To Cell or not to Cell

Hello people,

I’ll be in Tainan in 2 weeks from now and I have 2 (3-4) dumb and quick questions concerning phones.

I was thinking of buying a cell phone and not have a phone at the apartment where I’ll be living, since I don’t see the point in having 2 different numbers and find cell phones more practical. But I am no tech-genius, so I am wondering…:

1. If one can call from Taiwan to Canada from a cell phone?

2. Should I buy my cell phone here in Quebec Canada, or are they cheaper in Taiwan.

3. If I do buy a cell phone here in Montreal, is it “compatible” to Taiwan standards? (see how little I know 'bout this technology?)

4. Finally, I have heard that Yahoo offers great prices for overseas calls, but I have yet to find anything about it on their site. Please, little help?

Gracias.

misterno.

I am also from Canada. Definately get a cell because it is cheaper to call from your cell here (to Canada) in Taiwan than it is a home-phone! Everyone here has one anyways…I would buy it here and not in Canada. Hope this helps

International rates are very cheap from a cell phone; perhaps cheaper than from a home phone now. However, as far as I understand, any phone you buy in the U.S./Canada is on a completely different system from the rest of the world (including Taiwan). So just get a phone out here… you can get pretty decent deals, especially if you apply for a phone number with a year-long contract.

Good luck!

1) If one can call from Taiwan to Canada from a cell phone?
Yes, no problem.

2) Should I buy my cell phone here in Quebec Canada, or are they cheaper in Taiwan.
Buy here, in connection with a number (a SIM card) the phones will be subsidised. See also 3)

3) If I do buy a cell phone here in Montreal, is it “compatible” to Taiwan standards? (see how little I know 'bout this technology?)
Most likely not.
[/b]

Thanks guys. You’ve been very helpful on this matter, and that pretty much wraps it up.

Except for one thing.

My brother in law lives in Japan, and he says he’s getting killer deals by being connected to Yahoo? Any of you out there ever heard of such a thing in Taiwan? And tell me, I’m curious: How much does it costs you (whoever) for an overseas call to Canada? What are the best rates so far?

You may want to consider the slight problem that you won’t have Internet access unless you get a cable modem. If you’re ok with that (Tainan has plenty of Internet Cafes I believe) then you’re fine.

Your brother in law may be using Yahoo messenger (IP to phone). That usually requires a computer and a broadband connection. I’m not too sure, that’s the only phone calling I’ve heard related to yahoo.

You can use a US/Canadian phone only if it is a TRI-BAND GSM phone. There are services in many parts of the north americas using GSM 1900, and the rest of the world uses GSM 900/1800. Many of the phones here are not tri-band, which means you can’t get them connected at home.

It’s probably cheaper to buy one here, but the comment about them being cheap in connection with a SIM card pre-supposes you get a Taiwanese person to guarantee your 2-year contract.

When I was first here, and didn’t have a guarantor (or credit history, it’s the same shit as the USA) I had to use a pre-paid account. You buy cards from 7-11 etc. Mine (Far Eastone) worked out at NT$13.20 per minute, which soon mounts up.

I believe you need an ARC to get a home phone line. Does anyone know if this is correct? I may be giving it a go in the next week or so, and will keep you posted when I find out for sure.

13$ bucks a minute?? Ouch! Well, I guess people back at home won’t be hearing my voice very often. I can’t believe this is the best rate yet available! I think I’ll try to find out what yahoo is all about. My brother in law was paying something like 0.25 cents Canadian per minute with Yahoo from Osaka. Si I’m telling you guys (and girls) out there, because I think a lot of people are getting ripped off!

Oh well, thanks boys. At least It gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Using Chung Hua’s fixed line with their “019” service, the IDD charge from Taiwan to the US/Canada is NT$3.6/minute. :sunglasses:

eyp.com.tw/rates/rate_data.php

Oh yeah, 13 bucks NT. That’s like 50 Canadian cents a minute. Hmmm, sorry 'bout that tmwc, I wasn’t paying attention…

But 3.6$ a minute? WOW! That certainly IS a deal! Got that everyone? Here is the cheapest way to call home sweet home. Thanks to Chung, no more reason to feel homesick anymore.

Wow…it’s interesting to see the rate differences across countries…

It costs me 3.9 CENTS/minute to call Taiwan from the US. And this isn’t one of those 2.5cents/min-but-only-on-Mondays-with-a-full-moon-and-additional-charges-up-the-wazoo cards.

But I digress…
The cheapest way to call international is to buy one of those Chunghwa e-phone cards and call toll-free from a pay phone (if you don’t have a landline).

cht.com.tw/CHTFinalE/Web/Pro … ?CatID=550

Looks like around 6NTD at peak time periods to Canada.