To all the native speaking asians out there

i’m trying to find a teaching gig out here in taipei. i’m a chinese american male, born and raised in the states, and i must say that i am starting to suspect that my race DOES have an affect on my chances of landing a job here in taipei. i used to walk into scheduled interviews and it seemed potential employers would tend to “humor me” and string me along through it. it has gotten to the point where i must “warn” potential schools when i set up an interview that i happen to be asian, so as to not waste my own time.

today in particular, i called 4 schools inquiring about their open job listings. i had an interview/demo scheduled for all of them, only to conclude the conversations with something along the lines of, “by the way, i’m ABC does that matter?” and having them politely saying they won’t hire me. so i guess it turns out that it does matter. i even had one tell me that they only hire “foreigners”, like i wasn’t a foreigner. i can’t even read a menu if it is written in chinese.

am i the only one that is experiencing this? am i crazy paranoid? i have met a few english teachers that are asian, so i know that they’re out there. i’m just wondering what their experiences/opinions are. or if anyone has an opinion on this. i mean, cmon, i have a degree in english literature. i minored in journalism!! i’m 26 years old, i’m not ugly, i’ve got “people skills”, i should be able to find a job teaching english in taipei!!!

From what I’ve heard it’s difficult for everyone to find teaching work in the present economy, but it will no doubt be harder for you. From speaking to others in your position it seems that the best bet is to apply to the big chain schools because their recruitment is handled centrally through head office. Other posters may have other opinions about this.

It might be an idea to edit your post. The natives don’t take prisoners round here, especially late at night after the pubs close.

I’m going to try my best to stay positive here. It’s a hard thing to be in this kind of situation.

Just a little background: I’m an American female born and raised in NYC. My parents are both Taiwanese: one resides in Kaohsiung, the other at home. I didn’t used to do this, but I now identify as an American and simply that, regardless of my appearance.

I definitely think your suspicions have some validity, but I wouldn’t let it pull you down. I would also suggest that you don’t bring it up to potential schools and employers like it’s a “problem.” Just very confidently go to your interviews and demos like you’re any other candidate, but with greater qualities and abilities to offer. You shouldn’t need to give any warnings or a heads up. Just do it. And frankly, if someone’s going to be racist in his decision-making, would you really want to work for him anyway? :ponder:

Don’t think of it too much. You will either get lucky and find a job, or you may get turned down. No big deal. Everyone else at home is doing the same thing. And it’s still probably easier for you to get a job here.

TLI doesn’t discriminate based on race.

Yes, there are many schools that have a policy of not hiring American-born Taiwanese. They think it’s bad for marketing. The only thing worse, to them, would be hiring a person with dark skin.

If you can speak Chinese fluently and have a background in test preparation, there may be some opportunities for you in test preparation, which are taught largely in Mandarin.

If you went to a well-known school, you should advertise that everywhere you go.

Keep hitting the streets. Something will turn up. Even people with dark skin find jobs here, despite all of the racism.

Try not to get discouraged. It’s currently the toughest market of the last two decades BY FAR.

Don’t forget to captalize words when applying for jobs. In a tough market, even small errors might disqualify you.

Good luck!

Keep trying, buddy. It isn’t just your ethnic background. It’s hard for us whities, too. Last year a Canadian and myself both resigned from Happy Marian in Shulin within about four months of each other and we were both replaced by ABC’s. So ABC’s are being hired. Given the worldwide economy, there is such a flood of foreigners (of all ethnic backgrounds) out there now that everyone is having difficulty finding jobs. They’re looking for the cream of the crop. I have been here five years, went to law school, and have worked with attorneys and a judge (among others) in Taiwan, and I am having trouble even getting a grade school teaching position. :cry: It’s not just you and you’re not crazy.

yeah the job market is pretty dry right now, that is true. thanks for all the advice/opinion. i’m still looking for a job, but i was just a bit surprised that the problem even exists at all.

Doesn’t Hess hire ABCs? You tried them yet?

Yes, I remember ‘yes’ schools ages ago. Wouldn’t hire me because I was a Brit. F**k em, I thought. Six months later, the boss takes off with all the money from the safe. Staff went unpaid, the schools closed down sometime afterwards.

I counted my lucky stars that day I wasn’t hired. I would have gotten the job for sure, but for the nationality. Oh, and I’m a whitey… so it wasn’t the looks. Don’t hire someone because they can’t teach. For sure. And if the school doesn’t like ‘different teachers’., you’re surely better off without them. Trust me.

Our school did hire a few years ago an ABC who did speak reasonably good Chinese, and the kids loved him. He didn’t stay long though, and decided he didn’t want to be a teacher after all. More’s the pity.

There are a lot of weirdos around the island who won’t hire people because of looks, accent, nationality, whatever… It’s stupid. But then if they are making these bad decisions, you wonder what other dumb decisions they are making, too. Oh we pay you by the hour, but you only taught for 50 minutes, so… you need to be here all morning but your class is from 9:30~10:20, btw, that’s one hour pay, … I’m sure the list would be pretty long… We start by teaching Phonetics… Our grammar classes are all in Chinese… etc

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Yes, I remember ‘yes’ schools ages ago. Wouldn’t hire me because I was a Brit. F**k em, I thought. Six months later, the boss takes off with all the money from the safe. Staff went unpaid, the schools closed down sometime afterwards.
[/quote]

Really, didn’t know that. guy named “Brad” the boss? ticket system?

Sorry, TG.

I can’t tell you much else, but the name ‘brad’ rings a bell. Didn’t ever get as far as understanding how they ran their business

Kenneth