To be or not to be Taiwanese or Chinese

Hi people :shock:

I’m for my 5th time in Taiwan and lived in China,Korea and Japan before.My job is translator for German and Korean -Japanese and perhaps someday English and Chinese.

I personally think Taiwanese people are quiet different to Chinese people. :wink: because I used to live with Chinese people over 2 years and for me are the differences clear to see.

Under www.http://www.taiouan.com.tw/es_dir/dispatcher.php?page=list_announce.htm&cgi_cid=2 I found a very nice Taiwan Shop.

Now I also know Taiwanese history, which is totally different to China.

But some Taiwanese are very strange :x

If I call them in Taiwanese a Taiwanese…they dsipute at me and some even hit me, because they want to be called Chinese.

I thought all the old guys who came with the KMT are died out. :unamused:

And most students here even don’t know own history.I watched once elementary school classes and saw that the teacher strictly educates the students to be Chinese :smiling_imp:

I think under these condition PR CHina is not the problem for Taiwan, but own education system… :!:

And by the way…why in heavens do they put the pics of Dr.Sun Yat-sen everywhere :?:

And even call country’s father :? He never stepped a feet on Taiwan and he failed to change China from a warload feudal system into a republic. :imp:

This is incorrect. Sun Yat-sen visited Taiwan at least once. There’s a small park just east of the Taipei Train Station that memorializes one such visit.

unfortunately they are still around. The hardline KMT, CNP, and PFP are where these people are. They still control the top ranks of the military.

Well the education system was designed for everyone to learn about the history and culture of China. It is not until the last 20 years or so that Taiwan history is even discussed. The education system is the reason why most young people in Taiwan can not speak the languages of their parents (Taiwanese, Hakka, or aboriginal). There were rules against speaking another language other than Mandarin in the schools. Kids were punished for speaking another language. It’s part of the cultural cleansing that the KMT try to do in Taiwan. A lot of the culture was saved by the people in the south who were far enough away from Taipei to escape some of the rules. Also the immigration to the US also help preserve some of the culture and language. You will notice that the kids that were brought up in the US tend to know Taiwanese more than Mandarin.

[quote=“TWpatriot”]
And by the way…why in heavens do they put the pics of Dr.Sun Yat-sen everywhere :?:

And even call country’s father :? He never stepped a feet on Taiwan and he failed to change China from a warload feudal system into a republic. :imp:[/quote]

Well you have to realize that no matter what people may think of Taiwan, the government is still the ROC. It’s not a Taiwanese government. The ROC constitution still have positions for the representative for Outer Mongolia and other positions related to China. It was not until about a decade ago that the position of governor of Taiwan was abolished, which put Soong out of a job. The ROC is still living in a delusional bubble. Any attempt to burst that bubble is fiercely attacked by the Chinese in Taiwan.

Mark

That’s really interesting. I had no idea about these visits. I knew that Sun Yat-sen spent much of his adult life in exile, planning one failed revolution after another. He went to Japan after yielding power to Yuan Shikai, I guess this could have been when he visited Japan’s prized colony.

Does anyone know more? I guess I should go back to the Memorial again.

I was wondering why there was a great big Sun Yat Sun Memorial Hall and a little tiny one. It at the north end (the end you never go go) at the Railway Station, exit 1&2 of the MRT, but it was shut when I last went there