To clear this up

Taken from Hess’ website…

[quote]A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline OR
An Associate’s degree with a TEFL / TESOL Certificate.

The Bureau of Education does not recognize any other form of certification including diplomas, unless you can prove from your school that what you have studied is the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree.[/quote]
The associate’s part… If I am reading this correctly, the associates and TEFL cert have to be related? Or can the associate’s be from one school, and the TEFL cert be from another? :s

You just need an Associate Degree from any accredited college/university - the TEFL/CELTA can be completely unrelated. I have an Associate in Liberal Studies along with a CELTA, and it allowed me to get a work permit/ARC without any problems. I did have to provide my transcripts, though.

Sweet! Thanks… that wording there totally threw me off.

If the associates is from a regionally-accredited community college (in the region Pennsylvania schools belong to…), will that work? Or is there a specific accreditation that I should be looking for?

[quote=“brianUS”]Sweet! Thanks… that wording there totally threw me off.

If the associates is from a regionally-accredited community college (in the region Pennsylvania schools belong to…), will that work? Or is there a specific accreditation that I should be looking for?[/quote]
I’m not sure. I think as long as it’s a recognized accreditation board it should be fine; there are only a handful throughout the entire country. If your credits are transferable to, say, Penn State, then your degree should be fine.

My degree is from the University of Maine, but my transcripts also showed a year of community college in Oregon and it wasn’t a problem.

I have another Q about this.

I read on dewey’s site that you need to get your “degree notarized” by the Taiwan Embassy.

Do I need to get the TEFL cert notarized as well, or only the associates?

I’m taking the www.onlinetefl.com course at the moment. But if I only need the associates notarized, I’ll do that before I finish the course.

I didn’t have to have anything notarized. In fact, when my school applied for my work permit they only used a photocopy of both my degree and CELTA.