To upgrade from a marriage based ARC to an APRC or not?

Hello forum,

I was searching through old topics similar to this issue, and was unable to reach a firm conclusion. I’m hoping the forum could give some advice on what they think is the best course of action.

My Taiwanese wife and I plan to try our luck in the USA with our fall back being on returning to Taiwan if it doesn’t work out. I currently have a marriage based ARC through my wife. I would be eligible for an APRC based on the many years I’ve been working here. I just never got around to it, as the current situation of the marriage ARC was just fine.

So for someone such as myself that plans to leave Taiwan for X amount of years with a reasonable chance of returning, which one is superior? As in, which one would cause less hassle on reactivating/reapplying should I return after the expiration date.

Thank you for your help.

I will have a go. Rules are changing, and I must stress that it is worth discussing your plans with the NIA before applying.
The most ideal solution would be to get an APRC , using your job and not the “marriage” ARC.
You would have had to have stayed in Taiwan for 183 days of every year , for 5 years. In the last year, you would have to present your Tax returns, showing the minimum of twice the average income ( around 50k per month approx…check) . You need a criminal check ( easy from local Police station ) and your job should be "Professional " e.g. Teacher, Engineer etc.
If you part with the 10,000 fee and qualify on the basis above, you may leave Taiwan for 5 years , without notification. It would also not be dependent on your wife, should you break up.

If you are not applying for the APRC through work status, and simply apply under “marriage” and not “professional status” , the fee is the same , and very much less financial criteria etc. BUT you will still have to remain in Taiwan for 183 days every year, as the rules stand today.
You can apply for a “special” leave to stay away for up to 2 years though, which is normally granted if you have a good reason…and it MAY be possible to extend that again, but you need to check with NIA.
Hope that helps a little.
EDIT: Some may advise that all APRC holders are allowed to stay away for the 5 years. The Government in usual fashion "forgot " to mention in the Legislation, that it only applies to the “Professional APRC”. It is NOT the case.

3 Likes