To tell or not - fixing a male that was supposed to be female

Bit of a dilemma here.

Occassionally -if luck is with me- I grab one of the many strays in my hood, fix them up -shots, desexings, the works- and either find a home or CNR.

Well, there are these two kittens who are adorable, and one of them sneaked his way into the heart of one of the local market ladies. The other one followed. The first one -let’s call him White- is a male, and I have helped the lady take him to the vet and start the process of “fixing”. However, the market lady is quite concerned about “Stripes” -the second one- as “she is a female cat” and will come up with kittens soon if we do not fix her first, before getting her shots. The market lady is not sure about keeping the second cat, but she is adamant that it has to be fixed ASAP.

So I take Stripes to the vet and lo and behold, we were wrong. Dude looks like a lady but his testicles have descended -how did we miss that?!- and the vet reccommends to have his ehem, appendages removed the soonest. Before CNY is suitable for me.

Now, the market lady is not that keen on having the male kittens desexed -she’s sure that makes them dumb, like the fat, old, lazy, spoiled Black cat she has now. I am afraid that if I tell her Stripes is a male, she’ll say it is not necessary to have him fixed, shots OK but no removal, thanks.

Firts of all, I am the one picking up the tab. Also, if the market lady does not want Stripes, then I still need to have him fixed before finding a home.

I have kept my mouth shut so far and I am thinking about taking him to be fixed anyways. Any thoughts on the issue?

Get him fixed!

This market lady’s attitude is part of the reason there are so many strays in the world. If he gets another cat pregnant, what will happen to the kittens in the future?

But she’s having “White” fixed?

I don’t think so. I can’t convince her to. I have told her about cat AIDS and infections fron scratches… guess she’ll have to see it to believe it.

I just feel a little guilty… and can’t help to break into a stupid grin every time she refers to Stripes as she, she and more she. :roflmao:

So, thought a few pictures would give more context. This is Stripes:

As you can see, she/he has a warm bed, is fed daily, and comes and goes as she/he pleases.

This is White:

He takes over the market lady’s seat and keeps it warm.

Maybe “you didn’t know”? I mean, if you really didn’t know, which you didn’t, then she probably will never know either. And it’s not like the cat is going to grow up and turn into a serial killer because his mom dressed him in cross-gender clothes, or something. Remember that in Chinese, “he” and “she” sound the same anyway… :2cents:

Oh, I am keeping my mouth shut. Biting my tongue so hard it bleeds but seems it looks that if Stripes is fixed then “she” can stay. Let’s see how it goes. And yes, the “I didn’t know”, “my Chinese is not very good so I did not understand” will work wonders in this context.

Yep, I am counting on the market lady not doing a through inspection…

Yes. If it were me, I’d just say that I took them to the vets to be fixed, and the vets didn’t ask any questions.

Yep, as long as no one finds out -no one talks- and since I am the one taking Stripes to the vet, it will be our little secret.

Think I’ll tell the vet to write “female” on the forms just to be sure…

Update: it’s been done. stripes has lost his “eggs”.

The vet and I, we’ve all done a pact of secrecy, since the market lady has stated keeping “her” after “she’s” fixed. Currently, Stripes is enjoying luxury accommodations at my “isolation chamber”. I’ll let him out tomorrow.

He’s very mild tempered and quiet. Did not put up a fight going to the vet’s, has been keeping to his basket, no screaming his head off. Very quiet, extremely affectionate, will make a lovely pet.

good decision… my cat is male apparently (adopted him when he was adult) but if I wasn’t told I would thought he’s a “she”. Those parts just look pretty unclear to me after cutting @_@

The only thing Stripes can do that might seems suspicious is humping :sunglasses: my cat has long lost his “eggs” but man, his humping energy is there everyday~ make up some story about female humping or sth maybe :slight_smile: just in case ~

Female dogs hump to show who’s dominant in a group of females only. I bet cat can do that too :wink:

I’m afraid I have bad news on this regard. Poor Stripes is terribly sick. Dunno what happened, Saturday he was playing with Whitey, Monday he could not move and was bleeding in the mouth. The market lady called me and asked me to help. I took him to the vet and the vet says he’s dehydrated and blood count is low and they have to run tests to see what the problem is, if he contracted some disease or what. Looks as if he’s not eaten in several days. Now, he has to stay in the hospital for several days. Ayiooo.

I am sorry to inform that Stripes crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. The vet thinks he ingested rat poison, as the bleeding couldn’t be stopped no matter the measures taken -we were about to take on of my fat cats for testing in order to give blood, but it was too late. Poor thing suffered a lot but the end was rather quick.

Such a pity a young, vibrant and playful kitten was so suddenly taken away from us. The market lady is devastated, has not slept in three days. But aside from locking the cats in a cage, it is difficult to prevent them from eating rubbish -or a trap, or a poisoned rat of the many in the market.

I rest assured that he had the best medical care I could afford under the circuinstances and that his life, while brief, was filled with warmth as he had people that cared for him and playmates that will miss him.

:cry:

[quote=“Icon”]I am sorry to inform that Stripes crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. The vet thinks he ingested rat poison, as the bleeding couldn’t be stopped no matter the measures taken -we were about to take on of my fat cats for testing in order to give blood, but it was too late. Poor thing suffered a lot but the end was rather quick.

Such a pity a young, vibrant and playful kitten was so suddenly taken away from us. The market lady is devastated, has not slept in three days. But aside from locking the cats in a cage, it is difficult to prevent them from eating rubbish -or a trap, or a poisoned rat of the many in the market.

I rest assured that he had the best medical care I could afford under the circuinstances and that his life, while brief, was filled with warmth as he had people that cared for him and playmates that will miss him.[/quote]

Young lady, I salute you for your valiant and compassionate efforts in trying to save Stripes. In fact, I salute you for all you do for the animals of Taiwan. Much love an condolences from my family to yours. :bow:

Nali, nali, sir. It is my obligation as a sentient human being. Can’t stand a pair of begging beady eyes…

; (

:cry:

Sorry to hear that, Icon.

awwwww… sorry to hear that :confused:
I must say, for Taiwan I am a fan of only indoor kitties. But it’s great Stripes had people to help him at all!