To Bangkok for Student Visa - Help and advice please

I need advice on
where the TECO (visa) office in Bangkok is,

what’s the best way to get there,

if it can be done in one day,

what I need (will probably get this from my school next week, but any advice will help)

and what the best (cheap not nasty) place is to stay if I need to wait a day

Any other advice will be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks all

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=35429 I hope this helps.

Soi Rambuttri has nice cheap guesthouses. What’s your definition of cheap? You will be falling over places to stay. How close to TECO do you want to stay? A travel visa can be done a day. I have no idea about a student visa though.

I need advice on
where the TECO (visa) office in Bangkok is,

what’s the best way to get there,

if it can be done in one day,

what I need (will probably get this from my school next week, but any advice will help)

and what the best (cheap not nasty) place is to stay if I need to wait a day

Any other advice will be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks all

I posted some info on your other thread. See that brown button on the top of the page, where it says Search, it serves a function and you should find a tonne of info using Bangkok and/or Visa plus and/or student and/or accomodation.

Obviously not all of it will be up to date but most should be helpful.

thanks so far m. man. anyone else?

thanks matchstick, i know that button, clicked it, used it, tried it, thanks…

found some stuff but most are old and outdated , that is why i am asking again.

thanks

Sleepoverbandit,

Contact the Thailand TECO office at:
Phone: (+66-2)670-0228
E-mail: tecoinfo@ji-net.com

That’s the best way to get what you need. Your school must provide you with all the documents, otherwise it would be a waste to go unless you’re also looking to vacation in Thailand.

GL,

There is no student visa per se.

You will need to apply for a multiple entry 60 day visitor visa. That can be extended 2 times. Once you have studied 4 months, then u can apply for your resident visa.

Make sure you bring your letter of acceptance from school (this information will be added to your VISA) and you’ll also need a bank statement from your country proving you are economically self-sufficient to study here (they operate under premise anyway that you cannot work in Taiwan while studying).

Good luck.

hey bruin,

what do you mean one can apply for a resident visa once you have studied for 4 months? I have been studying for 4 months and my visa has been extended for the max. period of 6 months, so that is why I am flying out, but I was not aware that one can apply for a resident visa when you are studying.

If you have been studying for 4 consecutive months at recognized university, there should be no need to leave Taiwan to get a resident visa…in fact, i don’t even think that’s possible (though i certainly could be wrong)

Your school should supply you with all the documents you need to take to the Taipei office to have your visa changed from visitor one to resident one. From there, u will go to your local police station to get your ARC.

Doublecheck with your school, man. Maybe i’m missing something in your post, but it seems u’re making a trip to Thailand for nothing UNLESS you blew it and didn’t get the paperwork done in time before your visitor visa expired. In that case, I think u’ll need to apply for new visitor visa first and then go thru the process outlined above.

Ok…yeah. Reread your post. :blush:

Yeah, u’ll need to apply for a new visitor visa abroad first. That should be no problem. Just ensure you have all the required documents on hand outlined above first, the bank statement being particularly key.
Otherwise, you will be looking at a big headache to get a new one.

Good luck.

thanks bruin!

matchstick and others, any more ideas on where to stay. Someone recommended a place for about 700NT inc. breakfast. That sounds cheapish. I just need a clean, safe place to sleep. It does not need to be right next to the TECO but I guess with Bangkok traffic it should not be too far either.

thanks so far…

On the bank statement the “standard” amount to show would be at least NTD60,000 to show self-sufficiency in Taiwan for this purpose (study).

Consider doing a youth hostel search in Bangkok.

700NT is way above average youth hostel/guesthouse price. The average price is around 200NT. You should be able to get a nice hotel for 700NT. If you can, go to a bookstore here in Taiwan that stocks English books and browse the Lonely Planet. You should be able to get a good idea of what’s available accomodation-wise and would suit your budget from that.

To avoid the traffic all you really need to do is find a place close to a sky train terminal. I’ve been told there a few nice hotels within that price range by the National Stadium skytrain stop. However I can’t back that up with personal experience or observation.

If it is your first time in Thailand, when you get to the airport please don’t go to the first place a taxi driver or someone else that is over-eager suggests as they will be taking a commission.

if you are a little unsure about where you want to stay, here is a place that is more than 700NT but it is safe, clean and right beside a skytrain station.

asiahotel.co.th/bangkok.htm

the cheapest rate is 917NT, but as I have stayed there 3 times now I recommend it as a clean, safe, centrally located no bullshit place to stay. The buffet breakfast is outstanding(included in the price), and the huge MBK shopping mall and others is 3 mins walk.

Thanks again,

truant, the asia hotel is cheaper than most and a hotel would be nicer and safer than a hostel I guess. I’ll check it out. thanks

Any other suggestions in that price range or lower anybody?

[quote=“sleepoverbandit”]Thanks again,

truant, the Asia hotel is cheaper than most and a hotel would be nicer and safer than a hostel I guess. I’ll check it out. thanks

Any other suggestions in that price range or lower anybody?[/quote]

the other good thing about that place is you can book online, and when you get to the airport you can tell the taxi driver where you are going. Some of the hostels don’t take bookings and if you are not assertive to the taxi driver where you want to go he might try and sell you a place he gets commission on. I don’t know how the Asia hotel does it, the rooms I have stayed in are at least 3 star, maybe 4.
If it’s just one or two days, you can be doing MUCH better things in Bangkok other than spending a couple of hours hunting for a place to stay to save a couple of hundred NT.

thanks again,

anybody else with any suggestions or advice?

mclean, i mailed the visa/teco office on that address last week and have had no response yet.

[quote=“sleepoverbandit”]thanks again,

anybody else with any suggestions or advice?

mclean, i mailed the visa/teco office on that address last week and have had no response yet.[/quote]
You’re dealing with bureaucracy. A phone call is always more efficient than a letter or an email. This is probably going to sound bad but Thailand isn’t known for efficiency in offices as often office workers put sanook(fun) ahead of it. There are many other reasons a phone call is much better. It’s fairly easy to ignore a letter and delete/ignore an email. Is the cost and/or time zone a problem?

The cost of calling Thailand and the Philippines from Taiwan does seem ridiculously high especially when you compare geographical locations and prices of calls to North America.

sleepoverbandit,

Call them instead. When dealing with bureaucrats all over the world, a phone call, while expensive, will get you the information faster than email.