Tips for surviving first KTV

Most good English songs are harder to sing than Chinese songs, simply by being much wider in range. Most Taiwanese people don’t sound all that great singing Mandarin songs anyway. Like @Mick said, if you are going to sing, just sing out loud.

People to go KTVs for different reasons. For a business gathering, people usually will go for a bunch of dance songs or high energy, anthem-like rock songs, so that everyone can join in and sing along.

Some people just want to vent and release some pent up energy. In that case they will select a bunch of depressing songs. Some want others to join in, some gets mad when others join in. At that point, singing ability is irrelevant.

Usually when it’s time for a slow depressing songs, that’s when people drink and eat and chat.

Also, people in Taiwan likes to cut a song short. Usually after the chorus has been played at least 2 times, and definitely right after there’s no more singing part left in a video. If you know your song is about to end, or you are pretty much done with the song, you can press the 切歌 (Qiege) button yourself. It’s a sort of courtesy so you save more time for other people’s songs.

2 Likes

If it’s your first night working in a KTV, don’t swallow. Take it from one who learnt the hard way.

I don’t know which KTVs you’re going to, but my experiences have been more females than males.

So, go straight to the song list and select AC/DC: Thunderstruck. Play that first song of the night, sing it loud as fuck, and angry as hell; then no one will let you near the song list again, and you can get back to the serious drinking and passing out early… Job done.

1 Like

Every rock song loses it’s edge when the background music video is images of open grass fields and close up shots of streams.

3 Likes

The reverb or echo on those microphones is awful. They crank it way up to mask the crap singing.

Get a bunch of people to sing with you when they’re all drunk and turn off your mic.

Moved.

May have major consequences in Taiwan, especially if you plan to socialize later with the same people.

But in my experience (in the US, in tech and engineering), it is a very bad idea to lose control in the presence of your boss - even if he or she is completely potted. Thing about drinking with the boss is that you are never really off work. Your boss will always evaluate you. Some are especially keen to evaluate you when you’re drunk and your guard is down. A lot of them are just pricks that way. There is no upside and considerable downside to drinking heavily with your boss.

That said, a lot of times you must drink socially. If you feel pressure to do that, and you think you’ll have a problem with alcohol, then I’d drive or otherwise try to beg off (but don’t be honest about why; make yourself look good). Or, in a pinch, every other round or so I’d pull the watered-down-cola trick - just to be safe.

Best of luck, op. And sing loud!

To be honest this whole thread is scaring me - I didn’t realize the drinking thing was still common here. I’m so glad I haven’t had to worry about this in the university system. I haven’t been drunk in a long long time, because I’m sometimes a very mean-spirited and ill-tempered drunk … it’d be awful to try to deal with a situation where everyone else wants me drunk, and I know it’s in everyone’s best interests if I avoid it.

1 Like

From my KTV experience, there is no judging at any level, whether it’s your singing ability (or lack thereof) or how drunk you get (or not). Just sing some English songs and Taiwanese will think it’s cute. American Pie is a good one. You can usually get a few ppl to sing along.

Some other go-to songs, Anarchy in the UK and California Uber Alles. Keep Smack My Bitch Up as a last resort. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get a mosh pit going in the room. Mondays won’t ever be the same again.

2 Likes

Either pick a song or they will pick one for you and it will probably be some old song from the time warp of the 1960s or 1970s like Lemon Tree or Country Roads and they will expect you to know all the words and sing it.

On the bright side they will possibly know all the words and sing with you so you can hide out.

And tell whoever is picking songs for you to make sure they include the background vocals because it will help you sound better.

If you’re not a drinker, and especially if you said you’re not a drinker, then stick to your values. Better to follow your own rules than to do something different and they think you’re not reliable.

Better to avoid drinking the first time at all costs even if you feel bored or out of place, and you can see what’s happening and how to play it for the second time.

On the other hand, getting drunk with the boss has its merits for sure.

Pro tip, try to occupy the karaoke early, it wont be easy as everyone is trying to get their numbers in. But avoids that moment later on when everybody has sung 2 or 3 songs…and it now your turn.

Many KTV’s dont have many English songs, and a lot of stuff is well old, avoid house of the rising sun, or Danny boy. New York New York is on all of them and you can get real loud, don’t worry if people are laughing and putting their hands over their ears, that’s a sign you are doing it right.

Prepare yourself for the following kinds of KTV people.

1. The person who hogs the song list and turns the night into a one-man show.
  2. The person who is a terrible singer (often, but not always, the boss).
  3. The person who gets wasted after two hours and spends the night puking.
  4. The unexpected superstar.

I have to do it only because it’s one of the few songs I like. He ain’t heavy usually works

Haven’t been to KTV recently but I doubt they updated their “classics” much. Upbeat with a tempo, like “in the sumertime” has a good vibe, rather than some brooding “classic”. Ah, Elton Johns are usually a good choice, IMO.

Never noticed that one, I’d do it.

Ah, Elton Johns are usually a good choice, IMO.

urgh. Well, there’s born to be wild

Haha, important part of KTV here, there are virtually no songs for you to choose from. I think after 3 or 4 more posts we will have listed them all. “Freedom” by George Michael, except you might want to hit the forward button after the first 20 or 30 cries of “freedom”.