To get fired or quit?

Please let me apologize in advance if this thread offends anyone.

I am currently working in a non-English teaching job. It is a legal job with an ARC, issued through the Ministry of Economics, I think.

I want to leave this job. Is it better for me to “get fired” or just quit? By get fired, I mean tell my employers that they should fire me, if they don’t like how I am doing my job. Any advantages to this? Or is it just burning bridges and trying to live out a fantasy of telling my employers off?

Also, how would this affect getting another ARC in the future?

Thanks for your input.

I have burned many a bridge. In hindsight, I’m sorry.

I’d advise against doing the same.

Depends if you want them on the phone to the Foreign Affairs dept at police HQ to tell them to cancel your ARC on the same day, or at some time during the next 30 days as the law (IIRC) requires. Otherwise, no difference. Put another way, if you need the time to find another job and get yourself a new ARC based on that, then resign quietly and ask if they’ll hang off on the phone call for a few weeks. If you don’t care about that or getting references, then have at it :wink:

[quote=“fee”]Please let me apologize in advance if this thread offends anyone.

I am currently working in a non-English teaching job. It is a legal job with an ARC, issued through the Ministry of Economics, I think.

I want to leave this job. Is it better for me to “get fired” or just quit? By get fired, I mean tell my employers that they should fire me, if they don’t like how I am doing my job. Any advantages to this? Or is it just burning bridges and trying to live out a fantasy of telling my employers off?

Also, how would this affect getting another ARC in the future?

Thanks for your input.[/quote]

Not too sure who you work for… but perhaps talking to your boss before you either send an email saying that you have quit… else forcing their hand to fire you by admitting that or convincing them that you are doing a terrible job
Why do you want to leave… is it cause you think you are doign a terrible job or cause your company to work for …sucks

I have found from a couple of jobs I left either cause I thought they sucked else I was going to another company that putting a little effort into leaving amicably (eventhough they may they were complete pricks ) seemed always the best way… there are no advantages in the methodology you have desribed in leaving the job by trying to get fired … what will you tell your next employer

My understanding, which could be flawed, is that if you quit, the company has no obligation to pay you severance, which they would have to pay if you were laid off.

Then there’s the question of what you have contracted to do. If you’ve signed up for a year then they’re going to be really pissy if you just walk out.

I made such a pain in the arse of myself in China that my boss concluded that the best thing to do was to negotiate my departure. They paid me, I gave them time to find a replacement. Everyone was as happy as they could be under the circumstances.

I’ve seen similar done here, and it appeared to go quite well - but the employer cancelled the ARC without telling my friend. ie they went back on the agreement they had made to get his co-operation.

I quit my job here a while back and my employer did exactly the same thing. It’s taken nearly two months to get the termination documents they are supposed to have sent me, and I can’t get a new work permit without.

If I was to decide to move from my current position, which would have to be because of a much better offer, then I would talk to them first. I would explain the situation, give them the opportunity to talk me round, and give them a reasonable chance to replace me. That’s because they’re decent people who have treated me well, but if they were a bunch of c***s like IACC then they could expect no mercy.

What job is it that you wish to leave? Maybe I want it. :laughing:

Wolf is right: you quit, no cash. But you get fired you are (usually) entitled to a severance payment though it might depend on the terms and conditions stipulated in your contract and of course the local regulations / laws.

If you quit, you might also forfeit your right to any bonus that year. If they boot you out, you probably have a claim to a pro-rata share of what you were expecting at the end of your contract or CNY.
As you are thinking of leaving right now, I assume you want to take the CNY bonus and run … but just a guess! :shock:

Thanks for the advice from everyone. To Monkey, yep! Getting the bonus and taking off–that’s exactly what I was thinking. And to Wolf, nope! You don’t want this job.

You don’t want to tell us the story do you? Haven’t heard a good down on his luck story for a few weeks I reckon :smiling_imp:

No down-on-my-luck story for you, Amos. I am just trying to make the best of a bad situation and moving on to better things. No ill will toward my employers, but I am looking out for myself.

I don’t know your whole situation, but from the way you describe it the professional thing to do would be to quit with ample notice. Telling off the boss can be tempting, but unless you can be sure it won’t come back to haunt you, it’s not worth it.

As for the severence pay, are employers required to pay it if you’re fired for cause (eg, because you’re bad at your job, got caught drinking on the job, etc)?

But what exactly was your job?

BTW, if you are leaving the island, never coming back, don’t need references, just the CNY bonus and run, honey.

But what exactly was your job?

Um, it actually still is my job. In fact, I am here again today. And the more that I consider what others have said, the more I believe that it is probably best to leave on good terms. It’s probably more useful in the long run than the possible monetary gains. Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

Dont inform them until after new year that you are leaving. You don’t want to give them an excuse to cut your bonus. They will do this if they can. It’s standard practice round here to leave after chinese new year (as I myself may do!!!). If your staying in Taiwan they should be happy enough with a months notice. Getting severance pay in Taiwan??? Ehhh
I imagine this may be very difficult except for if you are trying to get it off a major organisation. You would probably have had to have worked a number of years. It’s definitely better to go quietly if you are sticking around…Taiwan is a fairly small place. You may bump into some of the people again or somebody might help you out if you have not been visibly ‘a bad boy’ to be avoided by employees. Of course with some bosses you can’t help telling them to shove it but try and take a deep breath first. If yer heading off into the sunset think of the bonus as your severance pay and ride off into the sunset never for them to see your face again.

Do you work for the secret service?

I could tell you . . . but then I’d have to eliminate you (just joking). No, nothing so serious, Tonygo.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Now, when it comes to quitting, then what’s the notice period, say if you have been there 10 months, 1 year, 2 years etc?

It really depnds on the situation. Some companies kick you out the door the day you give notice, especially if you have access to priveleged databases or information or are leaving on bad terms. I gave about 1 month’s notice in the last 2 jobs I left, since I knew they’d have a hard time finding a replacement.