Tips needed on Taichung

Hi,

1. being optimistic, I bought my laptop with chinese WinXP and now I’m crying everytime I need to fix a bug. So I want to go for an english version. However, I’d like to purchase the, hum…, “cheap” one. Since I did bought the chinese version, it would not be cheating too much.
    Anyone knows where I can find copies in Taichung. When I ask the locals, I get the “I know but I won’t tell” look.

2. Is there a restaurant / pub / bar open during lunch where it is possible to watch american football games?

Info: that’s not new since they already have 5 issues but there’s a new “compass-like” free magazine written by expats about Taichung’s bar, restaurant, discos… called 24seven. The tone is politically incorrect and I like it. They make fun of foreigners and taiwanese. It is worth having a look if you are not too much of the “sad kind” of people.

Thanks for your answers!

Taurus

Can us townies get a copy of this 24seven magazine in Taipei or is there a website to check out?

There’s no mention of a website in their mag. That’s a small stuff, about twenty pages. Maybe they print it in their garage.
For once the country side has something cool not available in Taipei :wink:

Taurus

I lived in Taichung for my first year here and I maintain it has a load more to offer than Taipei where I’m currently imprisoned.

HG

[quote]Hi,
Anyone knows where I can find copies in Taichung (Taizhong). When I ask the locals, I get the “I know but I won’t tell” look.[/quote]

Walk around outside of Nova. There shady dealers on the sidewalk there.

Good question. Any takers?

I have CD’s for English Windows 98 SE and English Windows ME, and I can lend you these CD’s if you want them. But if you want Windows 2000 or XP, then you’ll have to wait until the next time I go to Malaysia.

All of the pirated software I’ve seen in Taiwan is in Chinese. I’ve never seen English Windows or any other English software in Taiwan. But in Malaysia, they have pirated software in English, Chinese, and Malay (mostly English).

Do the third party thing.
It is a custom in Taiwan of using a third party to avoid accountability. What you need to do is take your computer back to the shop you bought it from and ask them to install Windows in English for you. By doing this you have officially entered the grayer of the gray area of the IPR laws on Taiwan. If there has been any legal wrongdoing it will be between the shop and Bill Gates.
An added benefit is that it will be installed correctly and they know how to tweak it to maximize the software

[quote=“Boomer”]Do the third party thing.
It is a custom in Taiwan of using a third party to avoid accountability. What you need to do is take your computer back to the shop you bought it from and ask them to install Windows in English for you. By doing this you have officially entered the grayer of the gray area of the IPR laws on Taiwan. If there has been any legal wrongdoing it will be between the shop and Bill Gates.
An added benefit is that it will be installed correctly and they know how to tweak it to maximize the software

Actually I was trying to encourage the original poster not to buy counterfeit software. I suppose you could interpret it either way. Hopefully the shop that sold the laptop has permission to install windows. I am not sure but believe computer retailers have the said permission when the parts are purchased through the dealer.
I personally do not believe that criminal prosecution is justified in most cases of IPR violations. In most cases it is a financial decision made by a business to increase profits. Businesses will only stop doing this when it becomes unprofitable.
The current policy of the R.O.C. is taking will not work. The people of Taiwan do not feel obligated to follow the law. Making the people of Taiwan criminals for copying disks and movies is ridiculous when one considers the amount of crime that is sanctioned by the local government authorities. This current policy needs a serious rethink because it is not working.

Oh, I dunno, W2G. IMHO the line between software piracy and appropriate use is thin, but it’s not razor thin or mathematically thin. There’s SOME gray there.

Taurus bought and paid for a copy of WinXP. It’s in Chinese, he wants it in English (why not French??). IMHO it’s Microsoft’s own stupidity that makes it practically impossible to switch between languages. I’m not the sort who advocates piracy, but if all the guy is doing is trying to switch his laptop to English, I don’t see why he should have to pay for XP twice, especially since he’s just replacing his Chinese version with an English version.

Now, if Taurus’s Chinese version was a “cheap” (pirated) edition, then he oughta buy a real English copy. But that doesn’t appear to be the case, judging from what he wrote.

Since Microsoft refuses to follow its own officially-stated policy on refunds, he can just buy a license from someone who’s installed Linux over their English XP (which Microsoft refuses to issue refunds for, despite their “official” EULA). :stuck_out_tongue: