To be or not to be a Geek

[color=#FF0000]I split this from the iPad thead and left it in the Tech forum because a good disscussion is going on here.[/color]

Quite possibly. However, there are probably FAR more consumers like me rather than like you – who absolutely don’t give flying fart about all that tech stuff – damn, you and Jashu are basically speaking a foreign language, to me! I have utterly NO idea what you guys are talking about half the time. None. Yet I sit in front of a computer all day every day and use it with no trouble at all.
This new toy is small and thin, its Apple, I can read email, surf the web, do word processing and read books. Sounds great!
While I’m quite sure Apple would like to make stuff for the true techheads to drool over and rhapsodise about, its the knuckle-dragging brand-hounds like me they’re making their money off, so its people like me they’re trying to attract.
Except I don’t have the habit of carrying a computer around, so they’re wasting their time.

people like you are why we can’t have nice things.

[quote=“sandman”] its the knuckle-dragging brand-hounds like me they’re making their money off, so its people like me they’re trying to attract.
.[/quote]

how would you describe your open-mindness towards anything which is media related ?
Though I remember you writing about purchasing a phone but not needing anything than being able to call , questionning BlueRay’s proven reputation and now reflecting that Apple should not aim at the profile you give yourself :laughing:

I thought that people whom got attracted to new stuff are more likely to look at innovation and therefore are trendsetters,worst case early adapters.
I wonder how this fits with ya profile scotsmen :laughing:

Enough dragged about ya funny post. Which topic was this again?

[quote=“djlowballer”]Fool proof guide to making a network run fast xp:

1. Turn off windows themes
  2. Install Firefox
  3. Install the following add-ons: no script, ad block
  4. Install a disk manager that defrags in background
  5. Create an account for daily use that is not an administrator

With this I have a netbook that is snappy, gets 10h battery life, and only gets bogged down if I try to seriously game. I don’t even run an anti-virus program. This takes under 30 minutes ONCE in the lifetime of the computer. I have not had to tinker under the hood for over a year.

Fool proof guide to making a network run fast linux:

1. install ubuntu with a low footprint window manager. I use the same one on my netbook as I do on my ps3.
  2. don’t run in root
  3. do not use sudo commands if you don’t know what is getting installed

The reason why OS X “just works” and “doesn’t have viruses” is not some magical apple technology. They run a modified version of FreeBSD and do not let you unlock root. You know when you install certain programs and your computers says “input your password”? It is a mask for a “sudo” shell command. For the vista/7 crowd it is like when a program asks for elevated permissions. If we took a time machine and gave you a custom *nix distro that had wizards for everything you would probably enjoy it as much as OSX.[/quote]

Like Sandman and many others, I “don’t know what I’m doing” and have little idea about and zero interest in fiddling around under the hood of my computer. The above, to me, is less intelligible than most of the Chinese I see each day. While I’m not planning on getting an iPad, I can see the appeal and how it would be a useful and enjoyable thing to have.

I find it amazing in this day and age that people do not “know what they are doing” with regards to computers. It isn’t rocket science. I spent maybe 4 hours when I was 14 years old and learned the basic skills that have lasted me the rest of my life.

I guess I am glad though that people are apparently illiterate and extremely lazy. During college I was able charge 100$US to “setup a router”, 50$ for “virus removal” or my personal favorite, 200$ for performing the steps I listed above. Sad really considering there are wizards and easy setups for almost everything.

Wow, you can read me like a book. Must be all of that literacy.

You don’t have to be a techie to use computers. Hell, I majored in German.

Last week at work I was tasked with putting 5,000 lines of data into an Excel spreadsheet for a customer. In the past, our technical writer has spent 20-30 hours on similar chores because of the manual reformatting required.

Instead of wasting my weekend, I did a little research into something called “regular expressions” and found a way to do the job in 30 minutes.

If you want to waste tons of precious time on manual labor and pay 200-300 dollars for simple maintenance that Google could teach you in an hour, go right ahead. We’re more than happy to take your money.

Wow, you can read me like a book. Must be all of that literacy.[/quote]

Yeah man, 100 books per year has kept my reading skills top notch.

I find amazing in this day and age that people do not “know how to play the saxophone.” I also cannot believe that people are so goddamned stupid and lazy that they can’t even rebore their car engines without help! It isn’t rocket science.

Illiterate and extremely lazy? Piss off! I have a mechanic to fix my car, a cleaning lady to clean my house, a computer geek to take care of my home computer and an IT department full of geeks to take care of my office computer.
That doesn’t make me “illiterate and lazy,” it makes me cost-effective. My company pays me FAR more than it pays its geeks, so why on earth would it want me to waste my time with the manual labour? :unamused: That kind of stuff is for the little people in the background. The ones with no dress sense and wrinkly shirts. I have more important stuff to do.

Completely agree. You can find tutorials and even youtube movies with step by step instructions for almost anything that you want to do with a computer. It’s just not as difficult as people think.

My company pays me FAR more than it pays its geeks, so why on earth would it want me to waste my time with the manual labour? :unamused: That kind of stuff is for the little people in the background. The ones with no dress sense and wrinkly shirts. I have more important stuff to do.[/quote]

The 100k NT per month you were bragging about on another forum translates to about 35,000 a year in USD. The “geeks” in my office make anywhere from 80k to well into the six figures. Doesn’t that make you one of the little people in the background?

Guess it’s time to learn to use computers, eh slugger :slight_smile:

Excellent news! That’s going to mean a further cost saving on the geeks, and a bigger bone-us pool for me!

HG

Completely agree. You can find tutorials and even youtube movies with step by step instructions for almost anything that you want to do with a computer. It’s just not as difficult as people think.[/quote]
But why would anybody want to do so? What a crashing BORE! There are people to do that kind of stuff for you. Its not really a question of difficulty. Its a question of spending time doing something you think is crap when there’s no need to and you’d far rather be doing something else. Do YOU go on You Tube when your washing machine goes on the blink or do you get the washing machine guy in?
Its a win-win situation – someone with no interest in computers has a broken one. He pays money to someone interested in fiddling with home appliances. The interested guy gets a bit of cash and the other guy gets his fixed appliance back. Everybody’s happy.

[quote=“ceevee369”]rumor 1 (engadget) that latest SDK on OS 4.0 shows possibilties of multitasking yes?

rumore 2 (can’t remember but google) that there might be light at the horizon with a possible upcoming flash support in OS 4.0 ?

if both are true, I certainly will consider buying a 3G 64 Gb version[/quote]
I see #1 happening, but I don’t see #2 ever happening. If anything, it seems that the web is reorganizing itself to accommodate the iPad, with many media sites coming up with iPad ready Flashless versions.

My company pays me FAR more than it pays its geeks, so why on earth would it want me to waste my time with the manual labour? :unamused: That kind of stuff is for the little people in the background. The ones with no dress sense and wrinkly shirts. I have more important stuff to do.[/quote]

The 100k NT per month you were bragging about on another forum translates to about 35,000 a year in USD. The “geeks” in my office make anywhere from 80k to well into the six figures. Doesn’t that make you one of the little people in the background?

Guess it’s time to learn to use computers, eh slugger :slight_smile:[/quote]
Don’t be an arse. I use computers for most of practically every day. The geeks in my office earn around NT$30k and the section chief gets NT$45k and yeah, they ALL have bad hair and clothes. And who the fuck was “bragging?” :unamused: Since when was a measly 100k worth bragging about? Impudent wee git.
I really DO NOT get this weird attitude of “I know about computers so anyone who doesn’t must be stupid and lazy.” Its the oddest thing.
I mean, of course anyone who’s never bothered to even learn to play the horn is a total moron as well as being basically a lazy shite. That much is obvious. But honestly! COMPUTERS! Can there even BE anything more boring? Maybe train-spotting. Or stamp collecting. :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”]
But why would anybody want to do so? What a crashing BORE! There are people to do that kind of stuff for you. Its not really a question of difficulty. Its a question of spending time doing something you think is crap when there’s no need to and you’d far rather be doing something else. Do YOU go on You Tube when your washing machine goes on the blink or do you get the washing machine guy in?
Its a win-win situation – someone with no interest in computers has a broken one. He pays money to someone interested in fiddling with home appliances. The interested guy gets a bit of cash and the other guy gets his fixed appliance back. Everybody’s happy.[/quote]

I’d probably have a go at fixing the washing machine myself, make a mess of it, then call the repair guy in. :slight_smile:
However, with computers its usually a question of spending only 5-10 minutes learning how to do something, and then being able to do it for yourself next time and every time after. I don’t like asking people to to something for me that is obviously very simple.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure that you are on the wind-up again, so I’ll leave you with this comment:

FIX IT YERSELF, YA LAZY F@%@ER!! :slight_smile:

[quote]Don’t be an arse. I use computers for most of practically every day. The geeks in my office earn around NT$30k and the section chief gets NT$45k and yeah, they ALL have bad hair and clothes. And who the fuck was “bragging?” :unamused: Since when was a measly 100k worth bragging about? Impudent wee git.
I really DO NOT get this weird attitude of “I know about computers so anyone who doesn’t must be stupid and lazy.” Its the oddest thing.
I mean, of course anyone who’s never bothered to even learn to play the horn is a total moron as well as being basically a lazy shite. That much is obvious. But honestly! COMPUTERS! Can there even BE anything more boring? Maybe train-spotting. Or stamp collecting. :laughing:[/quote]

1. Computers are awesome.

2. You earn slightly more than a Taiwanese support technician? Wow!

3. You announced that you earn “vastly more” than geeks, compared them to your cleaning lady, and further referred to them as “the little people in the background.” Naturally I assumed you had the fat stacks to backup all that bragging. Where are they, Sandman? Where are the fat stacks?

I am a big Apple fan, but I’d have to agree with Sandman, that it is not because someone doesn’t know how to use a computer that he or she has to be labelled lazy or what-not.
I’d pay someone to change my car tires, just coz I can’t be bothered. So, have a laugh at me. :smiley:

[quote=“igorveni”]I am a big Apple fan, but I’d have to agree with Sandman, that it is not because someone doesn’t know how to use a computer that he or she has to be labelled lazy or what-not.
I’d pay someone to change my car tires, just because I can’t be bothered. So, have a laugh at me. :smiley:[/quote]
I don’t know you or your habits but most of the people I know who are Apple fans have zero interest in reading manuals or learning how things work. In general they seem quite happy to use their devices the way they were delivered and don’t wish to delve into tweaking it or figuring out how it works. Apple for the most part has it’s target well defined and it works for them. None of this bothers me until my lazy friends can’t figure out how to do something and want it done for them. I grew up with Basic and DOS and while I wouldn’t describe myself as a geek, I don’t mind figuring things out for myself. I’m willing to teach anyone anything I know, but I can’t stand people who want to be spoon-fed. I can’t quite figure out if Apple has raised a generation of people too lazy to read or research things for themselves, or merely savvy enough to recognize that such a demographic exists and market to it exclusively. There is a whole swath of other devices people are getting too lazy to read manuals for, so the potential for Apple seems pretty much unlimited.

Disclaimer. I’m neither tattooed with the Apple logo, nor anti-Apple. I used to run iMacs years ago, own various iPods and an iPhone.

[quote=“sandman”]
I mean, of course anyone who’s never bothered to even learn to play the horn is a total moron as well as being basically a lazy shite. [/quote]
You giving horn lessons???