To Asian teachers teaching English in Taiwan

Damn ! If only I’d thought of that 10 years ago !

Henrietta

my goodness! i had NO idea i was so far down on the desired teacher’s food chain (white male american)

still, i can’t remember the last time i was turned down for a job…anywhere in Taiwan…from kindy to college/university or even multimedia companies…

oh wait, silly me, i have a masters degree in TESOL! maybe if new “teachers” abc/cbc or native speakering whities or blackies were actually teachers they’d have better luck

but this is just as much a criticism of the mainstream elementary age kid bushibans (it does seem to be the focus of this thread) who prefer ANY white native speakers with BAs in nose picking and belly button examining(when it comes to education) to chinese speakers who have ESL/TESOL master degrees from US/UK unis and are teaching row row row your boat to 3-5 year olds between bottom wipings…

the world is unfair, given that, it must be unfair in someone’s favor…

A degree in Child Psychology may be more important for teaching kindergarten. You have a qualification - don’t you feel more recognition should be given to this ? Is it too much to ask that new teachers have some sort of qualification ? It would of course be unfair to impose this on current teachers, but would a requirement for at least CELTA raise the standing of the profession as a whole - ultimately leading to higher paid more secure employment ? Or not ? Would there really be a shortage of English teachers if a qualification requirement was imposed upon new entrants ?

quote:
Originally posted by Jason: To all the Asian-English teachers here: Hello. I just want to know how you guys or girls got your teaching jobs in Taiwan. I'm Chinese and I'm planning to teach in Taiwan.

Kojen, Gobal Village, David’s English, and other large schools hire Asian. Alternatively, you can do one-on-one tutoring (post ad on http://www.tealit.com ).

quote:
Some Taiwanese adults prefer a tutor who speaks Mandarin (which doesn't help you). Think of "value added service" that you can provide that other tutors won't (business, IT, legal background, etc). Some adults may want to improve their English in a narrow field. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me now cause I'm not looking for work in Taiwan anymore. It'll be too hard for me to get a job in Taiwan, not only because of the discrimination, but also because of the Taiwanese government. They have made it very difficult for me with their visa regulations. Now, I'm heading off to Hong Kong instead.

I don’t Hong Kong has much of demand for English teachers compare to TW, KR, JP, CN, etc.

p.s. getting my HK work visa wasn’t easy either.

I’m closing this thread. The question was originally asked over 2 months ago and has been addressed. If you’ve got more to say on this topic (and I’m sure you do!), just start a new thread. You can always refer back to this thread if you wish to address something specifically.