Today's Chinese sentence - Aug 16-22 by Dragonbones

Just jerkin yer chain, mate! :slight_smile:

BTW, I’ve got a used carrot for sale…

Just out of curiosity, how do you type in the Chinese characters? Don’t you use either pinyin or bopomofo plus a numeral for the tone? In which case, you have to know the tone to type it. :wink:

Ok, and now for the sentence of the day, continuing the above conversation:

多休息, 多喝水吧.
duo1 xiu1xi2, duo1 he1 shui3 ba.
more rest, more drink water + suggestion ptcl.
Well, you should rest more and drink more water.

[quote=“FearsomeOrange”]

甲克 jia3ke4[/quote]

夾克 jia2ke4

:rainbow:

甲克 jia3ke4[/quote]
夾克 jia2ke4
:rainbow:[/quote]

The problem here is that loan words (like pizza) are often inconsistently romanized; this naturally happens in every language.

ABC Compr. Dict. has these three:
茄克 jia1ke4 jacket
夾克 jia2ke4 jacket
甲克 jia3ke4 jacket

I learned #3 but I’ll yield to the native speaker Anisll on local preferences, of course. Especially if I know what’s good for me… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
The problem here is that loan words (like pizza) are often inconsistently romanized; this naturally happens in every language.

ABC Compr. Dict. has these three:
茄克 jia1ke4 jacket
夾克 jia2ke4 jacket
甲克 jia3ke4 jacket

I learned #3[/quote]

I’ve never(or I can’t recall seeing/hearing them) seen/heard #1 and #3, people here always pronouce it 夾克 jia2ke4. :wink:
But the world is big…

Huhm :beatnik:

:taz: :howyoudoin:

Bzzt, wrong answer. There are several IMEs available - including MS’s own Pinyin one - that don’t require tones. And thank Christ for that, because I’m shit at tones.

Ok, but it’s still a forum for learning Chinese, so please take the time to look the tones up when you post. How else do you expect to improve? :wink:

Osmosis?

You suck? :laughing:

No, I don’t need to know the tone. My input method is without tones at all. It selects the character in the context of the sentence. If you need to change the character you use the arrow keys to select another character. Standard input method on Chinese Win XP. OR I could be using 無什麼 (台語). Either way it would not be possible for me to know every (or any) of the tones for the characters that I am typing.

That was my plan too. It doesn’t work very well unless you don’t mind having a really, “interesting” they call it around here, accent.

無蝦米 :wink:

NOTE: puiwaihin has agreed to pick up the series starting tomorrow – Pls start a new thread for this, thanks!

Monday’s sentence:

看完醫生要記得按時吃藥!
kan4 wan2 yi1sheng1, yao4 ji4de2 an4shi2 chi1 yao4!
see finish doctor, want remember on-schedule eat medicine!
After you see the doctor, remember to take your meds on schedule!

=============================================
And here

Lovely work Dragonbones. Thanks so much. :notworthy:

無蝦米 :wink:[/quote]

See, I told you that I didn’t have a clue. :wink: