Today's Chinese sentence - Aug 16-22 by Dragonbones

我 今天 早上 不 太 舒服,…
wo3 jin1tian1 zao3shang4 bu2 tai4 shu1fu2, …
I today morning not too comfy…
I don’t/didn’t feel too well this morning…

(followed by the reason)

…有 拉肚子
…you3 la1du4zi
…have pull stomach
…I had diarrhea

(or)

…有 一點 頭痛
…you3 yi1dian3 tou2tong4
…have a little head ache
…I had a bit of a headache

(or)

…有 喉嚨 痛, 還 有 一點 咳嗽。
…you3 hou2longtong4, hai2 you3 yi1dian3 ke2sou4
…have throat ache, also have a little cough
…I had a sore throat and a bit of a cough.

EDIT added: (or)

…有經痛
…you3 jing1tong4
…have menses pain
…I had menstrual cramps

???
ni? hao3 ke3lian2
You very pitiable (pitiful?).

[quote=“FearsomeOrange”]???
ni? hao3 ke3 lian2[/quote]

xie4xie!

I’d put ke3lian2 together as one compound, though
:wink:

I don’t know why I am suddenly unable to input proper Chinese characters. I have no trouble elsewhere (email, eg.), but for some reason I’m just getting ??? instead of the characters I had typed in. :frowning:

Have you tried going to View – Encoding in your browser and trying different formats?

Anyway, here are Wednesday’s, continuing as a conversation from the previous day’s:

你死了沒

:no-no: Now, now, the rule for the daily sentence threads is that you have to add pinyin with tone numbers, a word-for-word translation, then a normal translation. :taz:

ni3 si3le mei2
you died not
Are you dead yet?

:no-no: Now, now, the rule for the daily sentence threads is that you have to add pinyin with tone numbers, a word-for-word translation, then a normal translation. :taz:

ni3 si3le mei2
you died not
Are you dead yet?[/quote]

Grrrr.

1. Have no idea about the tones. Really. I suck at that. Why is it that people understand me?

2. People should get some on the fly translation tools to get their own pinyin

3. Pushing for the Chinese Language Forum

對不起, 我太笨. 沒辦法打拼音.

Wait, where is this rule?

Whatever gave you that idea? :laughing:

Regardless of temporary rules in effect for the “SEntence of the Day” thread, everyone is bound by the sticky on the Learning Chinese forum, which states that things are to be Romanized if possible and NOT posted only in Chinese characters. Everything is to be in a form that assists people learning Chinese. While the warning was intended for the flood of native Chinese-speaking posters we had at the time, it is equally in effect for furriners.

Well, consider it a request by the instigators and users of this thread series. :help:

[quote=“Ironman”]Can you do the following please! :bravo:
1.Put the numbers next to each word.
2. Write the actual words below in order i.e. He/She/ Very/ busy/ etc.
3. The sentence in English as we would say it.[/quote]

Bassman, this thread is for learning Chinese, not just spewing it :wink:
If you don’t know them, just take a minute to look the tones up in your handy little dictionary or ask one of your local nymphs, and you’ll learn as you post! :slight_smile:

對,你吃得不健康,都是漢堡、披薩、炸雞,太油的。
dui4, ni3 chi1de bu2 jian4kang1, dou1 shi4 han4bao3, pi1sa, zha4ji1, tai4 you2de.

right, you eat not healthy, all is hamburger, pizza, fried chicken, too oily

Right, your diet isn’t healthy; all you eat is burgers, 'za & fried chicken; it’s all greasy stuff.

Note: I’ve seen ‘pizza’ written both 披薩/比薩 pi1sa4/bi3sa4, but I mostly hear folks saying ‘pi1sa5’ (sic) or ‘pizza’; I don’t think I’ve actually heard anyone say ‘bi3sa4’. Anyway, you can just substitute the English pronunciation in here if you like.

I’ve noticed the pizza phenomenon also. I guess because these are really just sound loan/transliterations of foreign language words there are more variations. I’ve seen “latte” transliterated a couple ways. 拿鐵 (na2 tie3) seems the most common. Funny you should discuss transliterated words, though. I read a sign that read 香各里拉 xiang1 ge4 li3 la1 on a sign for a scuzzy little car motel out in Yangmei. It occured to me they call that dump “Shangri-La.” It SOOO isn’t.

Odd that some transliterated words like pizza can be pronounced in the original tongue and still be understood, while others like jacket or chocolate must be transliterated in a particular way in order to be understood.

How is jacket transliterated into Mandarin? I know the chocolate transliteration.

Odd that some transliterated words like pizza can be pronounced in the original tongue and still be understood, while others like jacket or chocolate must be transliterated in a particular way in order to be understood.[/quote]

I’ve noticed that with words like caramel machiato. You pretty much have to be true to the transliterated pronunciation, or there just isn’t comprehension.

甲克 jia3ke4

:raspberry: I “was” just “kidding”

Geez!

Things are to be Romanized “if possible” - Thank you … NOT POSSIBLE. Ok, “not only in Chinese Characters”… good… a quick translation.

I’m not good at this, but I’ll try.

屁股裡面的胡蘿蔔拿掉了沒有
Has that carrot been removed from your butt yet? :smiley:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Bassman, this thread is for learning Chinese, not just spewing it :wink:
If you don’t know them, just take a minute to look the tones up in your handy little dictionary or ask one of your local nymphs, and you’ll learn as you post! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yeash! You Chinese learners are a touchy lot. :wink:

Really, nice thread. Good idea. :slight_smile: