s one thing I enjoy in Taiwan. Free toilet use all the way.[/quote]

I always manage to get home for that and if I ever had to, I’d pay a days salary for the service you get in Germany.
Many toilets have a cleaning guy who cleans them after every use.[/quote]

Not sure what you are talking about. You mean the toilet service in Germany is superior to the one you get here?

I think the toilets in Taipei’s MRT system are remarkably clean and functioning, same goes for a lot of department stores, 7-Elevens, gas stations, even parks. Nowhere are you acquired to pay anything. In Germany there is a usually a cleaning guy or lady sitting at a table near the entrance with a saucer on the table where you are expected to leave some change, or you have to insert coins to be able to open the stall doors. I don’t think payable German toilets are superior to free-use toilets in Taiwan.

Except that those cleaning ayis always come in RIGHT when I’m going to the bathroom. Makes me a bit uncomfortable.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]
I always manage to get home for that and if I ever had to, I’d pay a days salary for the service you get in Germany.
Many toilets have a cleaning guy who cleans them after every use.[/quote]

Almost all toilets in Taiwan have a guy/women who cleans after almost every use. In Germany you even have to pay in department stores! How ridicules is that!?

Just came across this thread - and the update

The proposal drew immediate fire from the public and raised several questions such as whether people were being asked to also leave tips at restaurants and why not.

Many criticized the proposal, saying a 10-percent service charge is already in place at many hotels and restaurants. The headline in a tabloid newspaper said that guests would be “fleeced twice” if they had to pay tips at hotels.

what happened to this guy?

Tipping is a really bad idea. Makes everyone uncomfortable.

3 Likes

And it’s a pain in the arse when on business trips.

1 Like

It’s going to be as in some US States before the minimum wage, getting 2.50 US$ an hour + tips

Forumosan Emiritus Hok went back to the US, IIRC. I never met him, but he really seemed like a good guy.

Guy

I met him a couple of times, and yeah, he was a nice guy.

Taiwan friends saw this jar in a restaurant and were laughing and saying “look all the foreigners tip with their own money but Taiwanese don’t tip”.

I tried to explain this is not a tip, this is kind of a tradition to leave some money from your own country to show what country’s have visited. But they were laughing so hard I gave up.

They should have pasted it on the wall!